Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times

Advertisements

Well, as a native Marylander, I can settle this once and for all. As a child in the early 1960s, we went to Florida for a vacation once, and a waitress in a restaurant said, "Y'all are northerners - I kin tell bah the way yue tawk!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Well, as a native Marylander, I can settle this once and for all. As a child in the early 1960s, we went to Florida for a vacation once, and a waitress in a restaurant said, "Y'all are northerners - I kin tell bah the way yue tawk!"
To the people of Maine, anybody that's not from Maine is a Southerner. It's all in the perception. The fine folks in the Deep South consider North Carolina and Virginia to be in the North.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 7,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
To the people of Maine, anybody that's not from Maine is a Southerner. It's all in the perception. The fine folks in the Deep South consider North Carolina and Virginia to be in the North.
I was raised in Alabama and Georgia. I do consider North Carolina to be the South. VA is where you start to get more of that northern vibe the further north you go, especially around the DC area but its still the South. Maryland is in no way southern. The climate, the culture, the mindset of the people are all very different. Maryland is too charmless to even be considered an upper region of the South.

Folks from NY say Maryland is country, which it really is. But it isn't Southern. Parts of Ohio can be very country but its not the south. Parts of the South arent country at all.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Well, I lived in Maine and anyone who is not from Maine is simply "from away". Not to mention that even if you were born in Maine you are still not from Maine unless you have at least three generations of family buried in a Maine cemetery. Depending on the type of Mainer you want to reference, some consider everything below Augusta, or the Volvo Line, as Southern Maine aka Not the Real Maine aka Northern Massachusetts aka North Boston...or something along those lines. These are the same people that refer to the Maine/New Hampshire border as the Maple Curtain and don't really consider much of anything outside of northern and eastern Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2maryland View Post
Folks from NY say Maryland is country, which it really is. But it isn't Southern. Parts of Ohio can be very country but its not the south. Parts of the South arent country at all.
If this is the case than New York outside of NYC is country as practically the entire State outside of that area is rural.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2maryland View Post
I don't see how it could be country but not southern. Maryland had a huge slave population and had a lot of plantations. What's not southern about that? The reason my dad said he became a Redskins fan was because it was the only team "in the South" at the time he was growing up.

Quote:
The fine folks in the Deep South consider North Carolina and Virginia to be in the North.
This is true. I knew someone from Jackson, Mississippi who told me that South Carolina was, in his words, "like the North of the South." So I guess North Carolina and Virginia were definitely out of the question to him.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 03-05-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't see how it could be country but not southern. Maryland had a huge slave population and had a lot of plantations. What's not southern about that? The reason my dad said he became a Redskins fan was because it was the only team "in the South" at the time he was growing up.
In the past 10 - 20 years, the Southern culture of Maryland has been diluted. Much of it is caused by the high transplant population, but people here don't usually self-identify as Southern, either. Go to other places in the South with a high transplant population, such as Atlanta or Cary, and they will still certainly tell you that they reside in the South.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
In the past 10 - 20 years, the Southern culture of Maryland has been diluted. Much of it is caused by the high transplant population, but people here don't usually self-identify as Southern, either. Go to other places in the South with a high transplant population, such as Atlanta or Cary, and they will still certainly tell you that they reside in the South.
Depends on who you ask, right?

Quote:
"For black folks, this is still very much a Southern city," Carr said. "D.C. has very little in common with a stereotypical Northern city."

Carr cited the presence of an entrenched black elite in Washington as a characteristic of Southern cities, along the lines of Atlanta and Charlotte. Its still-living history of sharply segregated neighborhoods is another sign, as well as the paucity of white ethnic neighborhoods, such as Italian or Irish sections of Baltimore, New York and Boston.
D.C. area and Dixie drifting farther and farther apart

Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, I lived in Maine and anyone who is not from Maine is simply "from away". Not to mention that even if you were born in Maine you are still not from Maine unless you have at least three generations of family buried in a Maine cemetery.
The people of Maine impress me as being a bit standoffish, even much more so than the locals here in NC. At least here in NC, the older locals have come to accept me as one of their own, even if I am from Maryland. But then, it may have finally sunk in to them that no matter what they say or do, I'm not going back to Maryland.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I'm wondering if some people here can give y'alls perspective on the Eastern Shore and how Southern in nature that region specifically is. I've always seen ti as the more Southern part of Maryland even being from Louisiana. Of course its not AS Southern as Louisiana but it has a Southern feel to it.

There is nothing Southern about Montgomery County that feels like New Jersey and New York. Baltimore I think is a mix. I found areas like Cockeysville, Towson, Lutherville etc to be more northern in mindset and feel compared to areas like Dundalk and Essex and Pasadena. Western Maryland is "country" but the northern kind of country.

Some people like to assocaite rural with the South and urban with the North which is VERY inaccurate. The "North" also means the Pennsylvania coal country, upstate New York and small fishing towns in Maine while the South also includes very large cities and suburbs as well as big banking and manufacturing businesses. In all parts of the US the majority of people do live in the suburbs.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm wondering if some people here can give y'alls perspective on the Eastern Shore and how Southern in nature that region specifically is. I've always seen ti as the more Southern part of Maryland even being from Louisiana. Of course its not AS Southern as Louisiana but it has a Southern feel to it.

There is nothing Southern about Montgomery County that feels like New Jersey and New York. Baltimore I think is a mix. I found areas like Cockeysville, Towson, Lutherville etc to be more northern in mindset and feel compared to areas like Dundalk and Essex and Pasadena. Western Maryland is "country" but the northern kind of country.

Some people like to assocaite rural with the South and urban with the North which is VERY inaccurate. The "North" also means the Pennsylvania coal country, upstate New York and small fishing towns in Maine while the South also includes very large cities and suburbs as well as big banking and manufacturing businesses. In all parts of the US the majority of people do live in the suburbs.
Some will say the Eastern shore is southern but I believe it is solidly Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland