Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 26,192 times

Advertisements

I work at Fort Monmouth in New Jersey. Fort Monmouth is closing and our jobs are being moved to Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland. I am looking for the best place to live while working at APG. I read all the official statistics but really want to know the unofficial opinions of real people.

I am looking for a single family house with a commute of no more than 60 minutes. The shorter the commute the better. I want a safe neighborhood; a town that is not too congested; a nice place to live with nice neighbors; good schools. I don't want to have a well or septic tank. Pollution is a concern but crime is a bigger concern. I am also concerned with cost of housing, taxes, etc.

If anyone can provide any suggestions I would be really grateful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 10:11 PM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Default You are in luck

I grew up in the Baltimore area, worked 30 years for Army in the DC area (MTMC, G4, G6/CIO - AKM, etc). Been to Monmouth a few times, had some great seafood over near the water, laughed my butt off at seeing an auto repair place that went by the name "Shafto's Garage" which kind of says it all for what it costs to have cars repaired.

Since you are in driving range of APG, go on down and look around. Nice towns on the water are Havre de Grace and Perryville. There are a lot of open areas with small towns all along the I-95 corridor (Rising Sun, etc). If you're a boater, there is much to choose from. Great fishing both saltwater on the bay and freshwater up behind Conowingo Dam, an amazing structure.

I don't know about schools, talk on this forum says MD is better than DE for schools. If you have no one in school, consider DE, as it has no sales tax, and MD has a 5% tax, unless it's gone up lately. All of the Cecil County area is nice.

If you are near retirement age, and staying in the region is your wish, look up over the line in PA, as PA does not tax most pensions.

Homes in the northeast corner of MD are attractively priced compared to NJ and with lower taxes too. Lots of farm country in that area once you get away from I-95.

Search the MD forum on Havre de Grace, Perryville, Rising Sun, Bainbridge, Aberdeen, Cecil County, Harford County and see what pops up, as there has been a good bit of discussion about those areas.

Good luck and stay in touch with the list.

s/Mike

Old 08-12-2006, 01:34 PM

17 posts, read 130,511 times
FMBRACK

I have to agree with MikeFBE, growing up in a Baltimore Suburb makes me green with envy that you will be working at APG. Working there and living there would have a great luxury for us. We always lived close to Baltimore city where the "work" was. Working at APG will allow you to live in a great part of Maryland that most people only drive by or through, on their way to New York or points South.

I've heard for a year or so that they were closing Ft. Monmouth. It's never easy when folks have to move, and that part of Jersey is very nice (Have in-laws @ Mountain Lakes - Boonton)

HOWEVER you could do much worse than APG. That part of Maryland is very nice and prices should be coming down with the advent that gas is going up (assumimg that many of the people in North Eastern Maryland are commuting to Baltimore). Prices in Central Maryland (DC area) and North Viginia went nuts after 9/11.

Cheers.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,593 times
I just typed a very long post in the Havre de Grace thread on this forum. You might want to check it out. We just spent the weekend driving around Harford and Cecil counties checking it out for a possible move. Given what you said and what I saw, I would say Bel Air. If you like planned communities (we don't), Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace looked very nice and was a short drive.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 26,197 times
I am an original Jersey Girl, grew up in NJ, worked at Fort Monmouth for 12 years; moved to Baltimore to work downtown at USACE, moved to VA to work at Fort Lee. Now I am back to Maryland working at APG and decided to move to the Parkville/White Marsh area. It depends what you are looking for; city life or country life. If you like wide open spaces then go for Harford and Cecil counties. If you want to be near lots of shopping, restaurants, cultural events; theatre, etc. then you might like those areas. Perry Hall, Parkville, White Marsh, etc. It is not a bad drive to APG because in the a.m. everyone is going South and you would be going North.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:25 AM

23 posts, read 106,306 times
Personally, I prefer living close to the conveniences of a large city, but far enough away that I don't have to worry about the bad aspects. I live in Eldersburg, and I love it, and most of Carroll County is great, but it's probably too far for you unfortunately. Have you considered Aberdeen itself? I thought it was a nice area. Bel Air is also a great area, lots of shopping there too. Cecil County isn't too bad, in my opinion, but it's too rural for me.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 26,182 times
Smile Help with your relocation

I have been a Harford County and Baltimore County native for 28years and I can tell you everything you need to know about living here. If you are looking for low crime, stay away from Edgewood, Aberdeen, Havre de Grace. If you are looking for convenience to shopping try Belair or Fallston (because Fallston is located between White Marsh and Belair, so you get the best of both malls. The best schools in Harford County (according to test scores) is Fallston schools, followed by Belair and C. Milton Wright.
Now, Fallston is mostly on well water but there is one community in Fallston that is on public water. It's called "Fallston Crossing". The roads are: Milton Ave, Fallston Meadow Ct., and Fallston View Ct. zip code is: 21047. Moderator cut: advertising
I hope this helps you and good luck on your job transfer and home search.

Last edited by Marka; 09-29-2006 at 07:28 AM..

Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
I just typed a very long post in the Havre de Grace thread on this forum. You might want to check it out. We just spent the weekend driving around Harford and Cecil counties checking it out for a possible move. Given what you said and what I saw, I would say Bel Air. If you like planned communities (we don't), Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace looked very nice and was a short drive.
DB and his DW live in Bulle Rock and LOVEIT*LOVEIT*LOVEIT! Havre de Grace is a quiet little town it seems, but my brother's neighbors are friendly, happy to live there and appears to be in easy proximity to anything you need.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:02 AM

9 posts, read 72,155 times
Hi,

I myself love Cecil County. You get so much more for your money. Not to mention you are nearby the water, beaches and farms. I love the public schools in this area. The area is less congested than Harford County. It's about a 20 minute or less commute to Aberdeen. Also Havre de Grace is a great little town that is the first town in Harford County when leaving Cecil. I'm not sure about the schools in that area. Hope that helps.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:09 AM

469 posts, read 2,736,065 times
I lived in Perry Point (right outside Perryville) MD when I served with Americorps *NCCC in 2004. Perryville is a very cute little town, no troubles (other than the amorous townies chasing after Americorps girls!). I was awoken once by the sound of explosives testing at the Proving Ground, it sounds like thunder.

Upside: there's a nesting pair of bald eagles near Perryville.
Downside: the river smells like sewage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland