Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

According to the US Census Bureau, yes. Culturally and politically, though, Maryland has much more in common with a NE state than a Southern state. But, while Maryland was a border state during the Civil War, it was then certainly considered a part of the "South." As you go into deep SE Maryland, that's where things start to get interesting (black MD culture is also intrinsically linked to black Southern culture), but there are too many northern transplants for me to consider this a Southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:03 AM

194 posts, read 240,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Note to self: according to ball freak, anytime a state loses its southernness, move that state to the northeast region.

Makes sense!

Don't you worry VA, you'll progress to the northeast soon enough lol
Oh so it makes sense to include a state that's no longer Southern in the South. Yeah right...The only part of Virginia that has lost its Southerness is Northern Virginia. The rest of the state will not lose it's Southerness because it's demographics, linguistics, and culture is virtually unchanged. So nice try but you lose.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
According to the US Census Bureau, yes. Culturally and politically, though, Maryland has much more in common with a NE state than a Southern state. But, while Maryland was a border state during the Civil War, it was then certainly considered a part of the "South." As you go into deep SE Maryland, that's where things start to get interesting (black MD culture is also intrinsically linked to black Southern culture), but there are too many northern transplants for me to consider this a Southern state.
Not all of them are transplants. Many Marylanders that aren't Southern have family roots in that state going back before the Civil War
so to call all Northerners transplants is inaccurate. Maryland in the Civil War had far more Union sympathizers than Confederate ones. The fact Baltimore has Civil War monuments dedicated to both sides illustrates it had divided loyalties in the Civil War. Eddieolskool can't admit he is wrong, wolf has been reduced to mocking me by claiming Virginia will lose its Southerness when that shows no signs of happening outside of NOVA. The simple fact is in most ways today it is not Southern. The states it is most similar to today are Pennsylvania and Delaware culturally and linguistically. So again I say, if it no longer looks like or quacks like a duck, how is it still a duck.

Last edited by Ball freak; 12-08-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Not all of them are transplants. Many Marylanders that aren't Southern have family roots in that state going back before the Civil War
so to call all Northerners transplants is inaccurate. Maryland in the Civil War had far more Union sympathizers than Confederate ones. The fact Baltimore has Civil War monuments dedicated to both sides illustrates it had divided loyalties in the Civil War. Eddieolskool can't admit he is wrong, wolf has been reduced to mocking me by claiming Virginia will lose its Southerness when that shows no signs of happening outside of NOVA. The simple fact is in most ways today it is not Southern. The states it is most similar to today are Pennsylvania and Delaware culturally and linguistically. So again I say, if it no longer looks like or quacks like a duck, how is it still a duck.
The more accurate question is "How is it a northeastern state?"

You can whine all you want that the state has lost it's "touch" with the southerners and it wouldn't magically change it into a northeastern state. If we allow a state to change regions because of lack of southerness then we would need to apply the same logic to every state.

Which means, over time, you would advocate for southern states to move into the northeastern region as they collectively lose their southerness (which you've already admitted this as the case). Your logic is silly and laughable. The south overall will overtime change into something else (especially as more northerners travel).

I suppose one day some hundred+ years from now the south will be nothing... and the eastern region will just be the "northeast" I guess. You know, because logic dictates that we should move states that aren't as southern as they used to be into the northeast

Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
The only part of Virginia that has lost its Southerness is Northern Virginia. The rest of the state will not lose it's Southerness because it's demographics, linguistics, and culture is virtually unchanged. So nice try but you lose.
Have you ever actually been to these areas that you speak of? I've known people that either currently live in the Norfolk area or are from that area my entire life. I have been there many times. In the rural areas, the Southernese is still there but once you move into the metro, that all melts away. Richmond is the same way. As is Raleigh and Charlotte. Even this little city of 100,000 that I live in currently has lost a lot of it's Southern identity and the longtime residents know it. They talk about it and how they wish the Damn Yankees would just go home and stop changing everything.

Maryland is the same way. The rural areas tend to be more Southern in nature and the metros more Northeastern. That's just the way it is.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Have you ever actually been to these areas that you speak of? I've known people that either currently live in the Norfolk area or are from that area my entire life. I have been there many times. In the rural areas, the Southernese is still there but once you move into the metro, that all melts away. Richmond is the same way. As is Raleigh and Charlotte. Even this little city of 100,000 that I live in currently has lost a lot of it's Southern identity and the longtime residents know it. They talk about it and how they wish the Damn Yankees would just go home and stop changing everything.

Maryland is the same way. The rural areas tend to be more Southern in nature and the metros more Northeastern. That's just the way it is.
Yes I have smart one and I disagree with you strongly. You're confusing Southern with country. I've been to Norfolk and Richmond and those two cities are culturally and linguistically Southern. Maryland is not the same way. The only parts of Maryland that are Southern today is the Eastern shore and Southern Maryland. Western Maryland is not the South. Richmond and Norfolk are every bit as southern as Charlotte and Raleigh. All of those cities are culturally and linguistically Southern. If you think cities in North Carolina aren't Southern I guess there is no South. What's next? Atlanta isn't Southern? You people on here make me laugh. None of those cities have lost their Southern identity. There is no way in hell I'm going to believe Charlotte and Richmond have more in common with New York than Jackson, Mississippi. It's not supported by linguistics, demographics, or culture. Please come prepared with details instead of just making bland statements that can't be supported by evidence.

Last edited by Ball freak; 12-08-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
The more accurate question is "How is it a northeastern state?"

You can whine all you want that the state has lost it's "touch" with the southerners and it wouldn't magically change it into a northeastern state. If we allow a state to change regions because of lack of southerness then we would need to apply the same logic to every state.

Which means, over time, you would advocate for southern states to move into the northeastern region as they collectively lose their southerness (which you've already admitted this as the case). Your logic is silly and laughable. The south overall will overtime change into something else (especially as more northerners travel).

I suppose one day some hundred+ years from now the south will be nothing... and the eastern region will just be the "northeast" I guess. You know, because logic dictates that we should move states that aren't as southern as they used to be into the northeast
You really donT get it. It is a northeastern state by dialect, politics, which is shared only with Northeastern states in most of the state, culture, etc. demographics can be argued both ways, because Pennsylvania and Maryland have a white population predominantly German American. No place in the south has that. Why is it a problem for Maryland if people have no problem with Pennsylvania? you just don't know when quit do you. You Eddieolskool and Richard Martin have fun living in your fantasy world. If you think Maryland is Southern, you don't know what the South is. And Philadelphians don't have a Southern accent...that comment predates the linguistic maps. If you 3 can't accept the facts, not my problem. Goodbye.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You really donT get it. It is a northeastern state by dialect, politics, which is shared only with Northeastern states in most of the state, culture, etc. demographics can be argued both ways, because Pennsylvania and Maryland have a white population predominantly German American. No place in the south has that. Why is it a problem for Maryland if people have no problem with Pennsylvania? you just don't know when quit do you. You Eddieolskool and Richard Martin have fun living in your fantasy world. If you think Maryland is Southern, you don't know what the South is. And Philadelphians don't have a Southern accent...that comment predates the linguistic maps. If you 3 can't accept the facts, not my problem. Goodbye.
This is goodbye number what? 6?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:08 PM

56 posts, read 79,627 times
These people want Maryland to be a banjo state lol

Old 12-08-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCK29 View Post
These people want Maryland to be a banjo state lol
How conveniently stereotypical of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland