Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 14,632 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from GA to MD in a couple of months. GA is just just too oppressive for us and it is time to pack it up and go. My wife is originally from MD(new carrollton) but I'm from NY so I don't know a lot about the area. However, just based on growing up in NY I know that the main ingredient to happiness in the northeast is a person's living situation and school system for the children. My son is only 1 right now, but I've heard some crazy stories about neighborhood rivalry among kids within certain school districts mostly due to kids being brought in from different areas outside of the schools community?
We will be staying with my in-laws at first but I'm trying to pinpoint MD areas close to PG county(without being in PG) that will allow us piece of mind as far as living in a safe environment in addition to an area supplying a safe educational atmosphere for my son, once he begins school. The only thing that I know so far is to avoid PG county. I've been looking at Germantown and Silver Spring but the information that I have been researching seems inconsistent. Could somebody help me out?
Any information is welcomed.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM

19 posts, read 58,485 times
First off where will you be working? Im sure thats going to play into the situation of where you are moving. Also what is a comfurtable Mortgage payment? this will allow you to figure out what your price point is for buying a house. The first area i thought of would be Howard county, its in the middle of the state and everything is usually within a 30 min drive. Howard county has great schools, nice area, but its expensive. Please let me know if i can help you out in anyway.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,956 times
Default another re-lo

alot of people are coming to maryland. baltimore county schools are the best. I relocated from NJ last year and love baltimore county, perry hall,MD.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 14,432 times
My bf and I am moving to baltimore from ny within 2 weeks. We found a great place for under 700.00 for a 1 bedroom in the Canton area. The apt place is called Boston Crossing Apartments on Boston Road. They are super nice people. The apt is 5 min outside of the city and about 10-15 mina way from the Baltimore Harbour. This is there link: [URL="http://www.thetimegroup.com/timegroup.aspx?ss=6&id=22"]http://www.thetimegroup.com/timegroup.aspx?ss=6&id=22[/URL]

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,912 times
If you need to be near PG county but not in it, Anne Arundel County is a good bet and so is Calvert. Granted Calvert is considered So.MD but its cheaper to live there then in AAC. Both have good school systems.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 PM

19 posts, read 58,485 times
if you are looking for something a little cheaper then anne arundel county is a good place, would recommend bowie, severn, crofton.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here2HelpU View Post
First off where will you be working? Im sure thats going to play into the situation of where you are moving. Also what is a comfurtable Mortgage payment? this will allow you to figure out what your price point is for buying a house. The first area i thought of would be Howard county, its in the middle of the state and everything is usually within a 30 min drive. Howard county has great schools, nice area, but its expensive. Please let me know if i can help you out in anyway.
These are good questions. If you have been in Georgia for awhile you are likely to encounter some sticker shock. Howard and Montgomery Counties are two of the wealthiest counties in the United States. Great schools, decent shopping/dining/recreation, and fairly low crime for jurisdictions its size at least, but incomprehensibly expensive real estate!

A very popular move for people moving out of PG County is into Charles County just to the south. The Waldorf area has most of the amenities you find in PG County, it is just smaller. And because it is adjacent to PG County you can get to places such as National Harbor or Bowie Town Center within a relatively short span of time.

The X-factor is going to be where you are working. If you are working in Germantown or somewhere in the "North County" (I guess this it what it's called) part of Montgomery then Charles County or Anne Arundel might be out of the question. The completion of the InterCounty Connector in a couple of years will make drive commutes to places like Laurel, "Down County", and Columbia more feasible for a MUCH larger number of people.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM

770 posts, read 3,681,200 times
I recommend Anne Arundel County. Maybe Edgwater, Deale, Shady Side, North Beach area. You could also look into Millersville and Crofton. I taught in Shady Side and Edgewater, they both were decent schools, and safe.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM

569 posts, read 1,443,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrepresentativ View Post
We are relocating from GA to MD in a couple of months. GA is just just too oppressive for us and it is time to pack it up and go. My wife is originally from MD(new carrollton) but I'm from NY so I don't know a lot about the area. However, just based on growing up in NY I know that the main ingredient to happiness in the northeast is a person's living situation and school system for the children. My son is only 1 right now, but I've heard some crazy stories about neighborhood rivalry among kids within certain school districts mostly due to kids being brought in from different areas outside of the schools community?
We will be staying with my in-laws at first but I'm trying to pinpoint MD areas close to PG county(without being in PG) that will allow us piece of mind as far as living in a safe environment in addition to an area supplying a safe educational atmosphere for my son, once he begins school. The only thing that I know so far is to avoid PG county. I've been looking at Germantown and Silver Spring but the information that I have been researching seems inconsistent. Could somebody help me out?
Any information is welcomed.

Thank you
If you think GA is oppressive, you're coming to the wrong place.

Maryland the least-free state in U.S. | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Maryland-the-least-free-state-in-US-46836117.html - broken link)

Old 08-11-2010, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 14,632 times
Thanks for the responses. As of now, it looks like I'll be working in D.C. Not sure about where my wife will be working just yet. The babysitter and in-laws live in New Carrollton and we'll crashing there until we get settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland