Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 PM

92 posts, read 322,637 times

Advertisements

Ok I need to get a clear idea of $$ here? What exactly does a resident pay? Is there car tax? School Taxes ? Excise tax? Any odd taxes or fees that aren't widely talked about. We are moving form CT to Montgomery County.

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Property tax based on state assessment of your house. If you live in an incorporated town your taxes will be higher. School taxes are included in your County bill which is the lead taxing authority.
6% sales tax on most everything (including clothes) except food.
Safety inspection for your car-$50 to $100 not including any repairs. No regular safety inspection after the initial one.
6% excise tax to register your car in the state. Tags are $180/2 years
$14 every two years air pollution inspection on your car.
5-7% state income tax, most counties collect 1/2 of that again called the "piggyback" tax.
None of the strange taxes some states have like the priveledge to work tax, EMS tax, etc.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Thank you for the info ok blond moment here forgive me...
so if I paid 6% ct tax on my car it doesn't matter???
one of my cars is leased do I still pay?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,928,608 times
The State of Maryland does not impose an income tax on automobiles, whether owned or leased. In its place, each county imposes a local income tax, called a "piggyback" tax, because the tax rides on the shoulders of the state income tax.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfancypants View Post
Thank you for the info ok blond moment here forgive me...
so if I paid 6% ct tax on my car it doesn't matter???
I think that depends on how recently you paid it there.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
I don't know about the leased car but the owned one has a 6% transfer/excise tax no matter how long she's owned it. If it's really old it's something like $100 or so.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
On this page scroll down to find this info:

Quote:
For vehicles less than 7 years old:
  • Vehicle(s) titled in a state with a tax rate equal to or higher than Maryland's 6% tax rate will cost $100.
  • If the vehicle is registered in a state that imposes no tax, the tax will be assessed at 6% of the value of the vehicle.
  • Vehicles from a state with a lower tax rate than Maryland's 6% will be taxed at the rate of the difference between the two states. Example: MD 6%, VA 3%, the difference is a 3% tax rate. Minimum tax - $100. When the value of the vehicle is less than $2,000, the 6% rate will apply.
For a vehicle over 7 years old:
  • Tax is based on the greater of the purchase price or the minimum of $640. The MVA may require you to submit additional documentation to substantiate the purchase price.
For a leased vehicle:
  • Lease agreement and proof of monthly lease payments (leased vehicles only) – If you have paid or are paying excise tax to another state through your lease payments, the documents may be needed to determine the amount of excise tax credit you may receive

Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 PM

Fabulous info thank you

Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM

109 posts, read 341,553 times
I brought in my 2001 Saturn, worth about $3000, and they said it was worth over $8500, they will say it's the maximum pristine amount you could ever possibly get from a private party, ie the TOP Kelly Blue Book.

Because I had a title change involved, too (coming here after a divorce) they wouldn't honor any of the waivers.

I paid over $1300 to bring that crappy car here.

NEVER would I again move a car to Maryland. Sell what you have, and buy another one here. That's what they are trying to make you do, I think.

It's highway robbery. I have no idea how the citizens here let it get like this. Don't even start me on the "piggyback" county and city income taxes. It's outrageously expensive here.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 PM

19 posts, read 83,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyFavers View Post
I brought in my 2001 Saturn, worth about $3000, and they said it was worth over $8500, they will say it's the maximum pristine amount you could ever possibly get from a private party, ie the TOP Kelly Blue Book.

Because I had a title change involved, too (coming here after a divorce) they wouldn't honor any of the waivers.

I paid over $1300 to bring that crappy car here.

NEVER would I again move a car to Maryland. Sell what you have, and buy another one here. That's what they are trying to make you do, I think.

It's highway robbery. I have no idea how the citizens here let it get like this. Don't even start me on the "piggyback" county and city income taxes. It's outrageously expensive here.
Is it true? We plan to bring our 1999 Honda accord here. we love this car, been so reliable. how much do you pay taxes and everything? What is the process of it? I have no documention showing how much I bought it. Are they gonna charge based on the purchasing price or currunt value?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland