Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

your thoughts on your commute...and commuting in this area in general....

My story:
I drive everywhere. DON'T LIKE public transit. I've live in the DC area for almost 15 years. 7 in downtown Silver Spring, the last 7 as a homeowner in eastern PG. I work in downtown DC.

I have always marveled at the distances people will commute, whether here -- in the NY area or Calif -- anywhere basically.

What are your thoughts on commuting -- as a diver OR public transit rider.

I can't believe the distances people will commute. I think it's insane -- but they do it.

I guess it's a case of all kinds of people in all kinds of situations. And of course it can take an hour to go 20 miles.

I know people:
-- who shrug off an hour and a half commute like it's nothing. One drives 1/2 hour just to get to a bus, then her bus ride is another 40 minutes
-- drive in from Winchester VA. he complains but worked in DC BEFORE he moved out there!
-- one former co-worker drove down from Philly everyday for almost 14 years (THAT was insane)

Another coworker lives in Fairfax and to go 20 miles takes her an hour ten minutes one day -- 40 mins the next -- with no predictability.

And people are STILL moving into the Rte 66 corridor -- and along 270. The commutes alone from there to get into DC would make me rule them out.

Even, Rockville to Bethesda can be bad. Or Millersville to College Park. Or Springfield to Roslyn. But just going that extra 10 miles into DC is an EXTRA time killer. But one friend goes from Capitol Heights to Vienna everyday and says "it's not that bad" (go figure)

Basically I'm starting to wonder if I'M THE ONLY ONE that would never do stuff like that -- for whom they're commute IS A DEAL BREAKER DECISION.

I think Annapolis to DC is too far. I wouldn't want to do Columbia, or Laurel or Severna Park either, or La Plata....or even Rockville for that matter.

I'm not even looking at jobs in NOVA because I don't want to drive from Bowie to Arlington, or Alexandria or Fairfax everyday. And that's nowhere near as far as some other commutes. I want an ALL SUBURB commute.

I go from Bowie to 13th and K, and I'm not looking at gigs and 14th and Independence....
Am I spoiled??? I don't care if it's 5 blocks I don't want a longer commute. I guess I just wished I lived closer to where I work.

Anyone else out there TIRED of the DC commute?? If your commute is already 45 minutes -- would you take a job that add a half-hour to your current commute?

One friend lives in Hyattsville and works in College Park.
I have firends in othe cities (Orlando, Philly) who tease me about their 15-20 minute commute I want to strangle them!
Then again I have a friend who lives in Hyattsville and works in College Park -- and I want to strangle her too

Gee, ya think my commute is getting to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland