Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:05 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times

Advertisements

I could really get things going here and point out to Tiger Beer that many in Maryland do NOT consider themselves or their state a northern state. In general, the urban and suburbans areas of the state associate more with the Northeast, Southern Maryland (what is left of it) and the Eastern Shore lean more towards the south, and Western Maryland is part of Appalachia.

As for religion. There are not very many "fundamentalist Christians" in Maryland, but there are some. You will find alot more Secularists, Catholics, and Methodists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
It's interesting that you think there are no fundamentalist Christians in Maryland or the northern states. Where did you get that idea? Might "all kinds of people with all kinds of really different beliefs" include fundamentalist Christians? I happen to know that it does.
Well, comparitively.

The southern states is where they build massive, massive megachurches...and the common intro question upon meeting new people conducted by most southerners is 'what church do you go to?'

As a northerner myself, that is a can of worms question in the north. Likely to offend someone, and just not said.

No doubt there are fundamentalish christians in the northern states....but it isn't an ingrained part of the culture like the south. I had the impression that the OP was concerned about this, and I am just clarifying that that is regional, and that Maryland isn't known as a state that that question is a regular part of every conversation with most strangers.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM

45 posts, read 147,210 times
Having a foreigner from an European country is a bit different from the norm, and probably find people are more interested because of that. You will be fine...especially in Annapolis, more of a sophisticated crowd there.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The southern states is where they build massive, massive megachurches...and the common intro question upon meeting new people conducted by most southerners is 'what church do you go to?'
You're sterotyping the south. I've been here since May of 2006 and have traveled all over the place. I've never been asked what church I attend and I've never seen a church even as close in size as this monster on MD route 214 in Bowie.

I don't know if you've ever seen this little baby in Kensington...

Maryland has massively sized churches and several of them are televised across the nation.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,532 times
That last one is not a church per se, it's an LDS (Mormon) temple. Being from Utah myself it's a familiar site so far away from home!

Old 02-05-2011, 02:22 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven302 View Post
That last one is not a church per se, it's an LDS (Mormon) temple.
You say potato, I say potahto. It's a house of worship.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:43 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You say potato, I say potahto. It's a house of worship.
But it's supposed to be potato! Everybody knows that!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,532 times
Can I get sum fry sauce with them?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 AM

70 posts, read 178,543 times
Moving can be considered as a big step, or one of the very important decisions anyone would make. I mean, it is not an overnight thought (though some can really be spontaneous!). Think things over, ask friends or check online. Most information are already online and would serve as a great help. I did so myself and it wasn't so bad.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 AM

15 posts, read 43,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Maryland is a very diverse state. Depending on where you relocate in Maryland you should be fine. Because of its proximity to D.C., Maryland has much diversity around the D.C. area, as well Annapolis and Baltimore. As far as religion goes I find Maryland to be more secular than many states to the south. Of course southern and western Maryland tend to be somewhat more conservative and more religous but I don't think you will encounter many hardcore fundamentalists in and around Annapolis. Best of luck to you.
Hey thanks there, now I can plan more in better ways. I mean got the job there and have to move there in 3 months. My friends are staying there and they told me the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland