Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 07:18 PM

6 posts, read 23,882 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent Engineering graduate and currently live in Houston, Texas. I think there may be an impending job offer for me at Motorola there and looks like I may have to relocate. Motorola is located around Columbia Gateway Dr at the Micro Systems building and I'd really like to live as close as possible but don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on housing. How is the area around there? Are there any recommendations or suggestions on where to stay? I'll be moving with my wife and 3 dogs. Also, what is a good Salary to live comfortably in Maryland?

Oh and anyone work at Motorola?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 PM

382 posts, read 1,202,454 times
eeguy, I'm not going to be able to give you the overall numbers you want, but Gateway is a very convenient area to work in. You'll have all kinds of housing options available with a very short commute. Unfortunately, the price of housing is going to be much higher than in Houston. We have family there and I'm very jealous of the house they were able to buy. Twice the size for about half the price of ours. And with those nice southern touches that seem to be standard down there.

If you plan to rent, plan on $1200 for a 2-br apt or condo in the county. A decent townhome would probably start in the upper $200s but you could probably find cheaper if you aren't too picky.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM

I will be flying over there this Thursday and leaving Sunday to find housing. Anyone know a good Realtor that could show us some houses or apartments for rent? We really need to find something. Please PM me.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:35 PM

54 posts, read 174,665 times
My neighbor works for Motorola & we live in the Sykesville/Eldersburg area.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm actually looking specifically at the condos at 8703 Hayshed Ln. I'd like to know if that's a good area. I drove past there during the day and night and it seemed okay. The condos are a bit ugly but it's very convenient for me since I'll be working in Columbia.

Also I would be very interested in someone offering their home for rent near Columbia. If anyone knows someone PM me.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 PM

382 posts, read 1,202,454 times
eeguy, I just saw your other post on the same topic. The Hayshed Ln condo is in an older village that looks run down in many areas. It's down the street from a village center that many people avoid because of the groups of teens hanging around - there are a lot of apartments nearby. I don't know that it's unsafe or anything, but it's an area with a lot of older rentals and it is what it is. But for someone just starting out who needs to rent for a while, I'm sure it's fine. And it's close to the big shopping areas off of Dobbin.

I'm not familiar with the other area you mentioned, but it sounds like it's near Whiskey Bottom, which has a reputation of being somewhat rough. If you don't need to be further south for some reason, I think Columbia might be a better choice.

Good luck on your visit - I hope you can find an agent to help!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 AM

131 posts, read 343,653 times
I'm not overly familiar with the area, but I looked for housing in the columbia area last year.

I viewed several nice homes in the 350-400k range.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
eeguy, I just saw your other post on the same topic. The Hayshed Ln condo is in an older village that looks run down in many areas. It's down the street from a village center that many people avoid because of the groups of teens hanging around - there are a lot of apartments nearby. I don't know that it's unsafe or anything, but it's an area with a lot of older rentals and it is what it is. But for someone just starting out who needs to rent for a while, I'm sure it's fine. And it's close to the big shopping areas off of Dobbin.

I'm not familiar with the other area you mentioned, but it sounds like it's near Whiskey Bottom, which has a reputation of being somewhat rough. If you don't need to be further south for some reason, I think Columbia might be a better choice.

Good luck on your visit - I hope you can find an agent to help!
Thank you for your input. Yeah, the condo complex looks a bit ugly from the outside but the condo is really nice in the inside and I like how it's very convenient from where I'll be working at. I figured I could live with it being ugly atleast for now until I find something better. I just want to make sure that the area isn't really "bad". "Bad" is always so relative, over here in Houston I can name you some bad areas but I dont know if they would be considered as bad as a "bad" area in Columbia.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:29 PM

581 posts, read 1,169,689 times
I think thats in Long Reach, I used to live in another part of Long Reach. I had a few issues with cars being vandalized, but nothing major. That village center always seemed to have shady characters hanging around. I avoided it. Bottom line, its not that bad, but there are much nicer areas in Columbia that probably arent much more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: