Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,794 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Like many on this thread my husband and I are moving from NJ to the Aberdeen area the BRAC way, in the upcoming months. We haven't quite decided where we are going to buy, although my husband has been told that Havre de Grace, Elkton and Bel Air were all nice places to live in the area. But I digress..

Can anyone give me an estimate of monthly utilities costs? Whatever we buy is going to be at least 2000 sq/ft. I am interested in both houses and townhome average montly costs on:

- Electricity
- Gas
- Water/Sewer
- Garbage Removal
- Typical AC influence on electric bill in the hot months of the summer

Any tips on the traps to avoid whenever buying real estate in the area would also be appreciated.

Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 PM

49 posts, read 215,807 times
Hi!
We also are part of the BRAC move from NJ to MD. We chose Havre de Grace and we are absolutely in love with the area and the people. We have been here since mid-August. Part of the reason we chose the house we chose was b/c it had natural gas along with electric. We had heard horror stories about $900 bills on all electric houses and didn't want to experience that.
We have BGE and they are both our gas and electric (a little different from NJ). Our bills the last 2 months were about $160 - $180. This month it was $205 - but remember that's both gas and electric. Our house is 1800 sq ft, 4 br colonial.
We also got our first water/sewer bill about a month or 2 ago (which I think gets billed quarterly). It was approx $180.
Garbage and recycling is included in taxes, and I can't answer about the AC b/c we were only here during the end of Aug and didn't experience a full summer here yet.
Pls feel free to ask any questions you might have - I know exactly how you feel and what you're going through - just did it myself!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 PM

377 posts, read 1,115,931 times
We have Delmarva, but I find the gas to be a lot more expensive than the electric. Our bills are much higher in the winter than the summer. We also have one bill for both though, but it is broken down.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM

49 posts, read 148,743 times
Default Elkton utility costs

We have Delmarva power for a 2300 sf home all electric (heat pump) and have a new hot tub outside that is also electric ( of course). We have budget billing which means that we pay the same all year round. We pay $275 per month for 11 months and get the 12th month free. our water averages $35 month. Our garbage etc is included in our taxes BUT within the town limits they also include leaf pickup and bulk pickup at no extra charge or appointment. ( In AA County where we used to live, you had to schedule these things.)

If you see my other posts, I am partial to Elkton for many reasons. Good luckin your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland