Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM

103 posts, read 194,348 times

Advertisements

Just what you want to hear - another family moving into Maine lol!!

Currently our family, my husband, myself and our six children (ages 12 down to 1) live in NJ and are thinking of relocating to Maine. We have been traveling up there for over 12 years now every summer from places ranging from Bar Harbor to Portland to Sebago (which we were pronouncing SebOgo as in "log" and not A with a long a - a true Mainer corrected us once and we were so embarrassed )

We live on a small farm in the Southern part of NJ with a horse and some chickens, a couple of German Shepherds on guard etc...but I and my children hate the heat and humidity and fast pace lifestyle. NJ has the highest property taxes as well as the highest car insurance prices in the country. The top reason for a move would be weather. The majority of us prefer winter weather. My health is always much poorer when the humidity kicks in around here which is often! My one son has horrible allergies and asthma and I just wonder if the cleaner air might do him some good? Our children are all homeschooled so it would not matter much where we moved, though the Portland area is our favorite since it is one of the few places that offers a Traditional Latin Mass.

We've been toying with the idea for years and haven't taken the plunge. We have friends and family all here in the mid-atlantic region. It is a very big deal to move a family of 8 to another state and I guess I would like to hear the good the bad and the ugly about life up there. Again, the weather doesn't frighten me. I know how to drive in the snow and bitter temps aren't a problem. We currently heat exclusively by wood stove through our winters now as it is.

Thanks in advance!
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
What would you expect to do for a living?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:53 PM

I am a medical transcriptionist (can go anywhere) and my husband is in the IT field - he would have to have employment before we settled up there or considered going up that way with the economy the way it is.

Why do you ask?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
kellym, husband, six children , and assorted animals - welcome to the Maine CD Forum!

Sounds like you have great, portable employment, which is excellent !

It can be humid here in the summer, with elevated ozone a possible concern for your son's respiratory health. It tends to be more humid when you get away from the immediate coast, & too, properties can be more expensive nearer the coast.

I can imagine it would be monumental for you to move away from well established friendships & your extended family. Reading your introduction, this is definitely something I would strongly consider as you explore moving. I've lived here seventeen years, and now my nearest relatives are in Texas. As I become older, I pine for the closeness of family, but I definitely don't pine for Texas !

I'm sure other folks will respond with thoughts for you to consider. I do wish you all the best as you decide on what is best for your family.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
Just what you want to hear - another family moving into Maine lol!!
That is wonderful,

Welcome

Quote:
... Currently our family, my husband, myself and our six children (ages 12 down to 1) live in NJ and are thinking of relocating to Maine.
We have a dear friend who moved from NJ to Me a few months ago. She is enjoying Maine a great deal.

Quote:
... We have been traveling up there for over 12 years now every summer from places ranging from Bar Harbor to Portland to Sebago (which we were pronouncing SebOgo as in "log" and not A with a long a - a true Mainer corrected us once and we were so embarrassed )

We live on a small farm in the Southern part of NJ with a horse and some chickens, a couple of German Shepherds on guard etc...but I and my children hate the heat and humidity and fast pace lifestyle. NJ has the highest property taxes as well as the highest car insurance prices in the country.
We do not have the heat of NJ, and of course our property taxes are much lower so you should fit right in.

Our vehicle insurance rates stayed exactly the same when we moved.

Quote:
... The top reason for a move would be weather. The majority of us prefer winter weather. My health is always much poorer when the humidity kicks in around here which is often! My one son has horrible allergies and asthma and I just wonder if the cleaner air might do him some good? Our children are all homeschooled so it would not matter much where we moved, though the Portland area is our favorite since it is one of the few places that offers a Traditional Latin Mass.

We've been toying with the idea for years and haven't taken the plunge. We have friends and family all here in the mid-atlantic region. It is a very big deal to move a family of 8 to another state and I guess I would like to hear the good the bad and the ugly about life up there. Again, the weather doesn't frighten me. I know how to drive in the snow and bitter temps aren't a problem. We currently heat exclusively by wood stove through our winters now as it is.

Thanks in advance!
K
Sounds great!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Reading your introduction, this is definitely something I would strongly consider as you explore moving. I've lived here seventeen years, and now my nearest relatives are in Texas. As I become older, I pine for the closeness of family
This is a VERY big consideration. We do have close friends in Mass. who relocated from NJ and love it there. They would only be about three hours from us should we make the move up there.

We are considering asking our mother-in-law to come with us as well and look for a farm that has a mother-in-law suite, though she probably would not like the Maine winters and might return to Jersey for that part of the year.

Who knows....

Old 05-24-2010, 04:36 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
This is a VERY big consideration. We do have close friends in Mass. who relocated from NJ and love it there. They would only be about three hours from us should we make the move up there.

We are considering asking our mother-in-law to come with us as well and look for a farm that has a mother-in-law suite, though she probably would not like the Maine winters and might return to Jersey for that part of the year.

Who knows....
I'm guessing that you are looking to move to Southern Maine as opposed to other areas of Maine? (That would change what responses you might get here about how life is..).

Old 05-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Yes, I'm sorry - Southern Maine - probably within 30 miles of Portland.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
hmmm, maybe try copying & posting your message in the Portland, ME forum...I'll miss you, already, though!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:08 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
No help with living in southern Maine, but I can tell you that allergies will follow you. They may be less the first 12 months, but even if Maine doesn't have the exact same allergens that NJ has, you will develop new ones to the irritants in Maine. I'm an allergy sufferer and can tell you with absolute certainty that this is true. Sad, but true.

Allergies would not keep me from making a move. If you find that Maine is the right place for you and your family, then welcome and enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine