Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 51,620 times

Advertisements

My husband will possibly be attending UM-College Park to work on his PhD. We really like the Annapolis area and have it on the top of our list of possible places to live. It is a bit less expensive and not so dense in population as the DC area. We have been pouring over maps trying to find the best commuter route. It looks like the 950 from Annapolis to New Carrolton and then taking a bus to Silver Springs and on to College Park. Anyone know the commuter time on this or have any suggestions on a better route?

Also, does anyone know any other coastal towns in MD that might have a shorter commute to College Park than Annapolis? Affordable, a downtown with restaurants, shops, and family oriented.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 AM

407 posts, read 1,263,930 times
We live in Annapolis and it takes about an hour to drive to DC. I think if you give yourself about an hour you will be okay. You could probably live in Silver Spring and be closer but you would have to be careful about the area you choose there for affordability and crime. Annapolis is a fabulous city but it is not really cheap to live here, but well worth the expense. We are hearing that there is an apt shortage in the nicer areas but I can't confirm this. We do have some great downtown shops and restaurants. If you move here, be sure to stop at Grumps Diner in the Hillsmere area for breakfast and coffee. They have a breakfast melt that will knock your socks off!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Thank you so much. We had looked Northeast of College Park on the Camden Line but it seems there are too many sketchy areas all along there. Apartments in DC in nicer areas seem to very expensive. I think 1 hour commute would be ok and I know my husband would not mind as he is used to long commutes--he is from NYC. I look forward to exploring Annapolis. Are there plentiful homes to rent as opposed to just lots of apartments there?

We have a home here in Kentucky but are not sure about buying when we move just yet. I would like to still live in a house with a yard if possible.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 AM

You may find a few homes to rent but most of them will be from 2000 a month to 4000 a month, especially if you want a yard. You would probably find a nice townhouse more affordable but you are not likely to get one with a yard. For homes, check to see if there are any for rent in the Hillsmere area or Anne Arundel on the Bay area. For a town house or condo, check The Landings. Try to stay away from the Eastport area and anything off of West Street and Tyler Street. I think anything in the Bay Ridge Area or Hillsmere area. Most anywhere off of Riva Road is also nice. Most of the nice rental homes and townhomes are snatched up pretty quick but you should probably check Craig's List to see what might be available. If you find a couple of places and are not sure if the address is in a low crime area, feel free to send me a message with the addresses and I can probably tell you.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 AM

Again, thanks for your help. I will check into all areas. When it gets closer to a trip there I may ask more info on restaurants, things to do, etc. I imagine we will come some time in the fall.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Well, welcome to Annapolis. Be sure to visit the Naval Academy, take a bite at the RamsHead Tavern (order hot crab dip), and be sure to check online to see what band might be playing on their concert venue side. They have some great concerts. Take a walk around Quiet Waters Park, and if you time it right, there is an art show some time there I think in September or October. There is also a small October Fest in October in Annapolis. We also have a really nice Medieval Fair in September out at the fairgrounds, plus the downtown shops, Annapolis Pottery which is where I spend all my extra money, Harry Brownes, another great 5 star restuarant, several antique stores, and I just noticed the other day, that there is an antiquarian book store going in on Maryland Ave downtown, the city docks so you can drool over the yachts or just walk along and take photos and dream of owning a yacht, take a boat ride on the USS Independence (for a fee of course), then there is always driving around looking at the mansions on the water so you can dream some more.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Oh, I love to dream. Sightseeing will be fun. Where are the good beaches? We love trying new restaurants, especially local places. Those always have the best food. I will have to check out the pottery shop--I love anything to do with art!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 PM

There are no public beaches in Annapolis. The closest thing would be Sandy Point State Park which is about a 7 minute drive from Annapolis. Just before you get to the Bay Bridge. Annapolis has several art galleries downtown.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM

Another question-does the Hillsmere/Bay BRrdge area have any kind of a downtown with restaurants/shops/etc within their communities?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:13 PM

503 posts, read 807,231 times
I do that exact commute every day and have done so for 10 years. It can be frustrating at times as there can be bad backups at Exit 11 on the west bound lanes in the morning and then again at Exit 8 or so in the evenings coming home.

If you have to go through Annapolis towards the Severn River bridge it can also be a bit of a chore to get home because of the backups that occur from the merges at exit 24 getting back on to eastbound 50.

Overall, it's not that bad particularly if you don't go at prime time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland