Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:06 PM

10 posts, read 11,427 times

Advertisements

Hello all. These posts before mine are about 7 to 8 years old now. I noticed the house prices seem to be about the same. Wonder if anyone could help me on what it's like now as far as has the town got any worse in crime or poverty? Certain areas better or worse based on previous posts? Still improving in the city or did the great recession take it's toll here too? Planning on a trip there this spring and would really appreciate any and all info. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 03:36 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertQD View Post
Hello all. These posts before mine are about 7 to 8 years old now. I noticed the house prices seem to be about the same. Wonder if anyone could help me on what it's like now as far as has the town got any worse in crime or poverty? Certain areas better or worse based on previous posts? Still improving in the city or did the great recession take it's toll here too? Planning on a trip there this spring and would really appreciate any and all info. Thanks!

Drug crime, or at least people getting in additional trouble and then getting caught because of drug crime would in my estimation be on the rise over the last 7-8 years. That's the bad news. The good news is that the community AND our elected officials are getting on the same page when it comes to incarcerating the repeat offenders in our community in last few months and they are getting some results.

As for poverty, same old, same old. Overall, we remain a pretty poor community, with everything from people living in houses were tarps serve as roof "repair" and boards cover broken windows to beautiful streets lined with restored Victorian mansions and everything in between.

Of course, if you are planning a trip to visit, you can pretty easily avoid the bad and enjoy the good. Let me know if you have any other questions. Cumberland has its problems, but it remains a good place to live and a very unique and enjoyable place to spend a few days.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I went back and looked at the thread. Some of the neighborhood info has changed over the last 8 years. Specifically, I was overly optimistic about the possibility of improvement on some of those streets. A few made the transition, many did not. I can give more specifics an any individual street if needed.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Thanks Westsideboy, I appreciate it. How about the 400 block of Park St.? A bit of my history w/ Cumberland. I spent the first part of my early life there living with my Aunt on what I believe was Park St. I remember about 6 sets of railroad tracks across the street and I THINK she lived on Park St. from what I can see of it now on the internet. My mother had a serious health issue and my Aunt took me in. I visited Cumberland throughout my growing up later when my mother was better. Living in Florida now at the much older age of 63. getting real tired of it to tell the truth. Winters here are nice and I imagine I will keep staying here during them as property values where I am keep going down (we've got our share of crime here too and our elected officials are pretty corrupt IMO) and I just can't afford to take what would be another huge loss if I were even lucky enough to sell here. But summers are brutal heat, seem worse every year. Thought maybe I could get something in Cumberland at their low prices, but even that may be out. But I am going to try and get up there for a visit and see what it's like as far as I remember of the town. Unfortunately, both my mother and Aunt have long since past and I cannot find out some things I would like to know.
And rt. 68. Do you hear a lot of noise from tractor trailers going by at night or anything like that? Seems a lot of the houses I see are a couple of blocks or less from it and also old rt 40. If a lot of road noise, is it one of those things you just get used to?
Thanks for your quick response and hope to hear from you again.
Bob.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks Westsideboy, I appreciate it. How about the 400 block of Park St.? A bit of my history w/ Cumberland. I spent the first part of my early life there living with my Aunt on what I believe was Park St. I remember about 6 sets of railroad tracks across the street and I THINK she lived on Park St. from what I can see of it now on the internet. My mother had a serious health issue and my Aunt took me in. I visited Cumberland throughout my growing up later when my mother was better. Living in Florida now at the much older age of 63. getting real tired of it to tell the truth. Winters here are nice and I imagine I will keep staying here during them as property values where I am keep going down (we've got our share of crime here too and our elected officials are pretty corrupt IMO) and I just can't afford to take what would be another huge loss if I were even lucky enough to sell here. But summers are brutal heat, seem worse every year. Thought maybe I could get something in Cumberland at their low prices, but even that may be out. But I am going to try and get up there for a visit and see what it's like as far as I remember of the town. Unfortunately, both my mother and Aunt have long since past and I cannot find out some things I would like to know.
And rt. 68. Do you hear a lot of noise from tractor trailers going by at night or anything like that? Seems a lot of the houses I see are a couple of blocks or less from it and also old rt 40. If a lot of road noise, is it one of those things you just get used to?
Thanks for your quick response and hope to hear from you again.
Bob.
Uh, pretty bad news about Park St. It has gone downhill considerably, and is among the sketchiest streets in town now. Most of those big old houses (some custom designed) are in very sorry shape and nearly all cheap rentals. It is also a major footpath from other not so good areas to our only super-market, so the foot traffic is pretty heavy and the dysfunction of that neighborhood parades around on that street. But yeah, if you remember tracks, you probably are guessing the right street. It would be that or Henderson Ave.

I have never lived that close I-68, but I guess you block it out. We are of course, a train town, and the sound of trains can heard in much of the city. It is sort of the background white noise to life here. I really like it.

There are still good places in town that are affordable, just fewer than their used to be. again, just let me know where you would be looking and I will be happy to assess.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Good info, thank you Westsideboy!
I guess I'm really confused as to what to be looking at now.
I really like the Victorian style houses from 100 years ago or so, the craftsmanship of them, love some of the city views the realtors show through the upstairs windows of the town on some of the houses, and kind of want to be near walking distance of downtown (or do I based on certain areas?). Really would like at least a driveway off street to park a car too.
I wondered about grocery stores. Only one in town? Didn't know that.
There is also a house on Valley St that is not a Victorian, but has a (small) 3 car detached garage and from much earlier posts says it's is in a blue collar area. Is the 500 block of Valley St. a decent area still? Not the style I was looking for, and there is only one pic which makes me wonder too.
A house needing work doesn't scare me TOO much. And for what I could afford, it would almost have to need work. I do see a couple of houses that look very up to date, but one has only street parking and a very small parking area at that. Even my mid size car would not fit it looks like. The other one is a frame house and I would feel like I was home again (maybe!) if I was lucky enough to have a brick house again, so was kind of hoping I'd find a brick one.
Thanks again, helps a lot!
PS I've learned my lesson about buying a house right off. I'm trying to do my homework as this would be my last move if it happens. A trip in person will help tremendously, but your help is very, very much appreciated. You've already told me things that are helping quite a lot.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:14 PM

66 posts, read 126,048 times
I would think that LaVale would be a better option than Cumberland proper. The neighborhoods seem to have been holding up better, and you have closer and easier access to the Martins / Kohl's shopping center and the Country Club Mall.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:59 PM

OK, thank you wycoff. I will check it out.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoff View Post
I would think that LaVale would be a better option than Cumberland proper. The neighborhoods seem to have been holding up better, and you have closer and easier access to the Martins / Kohl's shopping center and the Country Club Mall.
Meh, I am not much of a LaVale fan. If I wanted to live in a 1960-1970s style suburb, I would move downstate and make more money. Part of the joy of living in Cumberland is that it is a real city, with history, charm, character, and much better scenery than you get on the other side of Haystack. But, to each, their own.

Robert,

500 block of Valley St. is decent. The biggest issue is that a few of the close by streets aren't so great (Columbia, Independence) but Walnut, Chestnut, and Fairview are all pretty solid places to live.

A real thing to consider though if you are going to be a part time resident is how safe your house will be if you are gone for months. My answer would be "not very." The house would be a target if the druggies see it being fixed up, then left unoccupied. Granted, this is a fixable problem if you make sure everything is secured, and find a few good sets of neighbors to watch over it while you are gone. So, in your case neighborhood is going to matter more than a person living there year round.

So send me addresses, and I will give you the straight dope. As a general rule, West Side and the Johnson Heights/Mapleside neighborhoods of South End are best parts of town. If you can find a house in these places, you can have a very nice quality of live and a very cheap price. Some other parts of town are good too, but you are wise to do your homework.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:39 PM

Thanks again Westsideboy. You really know the area.

No offense to anyone, but I do like Cumberland better from what I'm seeing. Westsideboy you seem to be reading my mind as to what I'm after, or at least you think similar to me. Kind of scary, hope you're ok! I wonder about me.

But it is getting confusing. I need to take a break and let some of this absorb.
The one I was talking about on Valley is 505 I believe. I really do like the Victorian look (505 Valley doesn't have it, even only one pic tells me that) and old craftsmanship, hardwood floors, etc. And I like brick, what can I say. And this one on Valley is not brick. And only one pic like I said, leaves a lot to the imagination.

Also am kind of stuck on a good view from at least one of the front windows, any level. Therein lies one problem as the houses I see on web sites that have good views that inspire me are in areas that do not seem good from what I'm hearing. I guess that's why they are so cheap maybe (probably!).

Very good info to know that about the individual streets. The ones you mention as good are connecting to the ones you say stay away from. Must be a fine line in some spots.

And, yes, you have that right about being away half the year. I can secure a place pretty good, but... if someone wants in, they'll get in. Good neighbors help a lot too as you mention, absolutely.

I'll check out these neighborhoods you are talking about and see what I can come up with.

Thank you again westsideboy for all the help. I will keep you posted and have more questions, I'm sure!.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland