Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 PM

59 posts, read 221,823 times

Advertisements

Comparing bus and MARC is different in the sense that when a single MARC train breaks down it impacts over 500 riders in that train and there's a domino effect resulting in delay/single track for the rest of the trains following it... where as, if one bus breaks down it only impacts maybe 50 passengers at once? Also, when MARC breaks down, u can't just get out of the train for safety reason... we're all trapped in the train till it's fixed or we're transferred to another train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,779,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
The MARC train receives a disproportionate amount of media coverage for the people who ride it. Many more people ride the subway and the bus yet all we hear about in media is the MARC. My guess is that this is because the subway tends to work pretty well so there isn't as much news to report about it. While I find the bus to be pretty reliable and much of the fleet is pretty new,I'm sure there are plenty of issues that go unreported. My guess is that this is due to the MARC carrying affluent white people while the bus carries mostly poor black people.
How dumb. The media is all over the Metro subway all the time.

People ride whatever is convenient to them. If METRO is closer to their home and work, they take that. If MARC is better, they take that, if a bus works, people take those.

Since moving here, I have spent a great deal of time riding MARC, Metro and Commuter buses. I have also casually used metro buses, ride on buses, and Baltimore light rail.

The entire system across DC needs a major overhaul. MARC is just not every comprehensive. They should run those trains far more often, during the day, on weekends and reverse commutes and they need far more lines. It should be more like the METRA system in Chicago so people can actually use it to get around and not just to commute during peak periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland