Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times

Advertisements

I know I've said this before, but perhaps it is worth repeating.

If you want your new Maine neighbors to take you seriously, as in you are here to stay and not just testing the waters, change out those license plates ASAP.

Do NOT start every sentence (or any sentence) with, "well, in (insert name of State), we do/did things this way and it was much better. #1 BIGGEST turn off to anyone who has been lucky enough to live in Maine their entire life.

Get involved in the community. If you have kids, get yourself to the school and volunteer. Same with the public library or, if you choose, one of the local churches. Get involved, but don't try to take over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 02:23 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Definately not peaceful: Man charged in Matinicus lobsterman shooting - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/111083.html - broken link)

You might want to watch the movie "The Islander" too. Great movie and no Tom Bosley accents.
Already have the DVD sitting on my shelf for more than a month since it was delivered, and waiting for a good time to watch it (I was thinking of this weekend, but I'm too busy to relax and enjoy it).

Old 05-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Well bud, you still don't mess (Expletive deleted) with lobstermen/women. You really do not want to find yourself on their badside. Even today. Not trying to be a jerk here but I'm surprised you didn't read about the shooting off one of the midcoast islands and the following trial. I'll try to find the link.

As for the boat noise, I know the point you're making. I got a call at work one November morning from some folks from Texas. WHen the bought their house on the point in July it was idyllic with views of the quaint little fishing village and the quaint little fishing boats cruising up and down the coast. Then came the opening day of scallop season. And they found out that their popint was the spot where those big diesels could open up to fiull throrrle...at 5:30 AM. Not so quaint and idyllic then. He wanted me to swtop them from doing that. I told him the only way I thought might work would be for him to pay them a days wage and the might, just might stay home that day. He was not impressed. They winter in Texas now, and summer here.
No problem here--I love boats, especially sensible boats, as workboats are by necessity.

The smell of diesel brings back wonderful memories to me, from when I had my own pleasure boat back in the 1970s and 80s.

Along with sportsfishing magazines, I always picked up the latest issue of National Fisherman newspaper at my bait and tackle shop (the owner was a retired bayman).

I was always fascinated by working boats since I was a kid, when my Dad used to take me along to the docks to buy fish. It was somehow especially fascinating to see them still working the waters in the winter months, and seeing snow on the docks and around the shoreside fish dealers.

We had lobstermen in Long Island Sound too, and I respected them and was very happy that they were still working the waters, it somehow made the experience of boating much more fascinating than just having boring pleasure boats around, with thier mostly silly designs, operated mostly by ignorant people who spent most of their time making money and not educating themselves about anything else--including boats and waters.

In the late fall and early winter, commercial fishing boats were often my only company on the water, most pleasure boaters having hauled their boats soon after summer ended. Fall and early winter were my favorite times to be on the water.

Anyway, they start their motors in Maine at 5:30am? I thought it was earlier.

I should be up by then; if I'm not I won't need an alarm clock.

As for the sound, it's like when you love your wife you don't mind it if she snores.

I really think I'm not like most other people who move to Maine to be on or near the ocean.

In fact, I don't understand most of those people. They just seem to like looking at water and never thinking about the water or its history and hidden mysteries.

Or how it changes with the seaons, well, I could go on, but I just don't get those people either.

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 05-30-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Do you really want to live in a place where you can't be yourself?
Wouldn't bother me.

Anyway I'm too old to be bothered making any statements of any kind about who I am.

I'll be happy going along to get along.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Granted we have only visited, but the moment folks in our town of choice found out that our life goal is to move there, they talked our ears off and it was wonderful. I have never met people more down to earth and just plain nice as Mainers. If the ocean view didn't seal the deal- the people did!! I changed nothing about myself in action, deed or dress and they accepted me for the warm-hearted goofball that I am.

PS I am currently in Ohio and can't wait to get "home" to Maine!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Maine needs people. Newcomers are welcome. They contribute to our economy and bring different skills. Most new people understand that Maine will be very different than the place they came from. That is their hope.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine needs people. Newcomers are welcome. They contribute to our economy and bring different skills. Most new people understand that Maine will be very different than the place they came from. That is their hope.
It seemed a whole hack of a lot different and loved it. Preach on, brother.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
That is exactly what I have observed.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 AM

71 posts, read 173,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
BUT with this all being said, I am happy that I am here and when I go away on a vacation, I always say, "no place like home". Summers here are the absolute best.
I feel the same way when we go back to NY to visit. After a couple of days I'm ready to head home to Maine

Old 05-31-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Welcome.

Below is from the link I posted before (Maine.gov). Vehicle inspection is yearly and is $12.00. If it doesn't pass, your inspection sticker will be cut in half, and that tells law enforcement that your car won't pass inspection should you choose to drive it back home vs. having it towed.

The car insurance quotes I've gotten vary widely. That's a situation where you just have to shop around IMHO.

Property taxes are based on where you live and what services you have. Typically, the further you live from the city, the less expensive it will be. Some outlying communities of the cities have been smart to entice businesses to move into them - those communities will have lower taxes due to the business base. Property taxes are assessed on varying formulas that take into consideration the amount of acreage you have, the type of home and the year it was built, the home values around it, the services of the town (sewer, water, trash removal, etc) and the depreciation of the home (among other things dependent on the town where you live). Unorganized territories will be the least expensive because they typically don't have schools, services, etc...in other words, the more services rendered, the more you pay.

I've lived here my entire life. Most Mainers I know are not xenophobic. You can't take a small representation of people on an internet board as a representation of the whole. When people move up here, sometimes they bring their ways of thinking with them, and sometimes, those ways don't jive with what people think up here. Therein lies the problem. To me, that is an issue everywhere on the planet, and certainly not exclusive to Maine. IMHO, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" applies everywhere, and Maine is no exception.

The best rule of thumb as far as I'm concerned is to visit both during the summer and during mid to late February into early March for the best picture of both seasons.

Good luck.

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax -

"Excise Tax is an annual tax that must be paid prior to registering your vehicle. Except for a few statutory exemptions, all vehicles registered in the State of Maine are subject to the Excise Tax.
Excise Tax is defined by State Statute as a tax levied annually for the privilege of operating a motor vehicle or camper trailer on the public ways.

WHERE DO I PAY THE EXCISE TAX?
Excise Tax is paid at the local town office where the owner of the vehicle resides. When a vehicle needs to be registered, an excise tax is collected prior to the registration.

HOW MUCH IS THE EXCISE TAX?

The amount of tax is determined by two things:
  1. The age of the vehicle
  2. MSRP (manufactured suggested retail price)
HOW IS THE EXCISE TAX CALCULATED?
Excise Tax is calculated by multiplying the MSRP by the mil rate as shown below. The rates drop back on January 1 st of each year.

YEAR 1 .0240 mil rate
YEAR 2 .0175 mil rate
YEAR 3 .0135 mil rate
YEAR 4 .0100 mil rate
YEAR 5 .0065 mil rate
YEAR 6 .0040 mil rate

For example, a 3 year old car with an MSRP of $19,500 would pay $263.25.

WHERE DOES THE EXCISE TAX GO?

The town that collects the excise tax can use it as revenue towards the annual town budget. Typically, the revenue is spent on local road maintenance, construction and repair.

WHY IS THE TAX BASED ON MSRP?
Excise Tax was designed with equity in mind. In 1925, this tax was enacted as a Maine Law. At that time, the Legislature decided that the fairest tax assessment would be based on what the manufacturer suggests it sell for.
This law remained in effect for over 75 years to ensure that everyone who drives the same vehicle pay the same amount of tax.

One last thing: An antique auto falls under entirely differing rules for registration and inspection requirements. I also found this link from Lamoine and I'll add another from Maine. gov Motor Vehicle division: Auto Registration

Motor Vehicle: Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Good luck.

Out of curiosity, if someone has an expensive vehicle, might it be more practical not to register the vehicle, and simply pay the fine for the occassional ticket?

I mean, in and around the more rural towns, how often does one run across a patrol car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine