U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:19 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,406,194 times

Advertisements

looking for a summer home in maine. does not have to be on water but near water..........any ideas where we could find this for a reasonable price in maine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 06:52 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,733,809 times
This will depend entirely upon what you consider a "summer home", and "near the water" AND what kind of water you are speaking of. If you are thinking about being near the ocean, Maine has three thousand miles of coastline and many towns along it, all different from one another. Some very quiet and rural, some very busy in the summer, and some so expensive that only the very wealthy can go there.

Each of Maine's peninsulas that jut out into the ocean have rivers that flow along them. There are towns along those rivers that offer advantages for summer residents. And there are gazillions of lakes all through the state that offer from no amenities to full resort areas.

Your choice is unlimited in Maine, and will be constrained only by your finances and desires. If you could offer forth more information about what you are seeking, this list will provide more specific information. Also, if you have not travelled here on vacation to see what is offered, you simply can't imagine what is here. And plan on a long trip, because Maine is very, very large.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 26,461 times
You didn't specify whether you were looking to rent or buy...

Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 AM

34,259 posts, read 55,904,937 times
So many variables. I bought riverfrontage two years ago. Out kind of rural.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 91,458 times
if you are looking to buy and want a place that is way away from everyone frank and eddie have 15 acres for sale and its close to the water and about 15 minutes to Sebec lake. Its only good for summer time though. The road is seasonal but we use to drive it in the winter but not that far up. great for hunting and fishing but no electric or phone you will need a generator and they are asking $18,000 for it.

Robert

Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkemp View Post
if you are looking to buy and want a place that is way away from everyone frank and eddie have 15 acres for sale and its close to the water and about 15 minutes to Sebec lake. Its only good for summer time though. The road is seasonal but we use to drive it in the winter but not that far up. great for hunting and fishing but no electric or phone you will need a generator and they are asking $18,000 for it.

Robert
Wow

15 minutes to water,
seasonal road,
no electric,
no phone,
$1200 / acre.

That is kind of high isn't it?

I see waterfront woodlots, with year-round paved county roads, power / phone / DSL at the pavement, going for $900 / acre.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:57 PM

13 posts, read 48,505 times
forest I would love to know where those propertys are located man I love the last ones you posted $16,000 for 40 acres. that is dang cheap and i like the fact of finding one on a paved road mud season is not my thing.

Hilda

Old 03-03-2007, 07:57 PM

I am in Argyle, there is 40 acres for sale about 1.5 mile South of me, and 345 acres for sale about 3/4 mile West of me.

Alton has good prices too, but they are further from the river.

Look over Hudson way too.

I did look up near Millinocket when I was shopping and I did see a number of places at about the same price.

The couple that I bought from had a four page list of lots they were selling, all of them were close to about the same price per acre. With the exception of this place that I bought. I got their most expensive lot, being with so much river frontage and all. I paid around $900 /acre.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:43 AM

13 posts, read 48,505 times
Even $900 an acre isnt bad believe me after what i see land going for down here and most land down here in our area runs in 1/2 acre parcels for over $10,000.

Hilda

Old 03-04-2007, 06:47 AM

19,602 posts, read 27,513,549 times
i believe buying land in maine is a good investment, especially, the area and tracts forest is pointing out,(and like hilda said, road frontage is a key)
baby boomers are retiring, and maine is an attractive state to retire in, or for a second home. there's much activity as forest said, going up 95 towards, howland, lincoln, lee, medway, millinocket, benedicta, sherman, island falls (two big lakes in island falls, much land has sold around them in the past two years), oak field, houlton, linneus, etc, not only is land very cheap, but most of these towns are not far from baxter state park (mt, katadhin) and, there's a ton of money travelling north in the winter-time, to go snowmobiling, some of the best trails in the north-east, many sportsman are looking for second homes/camps, for the recreation.
also, because of the price of oil, many tracts of land for sale, may be worth quite alot, for fire-wood, or woodharvesting for mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>