Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times

Advertisements

hold out for cumberland, they'll thank ya later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:05 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
LOL, I think I agree.

I do appreciate all the help on this thread, I want us to go visit ourselves if nothing else as soon as we get another stretch of nice sunny and warmer weather.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Thank you all again for all your help - looks like we will be meeting up Sat. in Cumberland. Weather forecast is good so that's a big plus. Since none of us have ever been there, we'll have to figure out where to hook up but from what I've read here - we want: downtown, correct?

Old 10-20-2010, 05:42 PM

7,005 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Maryland Mountainside | www.mdmountainside.com | Allegany County, Western Maryland

Here is the official county tourism site. It is a good place to start researching.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Update for anybody that cares: We did get together in Cumberland and absolutely enjoyed it! Hopefully, more of the empty facades will open - but we did a mix of shopping, eating, walking, drinking, etc. - It was a good day - Again, I thank everyone for posting.

(side note: It was really sad seeing so many deer that had been hit and the "stuff" on the roads - that made for a rather unpleasant drive on the 68 portion)

Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 PM

I am glad you enjoyed yourself! Yes, Cumberland is trying to reverse 60 years of declining population. Downtown looks much better than it did just 10 years ago. I think it would help if they opened Baltimore St. up to traffic, but that is a story for another day.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 AM

47 posts, read 87,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
There is plenty of stuff to do in Cumberland to keep you busy. We have a pedestrian mall downtown with little restaurants, quirky shops, and antiques. The Canal Place heritage area is also nice for walking around. If you are looking for more structured activity, there is a steam locomotive that travels up into the mountains from Cumberland to Frostburg and is stunning in the fall. Get you tickets in advance for this as they are booked in the fall. Another option, if you or your friends are into football, is to see if either Ft. Hill or Allegany is playing a home game. Cumberland has the state's premier high school football stadium. An average game draws about 3-4 thousand fans. A game featuring two local teams can double that total.

Check out mdmountainside.com for more info.
Hi...

After reading your comment, I came to know so much about Cumberland. I never went to Cumberland but planning to go there in next summer vacations. I got good information from you and now I am definitely thinking to go there. It will be one of the most exciting place I ever go. The website gives me detailed information of the motels and other things like outdoor adventures etc.. I am thankful to you for providing the information.

Thanks...

Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM

46 posts, read 83,870 times
Default retirement

I am looking for a place like cumberland to retire,just a couple of questions.How far is it from DC and willimasburg?Also is it far enough west to do any trout fishing?Also what is the crime rate like?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post
I am looking for a place like cumberland to retire,just a couple of questions.How far is it from DC and willimasburg?Also is it far enough west to do any trout fishing?Also what is the crime rate like?
Cumberland is a great place to retire because housing is cheap, cheap, cheap, as cheap as you will find in Maryland.

Cumberland is about 140 miles from DC and Baltimore. It takes about 2.5 hours (not at rush hour) to get into the cities.

Yes, you can trout fish. Many streams are stocked with rainbows, and browns. Some of the streams in Garrett County (our next door neighbor) still have native brookies.

Crime - the city limits itself has some areas that have moderate crime and are best avoided. If you give me any street names you are looking at, I can give them the thumbs up or thumbs down. Most of the city is OK though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland