Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times

Advertisements

Has it been verified that the explosion that destroyed that condo in Yarmouth was due to propane? Must be very scary for the other residents in the complex. Very sad that the man died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Propane is explosive.

I recall reading once about the history of LPG tanks in US port cities. A century ago it was felt that having a 3 story tank of so much fuel would be an explosion hazard capable of leveling a city. Protests and rioting followed, which was eventually settled, and today it is a common sight in US port cities. Ships come and go, topping off those huge tanks, and no city has been leveled yet.

One of the things that I enjoyed about living overseas, was how languages and culture changes / adapts to new technology.

When the USA market was fading on 8" floppy disks, we were shifting toward the 5" floppy and reaching to make it double-sided. At the same time Europe had locked onto cassette tapes. While in the USA they were only used for music, in Europe all PC software was put onto cassette. A cassette could hold far more than a 5" floppy. But a C-90 tape took 90 minutes to 'play' it's recorded data.

Anyway back to the OP. In Italy a 20-pound propane tank has always been seen as nothing but a ready-made bomb. So much so that regardless of other names that have been tried for marketing, 'bombola' has been the only name to stick. Being a culture that encourages hot-blooded impulsiveness, they embrace their instantaneous labor walk-outs and protest marches. Today decades later, most homes use bombolas; for fueling tankless water-heaters and portable room heaters. And bombolas are still used frequently in civil uprisings to blow-out the windows of a factory warehouse, or mess up an office.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM

476 posts, read 748,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
…Being a culture that encourages hot-blooded impulsiveness…
Impulsività sangue caldo? Che cosa è in su con quello? Si prega di trasmettere l'antipasto, il mio amico!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:59 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,632 times
C'mon now Curly Bill. We don't want trouble in here, no matter what language!

Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Impulsività sangue caldo? Che cosa è in su con quello? Si prega di trasmettere l'antipasto, il mio amico!
Belle parole non pascono i gatti.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
Say What?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,568 times
Newdaawn...If you do a Google search, you can find translation sites. I don't know how accurate they are, but they're kind of fun. I used one when I posted on another board with some Canadians.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
A propane bomb makes a huge explosion because the most efficient combustion ratio is 17 to 1. If you had a 100 pound bomb, the added 1700 pounds of air would make 1,800 pounds of explosive mixture. Such bombs were used to clear landing zones in Vietnam. They would blow away everything down to mineral earth. I wish I had some photos, but I was usually too busy to take photos.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...a-2638398.html

Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,784 times
NMLM, I think you're referring to fuel-air bombs, not propane-air mixtures, used to clear LZs in Nam. A propane explosion requires an enclosed area to hold the propane-air mixture. In open air, the propane diffuses too rapidly to explode. the modern versions use a slurry of ammonium nitrate and powdered aluminum, according to your link.

Regarding LNG or LPG tanks and explosions: During the so-called "Tanker War" between Iran and Iraq back in the early 1980s, a number of LPG and LNG tankers were hit with rockets and artillery shells. None of the ships exploded.

Last edited by Coaster; 07-01-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
NMLM, I think you're referring to fuel-air bombs, not propane-air mixtures, used to clear LZs in Nam. A propane explosion requires an enclosed area to hold the propane-air mixture. In open air, the propane diffuses too rapidly to explode. the modern versions use a slurry of ammonium nitrate and powdered aluminum, according to your link.

Regarding LNG or LPG tanks and explosions: During the so-called "Tanker War" between Iran and Iraq back in the early 1980s, a number of LPG and LNG tankers were hit with rockets and artillery shells. None of the ships exploded.
The bombs used in Nam weren't exactly fuel air bombs either. They had a type of styrene and aluminum wder and a lot of other stuff. Very nasty things. They commonly refer to them as daisy cutters, but that is because of the fusing mechanism on the nose. They were/are dropped from C-130's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine