Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,192 times

Advertisements

I live in a newer house in Owen Brown. I love being close to the shopping. I always feel safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

They probably say that because there are a few brown people over there.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
I have lived in Owen Brown for 27 years, and I love it here. It has every amenity you could want. Lake Elkhorn is gorgeous, the people are friendly, the businesses are honest, and everything is so convenient! Crime has never been an issue in all the years I have lived here, and I am never fearful of being home alone. Don't listen to the negatrons! They don't know what they are talking about. Owen Brown is a wonderful place to live.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:52 PM

265 posts, read 509,754 times
Owen Brown is a bad area. You have alot of section 8 housing and lower class people living there. They are folks who where moved out of Baltimore City projects. Lets move these folks to the county and they won't commit crimes etc. Not true. The school by the East Columbia library is one of the worst in the county. These kids cause trouble and lots of fights and gang members. Yes, middle school gang members. They love to hangout at the library after school so don't go to the library then. There are always a police officier there and they have a hub station in the library.
The walking paths are ok, but not safe. Lots of people being mugged and having their wallet and phones stolen.
The Howard County police to not tell the real story of what is going on in the county but that area I would stay clear of.
I have a friend who teaches at this school and has taught throughout the county in her 20years as a teacher.
Also alot of old timers in Columbia, don't want to hear about all the crime and gangs. They are blind.

Just my thoughts.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Welcome to MD OP. I don't know the Owen Brown area but it sure looks like you've got enough conflicting reports here to be at least a bit concerned. I guess if I were you given this info I'd consider a different part of Columbia.

Have a crazy question. I always thought Owen Brown was named after the Maryland basketball player who died tragically of a heart condition. Is it named for him or for the son of John Brown the abolitionist?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Have a crazy question. I always thought Owen Brown was named after the Maryland basketball player who died tragically of a heart condition. Is it named for him or for the son of John Brown the abolitionist?
Probably neither name. Here's what I found with a google: "Owen Brown is named for a postmaster and store owner. Mr. Owen Brown operated a store on what is now the intersection of Route 108 and Manor Lane." It was at first only a working title, but it stuck.

That was from the Owen Brown Community Association at Owen Brown Community Association, inc. In Columbia, Md : About

I know that some web sites claim it was for the basketball player who died in 1975, however Columbia was planned well before his death. Thus I believe the the story about the store owner sounds more likely.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-15-2014 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM

You might try looking around Ellicott City area. Nicer then Columbia.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:47 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Wait is this really a discussion that is still debating whether Owen Brown is a safe area or not? What is the world coming to?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Wait is this really a discussion that is still debating whether Owen Brown is a safe area or not? What is the world coming to?
Yes, it's a big decision for people that are moving into new states and communities.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Probably neither name. Here's what I found with a google: "Owen Brown is named for a postmaster and store owner. Mr. Owen Brown operated a store on what is now the intersection of Route 108 and Manor Lane." It was at first only a working title, but it stuck.

That was from the Owen Brown Community Association at Owen Brown Community Association, inc. In Columbia, Md : About

I know that some web sites claim it was for the basketball player who died in 1975, however Columbia was planned well before his death. Thus I believe the the story about the store owner sounds more likely.

That's funny, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland