U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,625,772 times

Advertisements

I am curious....I've lived in several states and have explored many CD threads on places as I look to possibly relocate (retired). What dumbfounds me again and again is the "solidarity" that Maine folks have with each other....those who live there, and those who can't wait to live there.

And Maine is such a huge diverse place! From coastal to mountains to flatlands, north to south, east to west, city to town/township....it's like a foreign country in many ways, with its vast land and different cultures.

So..what is it that makes you all so united in spirit and so gung-ho about your state??? (I don't see that anywhere else, maybe CA...but there's more Californians who want to move away than Maineahs who want to....)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,387,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am curious....I've lived in several states and have explored many CD threads on places as I look to possibly relocate (retired). What dumbfounds me again and again is the "solidarity" that Maine folks have with each other....those who live there, and those who can't wait to live there.

And Maine is such a huge diverse place! From coastal to mountains to flatlands, north to south, east to west, city to town/township....it's like a foreign country in many ways, with its vast land and different cultures.

So..what is it that makes you all so united in spirit and so gung-ho about your state??? (I don't see that anywhere else, maybe CA...but there's more Californians who want to move away than Maineahs who want to....)
I think people from every state has alot of state pride, ever talk to a Texan? I do think Mainers have alot of "solidarity", same here in Vermont, very strong in Wyoming. Believe it or not there are many New Yorkers(NYC) who feel it is the greatest place in earth and wouldn't live anywhere else. Never got that feeling from people from Mass.

When I lived in Maine or here in Vermont it seems alot of folks I come across from Mass or even Ct many times say "I wish I could live here". Course, those who can afford it have vacation homes in northern NE.

Just a personal observation in reading posts in here but there is a real split between those who live south of Bangor and those who live to the north. A few dis's from people from the north like " everything south of Bangor is northern Mass" or "people from Portland are not really Mainers" are some comments. I don't remember reading any digs towards Mainers from the North Woods or Downeast. Same thing in New York with "people from the city" and the rest of the state and also between folks from northern CA and southern CA. An old friend from San Francisco thinks southern CA is "gross".

Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,427,919 times
I don't think you can tie it to Maine singly. I've seen the same in Louisiana, Georgia, New Hampshire, Arizona. Not so much in Jersey. UK also. I've even seen it combine states; mostly southern ones. We are quite united but so are a lot of others.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 AM

299 posts, read 426,388 times
Speaking as someone born in Mass, living in Mass but grew up in the Mid-West....

Massachusetts has a strange mix of folks. People come here mostly to work and don't think of the mainland of Massachusetts as a vacation area/place they want to retire to, for the most part. Alot of the folks in mainland Mass are from out of state and don't have the history and emotional attachment. They also leave for better paying jobs in other states or nicer climate states when they retire. Boston has a little bit of Mass pride going on but not to the extent that you are talking about.

The exception to this is the old time Cape Codders that live on Cape Cod year round. Or even the summer people that religiously go to Cape Cod year after year. There is a history, love and pride for the area. They consider themselves different from the rest of Mass and the rest of the world. Not better just not like the offlanders.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:10 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,063,700 times
Hey.... except for one year when I lived in Nutcase, New Jersey, I've always lived in PA(60 years now) and traveled all over the country. The two places where the people were the nicest were South Carolina and Maine, and especially Mount Desert island, in Maine. I've chosen to bring my retirement money and my other money into the Maine economy(I've already pumped lots of money into the economy of Bar Harbor in the form of a house).

On MDI, I know that people there are tied together by the love for the island, its a palpable thing. I know of one person who moved there who actually refused to even go off island for 2 years because the was afraid it would be like Brigadoon and disappear in the "loaming".

BUT....

I've never heard anyone say they were proud to be from Pennsylvania!! No Clannishness for Pennsylvanians!

Z

Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 AM

7,727 posts, read 11,649,548 times
Quote:
I don't remember reading any digs towards Mainers from the North Woods or Downeast.
Guess you missed comments about how all the State revenue comes from the southern part of the State and that most in the northern part are welfare roll drug addicts.
Maine is a nice place to live (IMO). We aren't stacked up against each other like cordwood, there's room to breath. do have some isues with legislation but, we aren't legislated to death like some places.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 AM

6,933 posts, read 5,098,987 times
I know what you are asking............good question.
It is cultural. I believe a big part of it is that Maine is way up here, on its own, and has little connection to many other states. We never were a big, important state like NY or California or Texas, etc. We had to kind of stick together to feel like we didn't really NEED all that much from the outside world. We have a peculiar willingness to forego being part of the big action. It means we have to find something good about being here (and there are good things). We all can relate to that pursuit and endeavor, since we're all faced with it. We have a certain sympathy towards one another, since we know from personal experience what it's like to live in an unimportant "backwater". But people want to feel good about yourself, and your home place. So we try to do that together (feel good about your self and your place)............more specifically, we've always tried to come together to celebrate the good things about our selves and our place, AND to try to improve ourselves and our place so that it's easier to live with who we are and where we are.
Does that make any sense?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:22 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,063,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
We have a certain sympathy towards one another, since we know from personal experience what it's like to live in an unimportant "backwater".
Maine is not the only one to have this. When I owned land and property in western PA in the mountains, it was almost like living in the Black Forest in Germany. The local daily paper rarely had anything in it from the outside world. The people generally felt as if they were left on their own, and the PA government didn't care about them. It does generate a kind of xenophobia combined with a them against us attitude.

Interestingly, we have friends we've known since before we bought the property and who lived only 2 miles from the property. Since we've sold it, they've been very very distant, and have said several times that we have shunned them and their way of life by leaving. It was none of the sort, but if they were here they would be talking about people "from away" who come and take an then leave, and be thinking of us I suppose. When we were there, they rarely had time for us; they would often agree to come over for dinner, and then call 15 minutes before, while all the preparations had been made, to say they weren't coming because something "came up", or that they were having a fight. They never stopped by on their own without an invitation. We always felt as if we were the Cinderella step sister, but we joined the local church, and participated whenever we were there.

Its not just Maine, its everywhere where its isolated, I think.

Z

Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,387,490 times
One piece that unifies states without a major city and major sports teams like Maine, Vt or Wyoming become unified both as a state and a region with the closest major league sports teams.

In Wyoming everyone is a Bronco fan and there blue and orange everywhere. In NE it's the Patriots, Red Sox and the Celtics, especially in Maine. I remember a few years ago when the Sox won the WS and they had a parade in Portland. I did feel that day that Portland was part of Mass but it's also a regional thing.

Staying with the sports factor, states that have just one major state university is another thing that fosters a solidarity. In Wyoming there is only one 4 year university in the whole state. The Casper campus does offer 4 year degress but it's not the same. Wyomingites will travel as far as 400 miles to attend a U. of Wyoming football game. Same for UVM and UM probably more for hockey, also basketball for UVM, football for Maine. I don't think there is a New Jersey State University or U. of New Jersey. I know they do have a state college system. New York University is a private college in NYC. I also think there is some state pride for UMASS and UCONN.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:32 PM

19,499 posts, read 26,964,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

what makes us so united?
besides being related, Allen's coffee brandy

Most mainers are quite humble, we despise arrogance, we like our privacy, while at the same time we are their to help one another if needed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine