Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 AM

8 posts, read 18,883 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm currently living in New Jersey and I'm thinking of moving to Maryland. Wondering if anyone can give me some good information on good towns to live in that are safe and apartment rents aren't crazy expensive. I will be moving by myself. I don't want to live in Baltimore area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
We'll need more information. "The Maryland area" refers to a whole state (except for Baltimore, which you dismissed), which is pretty big. If you said "The New Jersey Area" we wouldn't know if you meant Cape May or Newark - obviously these are vastly different places.

Where will you work? What kind of activities do you like?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 AM

332 posts, read 1,280,315 times
I agree with the poster, where are you hoping to work, and what is not expensive. NJ is expensive and so are the rents. Also, tell us where in central Jersey you are coming from and which towns in NJ that you like?

I very familiar with NJ, I lived in East Windsor, West New York, Marlboro and Morganville and I currently reside in Columbia, MD. Let us know what type of town you are interested in.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:48 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
Definitely need more information! What kind of occupation are you planning to do here? Do you have to live near a big city, or does the eastern shore cut if for ya? What do you want your rent to be around? I live near Annapolis and my husband is from central NJ...

Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Hi everyone, Sorry for not giving more info before. I would like to find an apartment that is below $1000 per month, includes some utilities, allows cats and in safe area. As for a job that is open. I'm doing clerical work for family business so want to find something better in MD. I'm currently in Bridgewater,NJ. As for the towns I like here can't say thats why I am moving. haha Born and raised here and never been a fan of this state especially with how expensive it is. In MD I prefer to live not too far from the shore or in Frederick area.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Think Thurmont, Brunswick, Mt. Airy might be good bets.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Thank you htownterp.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM

128 posts, read 99,034 times
Default Talbot Co is my vote

I lived in St. Michaels for 15 years and we loved it. It is beautiful; water oriented; small historic town; with wonderful shops. I'd say you would be able to find the price range for sure; and there are rentals that allow
small pets.
I live in another town near Annapolis as one poster mentioned and also
love downtown area there, too!

Keep me posted if you need any help.

Princess & Pea

Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 55,317 times
Hi, I suggest Westminster and the surrounding areas. I moved from NYC two and a half years ago and I live in a small town named Union Bridge. It is in a rural area and is safe, quiet and inexpensive. Some of the closest cities are Westminster, New Windsor, Sykesville, Tawneytown and it is 15 miles north of Frederick Maryland. I am on a limited income and found a lovely senior community here. Westminster is 29 miles west of Baltimore. As far as work goes, depending on your profession, there are always companies hiring in this area. I worked briefly in Frederick and it is not a bad commute. Also, Walkersville Maryland is just up the road from Frederick. Once you get east of the areas I mentioned, you will be in heavily populated areas with high rents and horrendous traffic. So, that's my input. I just know about this part of Maryland. It's really pretty and green here with beautiful views of the mountains. There are beautiful parks in the Frederick area and hiking and camping are big there. I don't go to Baltimore or DC ever. If I get the urge to go to a big city, I get the bus to New York City which leaves from Pikesville. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland