Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM

701 posts, read 1,077,456 times

Advertisements

Awwwww Ranger........I remembered! I'm just not good with words like others on the forum, I let them speak for me Thank you for starting the thread so that we all can remember and appreciate Memorial Day as something more than a day to grill out. It is much more important than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:04 PM

37,241 posts, read 60,963,154 times
My VFW post performed four memorial services, one at each of four different town's war monuments.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:05 PM

783 posts, read 1,565,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
only 7 ppl replied?nice way remember.
Ranger, I remembered. And I think about those who serve to protect (living or having made a supreme sacrifice) a lot, not just on Memorial Day.

This Memorial Day, I was thinking about how insulated my life has been from conflict. I read the news; see pictures of war torn places and those who are living and dying in its midst; yet, I am removed from it.

I do think of those who have stepped forward to take care of me. And I am grateful beyond words.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM

47,859 posts, read 21,881,052 times
I truly dont think that the number of responses to a post on CD Maine forum......is any indication of where people's hearts and minds were. It is easy to get all "holier than thou" and assume the worst of folks.....if folks were at parades or family gatherings or the beach.....that is part of the freedom that Memorial Day is all about....it isnt a National Day of Mourning....it is a holiday set aside to honor the sacrifices of those who died defending the American Way.....IMHO posting ones emotions on CD has little to nothing to do with it.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM

37,241 posts, read 60,963,154 times
My buddies at the VFW were really shocked that my Dw had to work on Memorial Day.

Federal employees worked a Federal holiday on a military base. Granted the gate guards work everyday, but this is a grocery store and they had to work on a Federal holiday.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,925 times
im sorry if i seemed a little harsh in my last post.i was just a little irritated and i know i should not have taken it out on the forum.and to poster # 14 for your info im not holier then now. i am me take me or leave me.i was looking at the 82 people who looked at the thread and only 7 posted.you dont have to tell me what the holidays about i got that part figured out.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:12 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
We want to thank all those that have served and are currently serving. Both retired Air Force veterans, my wife and I often mention how folks here in Maine repeatedly will say thank you when they learn of our 20+ year service and we are touched by the gesture. A beautiful day to be an American and a beautiful day to be one living in Maine.
Add another one. I'm late, but I was fortunate enough to enjoy spending time with mine, so I didn't post until now.

Thanks to all of those who served.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 820,199 times
Just saw this and am sorry I didn't see it sooner. I attended a parade back in NH in my town. It is usually a small one but a dignified one as they all should be. Like others here, it is a time to remember those who came before us, those we lost with us and those who have served and are now serving. Some are now gone, some are still with us and though I may be negligent in thinking about them all the time, Memorial Day brings us all together again. Semper Fi to all who served and are serving.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,385,168 times
Happy belated Memorial Day.

God bless the troops past and present.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
My son's family came up to visit for Memorial Day Weekend. I mentioned that I was going to take them in to the Revolutionary War veteran's grave that I found in the woods a few years ago. My son posted a few pics of our visit.

The first time I saw that stone I got chills

Never forget. Never, ever forget.

Login | Facebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: