Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:08 PM

70 posts, read 273,659 times

Advertisements

Any opinions? My fiance and I are looking for places in Baltimore County because they need teachers badly. We do not want to live in the inner city, so we have been looking at Owings Mills, Ellicott City, Dundalk, etc. we're basically open to suggestions

Can't wait to move! My mom lives in Frederick and I am from Michigan...for some background info... LOVE the frederick area...

Thanks!

Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaGM08 View Post
Any opinions? My fiance and I are looking for places in Baltimore County because they need teachers badly. We do not want to live in the inner city, so we have been looking at Owings Mills, Ellicott City, Dundalk, etc. we're basically open to suggestions

Can't wait to move! My mom lives in Frederick and I am from Michigan...for some background info... LOVE the frederick area...

Thanks!

Jess

You should try the Canton, Federal Hill, area in Baltimore. Lots of young professionals. Catonsville and Halethorpe aren't too bad and very close to 95....

Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 PM

Thanks! So I shouldn't count on getting a job right away outside of the Baltimore City Public Schools?

Jess

Old 07-17-2007, 02:27 PM

53 posts, read 229,815 times
Canton and Federal Hill are good recommendations for Baltimore City. As for Baltimore County, Owings Mills isn't bad but I think Ellicott City and Towson are nicer areas.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 PM

24 posts, read 108,741 times
Default Are You Crazy Stay Away From Baltimore

Baltimore is VERY dangerous. Owings Mills is also not safe. A man was shot at a movie theater last year in Owings Mills. Even Baltimore County is bad. Carroll County is the last safe county at the present time.

We are about to leave the state to get away from the crime.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredperry View Post
Baltimore is VERY dangerous. Owings Mills is also not safe. A man was shot at a movie theater last year in Owings Mills. Even Baltimore County is bad. Carroll County is the last safe county at the present time.

We are about to leave the state to get away from the crime.
baltimore city yes..part of baltimore county , PG county are....but overall outside the city is ok...dont get too paranoid about the crime.
Look at the latest baltimoresun survey for people in the city. majority of the people are so obssive with the crimes and neglected the education adn economy and jobs.
If the educations, economy and have jobs good ...the crime rate will dropped dramactically...

lol majority of the killing really have something to do with drugs, gangs ...some of it just unlucky bastard....
you should move to .........north pole if you are afraid of crime and prevent you to come out your house at night..

Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 PM

222 posts, read 1,054,182 times
I live in Owings Mills and have not seen a crime problem in my area beyond car break-ins (not fun, but not murder either - stealing BMW headlights). I feel reasonably safe walking my dog at night alone. I am at reisterstown rd and greenspring valley rd. PM me for more details if you'd like - I am also a teacher looking at Balt co or Howard co.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM

THANK YOU!!! I am going to go over all of this with my fiance this weekend. I'm sure we'll have more questions... It's nice to know someone else agrees that there is crime no matter where you go. I live in a very, VERY, small town and we had 2 murders last year- drug related...and I'm from Michigan. So. I'm glad there are areas around that we can still feel safe Thanks again for the feedback-I love this website...

Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
I lived in Owings Mill for a year. No problems. Towson is definitely nicer and has better shopping/dining choices.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Okay. So We are primarily looking at the Towson area now... should I stay away from the surrounding areas such as Pikesville, Mays chapel, Lutherville-Timonium, Cockeysville, Carney, Parkville, etc.? I don't know how big the borders are around that area.... I'm posting this on a new thread as well. Thank you all for your wonderful, amazing, fabulous help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland