Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 23,083 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with replacing only the leach field of a septic system? Our situation is that we bought a home in Topsham 5 years ago and one of the conditions was that the seller had to replace the entire septic and leach field system. The owner did this properly with an approved design and local contractor, installing an enviroseptic system, which passed three different inspections by the town. We are now in the process of selling the house and the least of our worries was the septic inspection. Wrong! The inspector said that while the system was currently operating satisfactory the grade of sand used in the construction was not what was specified in the plan. The grade used was medium to fine while the plan called for course gravelly. He said this has reduced the absorption capacity of the field and could cause premature failure. Needless to say we were stunned and we are now looking for a way to save the sale but we can’t afford to replace the entire system at least not at some of the prices we have heard 10k and up. It seems like since the system is relatively new and according the inspector working properly that replacing the leach field would be the worst case scenario. One problem is that there is no other site on the property suitable for the field so it would have to remain on the current site. Also, has anyone run into an overzealous inspector? Our buyers are already in a rush because the original house that they had under contract fell through because of a septic inspection by the same guy which seems kind of strange. We are having the system inspected by different company this week. Figured I post here because since this happened I have found a lot of good info on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
We replaced our septic tank and added on to the existing leach field about 6 years ago. It was expensive. Well over 10K as I recall. Partly due to the temporary road they had to build to get the trucks into the site. It is quite a messy operation and ripped up the back yard for most of the summer. They finally got it all installed ,graded , loamed and seeded but did not use enough loam so when ever we get a dry summer all the grass on the top of the leach field baffles dies off and turns brown. If it was a bad install can you go back to the original installer? Sounds like he's the liable one.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
Don't you wonder if these inspectors don't have better things to do? Jee, the system works, why is it necessary to hassle the poor land owner with some new picyune regulation?

The people who bought my house in western pa were building a house in Northeastern pa and were being hassled unmercifully by inspectors who complained demaned more outlets, less windows, and other stupid items over and over again until they finally just sold it to someone else and moved to a place where the township has no money for picyune inspectors.

Z

Old 05-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Don't you wonder if these inspectors don't have better things to do? Jee, the system works, why is it necessary to hassle the poor land owner with some new picyune regulation?

The people who bought my house in western pa were building a house in Northeastern pa and were being hassled unmercifully by inspectors who complained demaned more outlets, less windows, and other stupid items over and over again until they finally just sold it to someone else and moved to a place where the township has no money for picyune inspectors.

Z
For some people any authority is their little power trip. They get to make up for being beat up on the playground and having their lunch money taken away.
You just wait.......someday I'll be sewer inspector and THEN you'll pay by golly ...I'll reject your leach bed AFTER it's all installed he he he. !!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:48 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
First thought is to check with the local Code Enforcement Officer to determine what the code is there. Could be the Inspector is wrong.
If he's correct and the field needs to be replaced the CEO will prompt you on any permit that is needed along with setbacks etc.
Home inspectors are hired by the buyer and are only looking out for him/her.
Good luck!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 23,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
First thought is to check with the local Code Enforcement Officer to determine what the code is there. Could be the Inspector is wrong.
If he's correct and the field needs to be replaced the CEO will prompt you on any permit that is needed along with setbacks etc.
Home inspectors are hired by the buyer and are only looking out for him/her.
Good luck!
We did check with the local code inspector unfortunately he is not the one who acually inspected the system when it was installed. That guy is no longer with them and they had nothing good say about him which doesn't help me. The code inspector did say that the grade of sand is very important in our type of system. At this point we are hoping that we do not have redesign the system and start from scratch.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I have been on local planning boards since 1973. I have never heard of anybody walking away from a deal with a functioning septic system that passed three town inspections. It looks like your buyer hired somebody to find a way out of the deal. Having septic systems inspected with no evidence of a problem is very unusual.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have been on local planning boards since 1973. I have never heard of anybody walking away from a deal with a functioning septic system that passed three town inspections. It looks like your buyer hired somebody to find a way out of the deal. Having septic systems inspected with no evidence of a problem is very unusual.
NMLM seems to have a valid point here. From what you posted about the inspector having no friends he may very well be a plant by the potential buyer to get something for nothing or at least sweeten the deal toward the buyer's side.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 823,969 times
Good idea to have the system inspected by an inspector that you hire. They will have no incentive to give you innacurate info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: