Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 PM

8 posts, read 37,592 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Eastern Shore and have looked at Easton, St. Michaels and Oxford. We really liked the quiet beauty of Oxford, but wondering what is it like living there with young children ( 7 yr old and an infant?? Are there young families or more of a retirement community in Oxford? Would nearest schools be in Easton? Are there any family-oriented community events in town? It would be great to hear any feedback on living in Oxford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM

52 posts, read 232,218 times
Growing up in the area Oxford has always been a tiny sleepy town of retired people and second homes. It's often referred to Heaven's Waiting Room. For the people who live there its very Mayberryish, everyone knows everyone. There isn't a whole lot that goes on but there are a few family events throughout the year but nothing terribly exciting. I think the 4th of July fireworks might be the biggest event which does create a traffic jam for an hour or so afterwards as people try to leave. In my 30 some years not much has changed in Oxford and that seems to be the way they want it. Most of the population is old (retired) and well off financially and seem to bark loudly at any little change or disruption to their town.

When I was growing up the kids in Oxford (there weren't many) were sent to White Marsh in Trappe for elementary school, I think that may still be the case. It's a good small school but it's 8 or so miles away. The elementary school in Easton is too full so I doubt it would be an option. As far as middle and high school, it would be Easton.

Living in Oxford you will probably find yourself going to Easton pretty much on a daily basis for anything. Any of the little stores in Oxford don't have much, are over priced, and close very early. During the summer weekends it can get slightly busy (by Oxford standards) with tourists walking around.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the great insight, MikeinMD. Would you have a recommendation of a town in the area that is kid-and family-friendly, but is not a cookie-cutter new community. I like quaint, historic towns with a vibrant community life, while my boyfriend is looking to be on the water ( he has a boat and would like to have a small dock). I would like to be within reasonable proximity to the Bay Bridge as I am still working in Montgomery county and will have to commute at least 3 times a week until I can find a job locally. Thanks again for the ideas.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM

52 posts, read 232,218 times
were you looking to live in town and on the water? Were you looking a buying a place?

Easton and Chestertown probably have the most "community life" and things going on.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks, MikeinMD. We would like to be on the water, but won't be able to afford the high dollar waterfront country club style communities. Just some water access to dock the boat would be great. We are going to look at Easton and Chestertown. I need to look closer at the various neighborhoods. THanks again!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 PM

299 posts, read 1,009,769 times
I live in Cambridge, which is about 20 minutes south of Easton. Cambridge gets a rep for being a lower-income area (median income around $26,000) with some neighborhoods that are not particularly attractive. Both are true. But Cambridge does also have some positives: beautiful historic homes, a couple of lovely parks along the Choptank, a few good restaurants, a summers farmer market, a small but nice and walkable downtown area with shoppes and galleries. It's also very cyclist-friendly, as are more areas on the Eastern Shore.

Especially in the summer, Cambridge has a lot of family-friendly events like the Taste of Cambridge, Summer Send-Off, and Kite Festival. This site's a good resource for community events:
Cambridge Main Street - Visit Historic Downtown Cambridge, Maryland, on the Eastern Shore - an Authentic Chesapeake Town

I work in Oxford, and while it's a lovely little town, I wouldn't recommend living there as it is so small. Good place to visit for events like the cardboard boat race, though.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,977 times
I'm with Stasia. I just moved to Cambridge too and love it! I brought a beautiful home 2 blocks from the marina in the historical district. Cambridge at one time, was a lower income town but it's not that way anymore. Alot of people like myself are moving in. I've talked to a police officer before I moved and there is hardly any crime in the historical district. Also I drove around at all hours of the night and never saw anything out of place or any crime going on. Also I'm noticing that there's alot going on for families in Cambridge too.

I work in DC and will commute until I can find a job on the Shores. But this is the time to buy a place close or on the water on the Eastern Shore.

Good luck in your search! Ironically, Oxford was my first choice when I started looking over the Shores to live. But it is too slow for me. Cambridge is a good fit for me and my kids.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 AM

Thanks so much Stasia and Donie1 for your input on Cambridge. I haven't had a chance to explore Cambridge yet, but based on your reviews feel compelled to do so. By the way, Donie1, how is the commute to DC? Does the traffic tend to be an issue? I know I will have to commute to Bethesda until I can get a job in the area, which could be a while.....Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland