Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 PM

581 posts, read 964,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Southern accents are viewed as a marker of inferior intellect and low social class.
As much as I prefer to speak "Tidewater" and feel it's a part of my identity, I wouldn't dare speak anything other than Standard American English in any professional or academic situation, or around any strangers. Once you start speaking with an accent, the accent is all anyone will hear. Sad really.

It's the same everywhere. In Italy i've been called out for speaking "Umbriano" instead of "Italiano", because I picked up my Italian from everyday interaction, without realizing I was picking up a local dialect.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 11-25-2014 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 04:38 AM

4,797 posts, read 6,008,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
As much as I prefer to speak "Tidewater" and feel it's a part of my identity, I wouldn't dare speak anything other than Standard American English in any professional or academic situation, or around any strangers. Once you start speaking with an accent, the accent is all anyone will hear. Sad really.

It's the same everywhere. In Italy i've been called out for speaking "Umbriano" instead of "Italiano", because I picked up my Italian from everyday interaction, without realizing I was picking up a local dialect.
Right. It is not unique to the South. In fact here the Chicago accent is as close to Standard American as most accents could get, but many people still make a case for changing their "th" sound away from a "d" sound, which makes one sound like they "have an accent". There was a time when everyone's "th" sound was a "d", but now you don't hear it as much.

I will disagree with you on the strangers thing. Around strangers I am more comfortable using Inland North American English as it keeps my identity grounded.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:24 AM

31,938 posts, read 34,477,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The boojie people from NY don't think it sounds clever, though. I know some NYers that think it sounds abysmal. I personally like it and think it's a cooler version of the Chicago accent.
I don't care for the sound of it. But the NYC accent doesn't connote intellectual inferiority; the southern accent does. At worst, the New York accent brings the words "low class" to mind, but the southern accent brings to mind the words "hayseed," "bumpkin," "country," "inbred," "lazy," "gullible," "stupid," in addition to all of the parochialism associated with other regional accents.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:27 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,321,320 times
Quote:
I don't care for the sound of it. But the NYC accent doesn't connote intellectual inferiority; the southern accent does. At worst, the New York accent brings the words "low class" to mind, but the southern accent brings to mind the words "hayseed," "bumpkin," "country," "inbred," "lazy," "gullible," "stupid," in addition to all of the parochialism associated with other regional accents.
Out of curiosity, what comes to mind with this guys accent?

lol, I'm aware that's about as 100% Boston as it gets (I'm from CT after all). CT's accent is fairly neutral depending on what part you're from...but I think it's more a mix between Mass and NY.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Out of curiosity, what comes to mind with this guys accent?
In terms of what?

It's very Boston Irish. In college, we (Black students) were told to stay out of Irish neighborhoods. So fear is one of the first things that comes to mind.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
In terms of what?

It's very Boston Irish. In college, we (Black students) were told to stay out of Irish neighborhoods. So fear is one of the first things that comes to mind.
In terms of what the stereotype might be. I haven't heard anything in the past regarding Boston Irish accents

Old 11-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
In terms of what the stereotype might be. I haven't heard anything in the past regarding Boston Irish accents
Bagpipes, Red Sox, cops, firefighters, kangol caps, shamrocks, alcohol, tracksuits, IRA supporters, St. Patrick's Day, The Departed, cops, firefighters, fighting, alcohol, "hawkey," The Town, bagpipes, Red Sox, the "Paaaaaaaaaaaaats," "Sowwwwwwwwthiiiieeee," Mystic River, Good Will Hunting, shamrocks, alcohol, Whitey Bulger, dancing, fighting, fighting. And fighting.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-26-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Bagpipes, Red Sox, cops, firefighters, shamrocks, alcohol, The Departed, cops, firefighters, fighting, alcohol, "hawkey," The Town, bagpipes, Red Sox, the "Paaaaaaaaaaaaats," Mystic River, shamrocks, alcohol, Whitey Bulger, dancing, fighting, fighting. And fighting.
LMAO!

That was awesome

Old 11-29-2014, 01:21 PM

342 posts, read 508,874 times
I downloaded and read the PDF file of the UNC Chapel-Hill Southern Focus poll that asks people from various states if they are southern. These results are from the 90's. Here is what it says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHERE IS THE SOUTH?

The South has been defined by a great many characteristics, but one of the most interesting definitions is where people believe that they are in the South. A related definition is where the residents consider themselves to be southerners, although this is obviously affected by the presence of non-southern migrants.

Until recently we did not have the data to answer the question of where either of those conditions is met. Since 1992, however, 14 twice-yearly Southern Focus Polls conducted by the Institute for Research in Social Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have asked respondents from the 11 former Confederate states, Kentucky, and Oklahoma "Just for the record, would you say that your community is in the South, or not?" Starting with the third of the series, the same question was asked of smaller samples of respondents from West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia, and Missouri (all except Missouri included in the Bureau of the Census's "South"). Respondents from the 13 southern states were also asked "Do you consider yourself a Southerner, or not?," while starting with the second survey those from other states were asked "Do you consider yourself or anyone in your family a Southerner?" and if so, whether they considered themselves to be Southerners.

It is clear from these data that if the point is to isolate southerners for study or to compare them to other Americans the definition of the South employed by the Southern Focus Poll (and, incidentally, by the Gallup Organization) makes sense, while the Bureau of the Census definiton does not. We already knew that, of course, but it's good to be able to document it.

--John Shelton Reed

Percent who say their community is in the South (percentage base in parentheses)

Alabama 98 (717) South Carolina 98 (553) Louisiana 97 (606) Mississippi 97 (431) Georgia 97 (1017) Tennessee 97 (838) North Carolina 93 (1292) Arkansas 92 (400) Florida 90 (1792) Texas 84 (2050) Virginia 82 (1014) Kentucky 79 (582) Oklahoma 69 (411)

West Virginia 45 (82) Maryland 40 (173) Missouri 23 (177) Delaware 14 (21) D.C. 7 (15)

Percent who say they are Southerners (percentage base in parentheses)

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791)

West Virginia 25 (84) Maryland 19 (192) Missouri 15 (197) New Mexico 13 (68) Delaware 12 (25) D.C. 12 (16) Utah 11 (70) Indiana 10 (208) Illinois 9 (362) Ohio 8 (396) Arizona 7 (117) Michigan 6 (336)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So only 19% of Marylanders identified as southern. Comapred to 15% in MO, 12% in DC, 12% in DE, 25% in WV, 13% in NM, 11% in Utah, 10% in Indiana, 9% in Illinois, 8% in Ohio, 7% in Arizona, 6% in Michigan. There is also the current poll in City Data where Maryland is being badly beaten by Missouri and Indiana for southerness, and is neck and neck with Ohio and Illinois. So we are really pushing it to call MD southern, unless we start to consider Ohio, Illinois and Indiana as well. Like these states the area of MD with southern or borderline southern culture is the extreme south, away from the base of the population. So in Md's example most people live around Baltimore and DC, and not in the rural low population areas of far southern MD like La Plata and Salisbury.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:30 PM

41 posts, read 40,835 times
I always felt that they should use real ammunition at reenactments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland