Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think this is first time you mentioned Hampton Roads by name, before you only referenced the larger Tidewater VA area, which is where Southern cultural was founded(along with South Carolina) back in colonial times. DC is part of this area. Heck, Robert E. Lee's Plantation is just across the river.

For what it is worth, I never considered Miami to be Southern in the least, rather, the northernmost projection of Caribbean Hispanic culture, so I think the same shoe fits on both city's feet in the minds of non-natives.
Ah my mistake. Didn't mean for the confusion. But I was talking about the Hampton Roads area only.

Quote:
Do you all really think rap and hip-hop reflects on the general African American culture as far as traditional food, history, and ways of life? I think you are missing the point. I am sure a 50-year-old female AA native of DC would not be swayed by rap videos. Try telling natives of PG who have roots there for hundreds of years and who are descendants of slaves in PG that they are northern. I just don't understand the argument.
It's part of it whether a 50 year old female AA native of DC acknowledges it or not. BTW, my cousin who is around that age has lived in DC her entire life. She and the rest of my family does not consider herself Southern (nor Northern for that matter). But I'm getting your point. I'm just disagreeing with it and telling you what I and many other Blacks Southerners perspective of the DC and Maryland area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R View Post
The greater Baltimore area is northern-oriented lol. I think the area have more in common with the Philladelphia area than a southern city metro area. Maryland is not a southern state in character because most folks in the state don't have southern accents, most areas don't have southern hospitality, the taxes and cost of living in this state is high, we get more snow storms than the south, and we are not in the bible belt.
You know, I give up. Anyone else want to take this one and shoot down these arguments like has already been done for the past 20-some pages and multiple threads?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Wonderful. However, they did not name EVERY POSSIBLE Southern place like you are trying to assume. Do you really think black people in DC, MD, VA, WV, KY, Arkansas, Oklahoma do not consider themselves Southerners because they were not named in the damn song?
From my experience, I know these two places don't.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
^^^ First of all where in this quote below of myself did I ever say what you said I said in the Bold red letters?

??????

I never said he didn't know what other outsider's think and even if he did that doesn't mean that he would know what "Every" outsider think if thats you were thinking. The only thing that even comes close to what you said I stated in my comment is highlighted in RED BOLD LETTERS, but even that doesn't even reflect none of what you said I said.

I'm not going to go back and post every post you said again. It's all there and people can draw their own conclusions.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
From my experience, I know these two places don't.
Even so, my point about the song still stands. You can't use it to show that MD and DC are not southern because other undeniably Southern states are excluded.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
BTW, westsideboy, this has already been discussed even in the DC forum. Pay attention to the posts that state how people in the Southern states would laugh at the notion of DC being Southern now.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...hern-city.html
Right, and we are page 30 or something now of this thread about Maryland. No one is denying that Maryland and DC are "disputed territory" now, and you will find people 100% sure Maryland is Northern and people 100% sure Maryland is Southern, and people like me that are 100% sure we are both and neither at the same time.

We are both because our state contains elements of both cultures, some areas trending strongly towards one or the other. We are neither because nobody in the extreme north wants to claim us as their own, and no one in the extreme south wants to claim us either.

Dumb, really. For every cultural that is divided sharply and decisively from its neighbors by a mountain range, there are dozens that fade and overlap gradually along a sort of frontier zone from one to the other. That is Maryland, we are a border state. DC is in our former territory.

But I will say it again, the water lapping up on the beach is still part of the ocean.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
But I will say it again, the water lapping up on the beach is still part of the ocean.
Okay, but which ocean? Maryland "laps up on" the North and the South.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
Quote:
Do you all really think rap and hip-hop reflects on the general African American culture as far as traditional food, history, and ways of life? I think you are missing the point. I am sure a 50-year-old female AA native of DC would not be swayed by rap videos. Try telling natives of PG who have roots there for hundreds of years and who are descendants of slaves in PG that they are northern. I just don't understand the argument.
In a lot of ways it does because that's how most hip hop Artist express where they're from and what they're city and town is all about. I dare you to tell someone from NY (where hip hop was created) and a way of life there that hip hop doesn't reflect upon the AA communities and see what happens. Mr. MDGuy99 I really think that you just don't understand that a lot of us are not like the DC or MD people that you know, but you mind as well get over it because it will not be that way except for the parts where you are from.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Even so, my point about the song still stands. You can't use it to show that MD and DC are not southern because other undeniably Southern states are excluded.
No I showed it to show that many Blacks in these states do not consider DC and Maryland Southern. BTW, the song did mention Little Rock which is in Arkansas. And I also showed because Black Americans in Miami do consider themselves as Southerners.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
No I showed it to show that many Blacks in these states do not consider DC and Maryland Southern. BTW, the song did mention Little Rock which is in Arkansas.
Oh, well excuse me. They never mentioned VA, WV, KY, or OK either.... so they are not southern to black people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland