Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,470,026 times

Advertisements

As a truck driver who follows the goings-on my industry with great interest, I'd like to offer my qualified support for Parents Against Tired Truckers. I know PATT was founded in ME by Daphne Izer, and her husband (whose name I've forgotten at the moment; sorry) I believe PATT serves a valuable function. It is a great resource for victims and survivors of car/truck crashes. It is behind many of the things that would benefit truckers such as more truck parking and rest areas, and better driver pay. And, there are many of us truckers that are thankful that PATT is helping to force the carriers that won't behave to fall in line. Seems like WE'RE too busy hauling freight to look out for our own interests...) As far as ANYTHING a trucking company may ask/implore/"force" me to do to get that load delivered, the bottom line is: It is MY responsiblilty to pickup and deliver that load safely and within all regulations. It doesn't matter how "hot" the load is or whether I have the hours to run it. If I cannot deliver safely or drive when I'm tired, it'll be late or don't even have me go pick it up.

Now, having said that, tired truckers really are a small part of the highway safety problem. We need more driver training for car AND truck drivers. (Car drivers cause over 70% of car/truck crashes per a University of Michigan and other studies). Many other factors contribute to the problem, as well; poorly designed highway design/construction/signage, just-in-time delivery and far more traffic than our highways were designed to hold.

The Federally-mandated driver Hours of Service regulations are unworkable and don't take into account that there are many different types of trucking operations. A livestock hauler can't just pull over for an 10-hour break. Sleeper teams need the flexibility to sleep when they are tired-not when the log book says they are. The Hours of Service regulations really are a double-edged sword. If we didn't have them, some trucking companies would run their drivers into the ground (like back in the '70s...) But the driver sitting in the seat knows when he is tired and needs the flexibility to drive when he needs to and rest when he's tired. And that isn't always in sync with what the bureaucrats "driving the desks" say they are...

Anyway, that's my two cents worth on the issue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,883 times
Default Truck drivers Wife

I have a problem with what My hubsand just told me about someone trying to change the hours they drive now I guess they dont get enough sleep But you are wrong because I dont think anyone has the right to tell truck drivers how they should drive I think they get enough sleep My hubsand needs the money if he had to give up more hours to just sit he make enough to surport his family and he has the right to drive his hours like other people do I know there people out there that are trying to put the trucking companies out of business My hubsand needs the hour to drive or wont make to pay all our bills I wish everyone would leave the truck drivers alone and let them drive and make money We have right too leave us alone Sheri

Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,331,492 times
What about all the other folks who drive tired? Its not just truck drivers.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:04 PM

285 posts, read 1,064,459 times
Truck drivers are terrible drivers. You cannot study such a thing as "who causes more accidents" between cars and trucks. Truckers are the ones who think they own the roads and choose to cross the yellow line EVERY TIME I am on the interstate. I will not pass a semi when a guard rail is coming up because too many times I or a family member or I have seen someone get ran off the interstate by a merging trucker. They are terrible drivers in many, many cases!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,901 times
well i will tell you people what, let us get rid of truck drivers all together, then when you go to the store to buy, i don't know anything you will all be so screwed. When your 16 year old daughter is over the legal alcohol limit in your car driving fast, she is the one who ruined a truckers life and his family. so how when you can't control your children by all mean please blame everyone else but yourself. Let me know what states you live in, i will make sure that truck driver stay out of those states. How ignorant are you people?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,555,699 times
If you ain't drivin', you ain't earnin'.

Wayyyyy too much regulation in this Country.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:29 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
Trucking,(delivering goods/freight) is the liveblood of the economy- I know and respect many drivers-they get misplaced blame in the workplace if loads are late.
I drive the interstate just about everyday in my job (in a car, averaging over 700 miles a week) and I,ve got to say the truckers are usually the safest drivers on the road, even while idiots dart in front of them.
Two months ago, i witnessed an idiot flying by me at an incredible speed (well over 100 mph) just south of bangor- i could see blue lights quite a ways back in my rearview mirror- the fast idiot was passing everyone and even passed in the right break-down lane-until he got behind two trucks-side by side- and they wouldnt let him pass-the state police was soon behind him, and he did finally pull over- i've got to think those truckers probly saved some lives!!

To the op- I do believe Overtired drivers are a huge risk- but that applies to ALL of us

Old 08-28-2010, 08:51 PM

625 posts, read 786,023 times
Who there. As far as owning the road if you where intending on stating on where the money came from to pay for the roads then the trucks do in fact own them. If you had to pay what a OO pays every year in taxes ( If you did not knwo a truck has to pay taxes on the fuel it burns when it goes though a state even if they did not buy it there among other outrages charges) then compare that to what you pay for your four wheeler.

That said truck drivers have a far superior safety record then four wheelers. This is a fact. I am the first to admit that there are bad apples in the bunch but they are the minority and a small one at that. Drivers Like I was OTR'S live in there truck we drive at the wheel and sleep in the back. I lived in a truck for just over 5 years and have seen allot in that time. During that time I also spend about 20 to 40 hours a year in safety classes and other safety training. Where in the same amount of time a four wheeler license requires nothing.

FYI the interstate system was intended for use by the military and commercial use the first plans where to not allow citizens to use the roads..

Travis

Old 08-29-2010, 06:00 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,555,699 times
May I give my (qualified) support for DAMM. Drunks Against Mad Mothers.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 AM

6,612 posts, read 13,453,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
May I give my (qualified) support for DAMM. Drunks Against Mad Mothers.
Since you asked, no you may not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine