Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Nope!
Care to elaborate? I am not just making this stuff up, check the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I just got a new Smartrip card. Works in DC and Baltimore (MTA and Metro). So there is some relationship, but they are two very diffferent cities.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Its funny bc in Columbia when im at my fathers house I can see both Baltimore and DC news...in DC they report the whether and address both cities...in Baltimore they represent DC with a generic square like "yea its so and so degrees in Baltimore and so and so degrees in Richmond" bypassing the whole DC area

Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM

342 posts, read 912,526 times
There entirely too close, usually if you have two cities as close as d.c. And baltimore, one is large and the other is small, similar to new york and newark or philly and camden! But baltimore and d.c. Are roughly the same size and there both relatively large cities!

Also our suburbs overlap

anne arundel and howard county ten years ago was mostly home to baltimorean's! But now plenty of washingtonians are in hoco(mostly because of columbia), and a few are in the southern parts of anne arundel county!!!

So that's why it's combined, and were definitely always considered the same media market!

but hey i know a Baltimorean that drives every day from Bowie so, ya never know!!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
Bowie to Baltimore is not far at all. There are people who never leave the "DC area" that have a much worse commute than that.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Before the 1950s, metro Baltimore had a larger population than metro Washington. Then metro Washington grew so much faster and overtook Baltimore.

Washington has always been based on the Federal government, including the military, and attracted people from all over the USA (and worldwide due to the city's embassies).

Baltimore by contrast, was historically blue-collar and industrial, based on industries like shipping, a huge steel factory, a large airplane factory, and auto factory, and with distinct European ethnic neighborhoods. (although its largest employer today is Johns Hopkins Univ. and health care system). Its migrants were drawn mostly from the mid-atlantic states and Appalachia.

Both cities have always had their own separate NBC, ABC, and CBS television channels.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Not to derail the topic but Minneapolis (pop 386-thou) and St. Paul MN (pop 285-thou) -- and Dallas (pop 1.2 mil) and Forth Worth (pop 745-thou) would be better comparisons than Philly and Camden, or even NYC and Newark. Thos oaer the only 'twin city' areas that popped into my head but I'm sure there are more. Although DC Baltimore are the only ones to have their own media markets.

The DC-Baltimore is definitely an interesting one. I wonder if Baltimore feels like the 'stepchild' sometimes.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

The DC-Baltimore is definitely an interesting one. I wonder if Baltimore feels like the 'stepchild' sometimes.
As someone that has been around Baltimore my whole life, DC doesn't enter the minds of Baltimoreans as much as people think. They are too completely different Cities that both have their own thing going. There is plenty of things to do, and places to work, live, eat, play and study in both cities. If you live in AA County or Howard, you may feel like you are a part of both places, but just about everyone else is part of a distinct market, and probably enters one city a whole lot more than the other.

Sure there is a bit of a rivalry when it comes to NFL, MLB, and HS Sports, but most aspects in Baltimore don't feel the need to compete with DC. If anything, Baltimore is much more like our neighbor to the North Philly than DC.

Baltimore has an advantage that DC doesn't, where it has the state of MD backing it. DC is on it's own, and there budget deficit is enormous.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM

388 posts, read 848,973 times
Baltimore/DC is becoming one of those mega metro aeas you keep hearing about. While the reas may be considered under one MSA in some reports, i agree with them being a different media markets. Thats most evident in the fact that both cities have their own sports teams.

I think an even better comparison than Dallas/Ft Worth and the twin cities is San Fran and Oakland, or to a much lesser extent, Los Angeles and Anaheim. SF/Oakland both have their own competing sports teams and media markets, but are generally considered being part of the same metro area.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Yes indeed. I also was going to say, as was pointed, that while there is some commuting back and forth -- I'd be willing to bet most people in each city hardly ever or never go to the other city.

Heck I live in Bowie and work in DC -- and I myself never go into DC unless visitors want to do some touristy thing that's ONLY in DC. Most times I'd rather go to Annapolis or Alexandria. I've been to Baltimore ONCE in eight years, and that was also because guests wanted to go to a specific place for crab cakes, so we also walked about Fels Point a bit.

(As for never going into DC, I'm sure because I work there there's a psychological thing about just not wanted to go back in town if I don't absolutely have to.. I DID just recently go to the American Indian Museum (with a visitor who really wanted to do one of the Smithsonians) and loved it. The cafe alone - while expensive - is worth a trip. It's fantastic.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland