Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this seem fair and reasonable to you?
Yes 4 36.36%
NO 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 AM

332 posts, read 1,279,784 times

Advertisements

I saw this article yesterday about vegas, and I have seen some similiar things happening in Maryland, I'm curious what people think about this article. I have a feeling that I know the answer but thought I would throw it out there.

No More ‘Slum, Slumming’ for Section 8 Recipients - Developments - WSJ

FYI, I'm not section 8 hater, but I do like to see a sense of fairness in things. I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms but I got frustrated with this article and some things I have seen lately. I think everyone should be afforded the opportunity to work and earn a decent living, if you choose not to work, or work less than you need to suffer some type of consequence for those whom are fully employed.

Last edited by SmokeyLisa; 08-04-2010 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: added a comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM

407 posts, read 1,263,486 times
I don't really know what to think about this. We had a section 8 renter in our condo down south and had good luck except we really never made a dime off of her. There was always a small leak somewhere or something that just had to be fixed which cost us a fortune so no monies off the property. No doubt this is a guaranteed income for some but not for every home owner who rents out. We have always had to work hard, pay our bills on time, make our mortgage payments on time, pay out the nose through taxes, pay for high end medical insurance costs, put our kids though college and then help out with our grand daughters. We can't even get our condo sold because so many people just choose to walk away from theirs and don't give a rats hind end about other people's property values. Thank goodness it is paid for so we can just hang on to it until things get better. Am I a little bitter because I have worked hard all my life to do the right thing while others appear to get a high end home on a free ride? Sure, but on the other hand, I do what I do and they do what they do and that is that.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:17 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
I have no problem having some of my tax dollars go toward helping people get on their feet so that they can become independent, or helping those who are truly disabled or otherwise unable to totally support themselves. But it's hard not to be somewhat resentful that the folks that are asking for a little help are able to live in luxury homes that clearly are much nicer than the modest little rowhouse that I worked so hard to be able to afford.

And I also believe that in the absence of a permanent disability or for the elderly that the assistance should be considered temporary and not for the rest of the person's life. There needs to be an incentive to become self-supporting, and if they are able to live in top-of-the-line luxury housing without working for it what is there to strive for?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM

332 posts, read 1,279,784 times
There are million dollar homes in foreclosure and people in Maryland are advertising that they take housing vouchers for a 3000 rent. I agree with you both and I hate to get mad at these things because hopefully they are the exception and not the rule but it is hard. I see people saying that they live in a nice 4 bedroom house in a nice community on section 8 and I just question the process since there a lot of people not receiving assistance, who can not afford a house period, regardless of the community. It just seems backwards to me, I believe in assistance but wow. I believe in Howard County the city will subsidize housing up to around $2600 per month but I believe that is only a guideline and not written in stone. So perhaps 4000 is possible, who knows.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 15,171 times
Quote:
We can't even get our condo sold because so many people just choose to walk away from theirs and don't give a rats hind end about other people's property values.
While I understand what you are saying you gotta realize some people are put in a position where they have no choice ,and put in that same position the last thing you are thinking about is your neighbors property value.
Quote:

And I also believe that in the absence of a permanent disability or for the elderly that the assistance should be considered temporary and not for the rest of the person's life. There needs to be an incentive to become self-supporting, and if they are able to live in top-of-the-line luxury housing without working for it what is there to strive for?
And this is the problem with welfare their is no incentive for people to try to get off..all you do is sign a set of new papers every so often and go on with your life.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:44 PM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Section 8 is completely unconstitutional and should be eliminated. People need to start taking personal responsibility for their own economic well being instead of leaching off of the hardworking taxpayers.

As far as I'm concerned, beggars can't be choosy. As long as there is Section 8, I say put em in the most Spartan, bare bones accomodations possible.

I wouldn't be against it if participation in the program (as a taxpayer) was voluntary though. All those bleeding hearts can support Section 8 renters to their hearts content as long as they don't force me to do it.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 6,959 times
Section 8 needs to be taken from our political, financial system entirely.As it is more of a drain than it is anything. Bad part is if these people choose not to work to survive (political circle)as they chose not to in the first place.Then we still suffer the overall embarrassment as a nation.I agree with you and your understand what you said.That is my opinion.they need to slowly eliminate it(states first delegated to county,then city)or take it down to 15% national use.No exceptions/funds cut.This would also get the unemployment rate down to a presentable level.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 AM

461 posts, read 1,283,317 times
I work with the public, and while I don't know the ins and outs of section 8, I see what it does to neighborhoods with no HOA and it isn't pretty. I have no problem helping those who are trying their best and truly need it. But section 8 renters (and their landlords) should be held to some kind of standard to protect the property values in the rest of the neighborhood. Not every renter is bad, I know, but driving through neighborhoods of nice brick townhomes to see furniture rotting away in the back yard, grass that isn't mowed, cigarette butts all over the place.....is frustrating to those who have an incentive to take care of their property. What's equally frustrating is the number of section 8 renters from the city (Balto/DC area) who end up in places like Frederick and Washington Counties and tax the resources of those communities who are already struggling to meet the needs of "their own".

Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
I work with the public, and while I don't know the ins and outs of section 8, I see what it does to neighborhoods with no HOA and it isn't pretty. I have no problem helping those who are trying their best and truly need it. But section 8 renters (and their landlords) should be held to some kind of standard to protect the property values in the rest of the neighborhood. Not every renter is bad, I know, but driving through neighborhoods of nice brick townhomes to see furniture rotting away in the back yard, grass that isn't mowed, cigarette butts all over the place.....is frustrating to those who have an incentive to take care of their property. What's equally frustrating is the number of section 8 renters from the city (Balto/DC area) who end up in places like Frederick and Washington Counties and tax the resources of those communities who are already struggling to meet the needs of "their own".
I agree..

Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
When did Section 8 renters from DC and Baltimore start fleeing west? I never heard about this before this year, and I've read it posted on this board a whole bunch lately. Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland