Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 09:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Maryland is as she was 160 years ago: a Southern state, occupied by Yankees.
I guess Delaware and South Jersey are to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 PM

171 posts, read 218,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I guess Delaware and South Jersey are to?
What would make New Jersey a part of Dixie, as it's always been Northern?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 PM

Ya know, people bash the Mason-Dixon line, regardless of the reason(s). But I ask though, were the states that were decided to be above and below the line, not decided for a reason? Honest question.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Ya know, people bash the Mason-Dixon line, regardless of the reason(s). But I ask though, were the states that were decided to be above and below the line, not decided for a reason? Honest question.
Here is the honest answer.

The Mason-Dixon line was drawn to resolve a boundary dispute between the colonies of Maryland and PA. It became the de facto slavery boundary for the east coast much later (although Delaware is a slave state and technically on the PA side of the Mason-Dixon line.)

The fact that other colonies ended up north or south of this line was well....unavoidable?

Many colonies north of the Mason Dixon line allowed slavery until well after the Revolution, so the boundary wasn't intended and didn't function to separate the Slave State from the Free States on the East Coast until well after the line was drawn, and even then Delaware was the outlier...on the PA side of the line, but still a Slave State until the Civil War.

Mason

Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,131 times
It's definitely not a southern state anymore. When I'm in Maryland I don't here no southern accents.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afromatic View Post
It's definitely not a southern state anymore. When I'm in Maryland I don't here no southern accents.

You don't go to the right areas to hear them.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,082 times
I came to Maryland from northern Indiana and the kids in the third grade liked to sing "Dixie". It was the first I'd heard the song.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM

8 posts, read 18,795 times
maryland is mid atlantic some parts of the eastern shore feel southern but maryland is more northern overall the baltimore dc area is just as up tempo as philly or boston

Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Here is the honest answer.

The Mason-Dixon line was drawn to resolve a boundary dispute between the colonies of Maryland and PA. It became the de facto slavery boundary for the east coast much later (although Delaware is a slave state and technically on the PA side of the Mason-Dixon line.)

The fact that other colonies ended up north or south of this line was well....unavoidable?

Many colonies north of the Mason Dixon line allowed slavery until well after the Revolution, so the boundary wasn't intended and didn't function to separate the Slave State from the Free States on the East Coast until well after the line was drawn, and even then Delaware was the outlier...on the PA side of the line, but still a Slave State until the Civil War.

Mason
Yeah, that's what I meant, the boundary dispute. But regardless of this issue, why was the territory 15 miles from the southern-most building in Philadelphia (you know, the South), considered to be "the South"?? Your last paragraph says that line wasn't due to slaves, I mean, I just don't get what made them say "ok, everything below the Keystone State is Southern".

Old 12-30-2011, 08:33 AM

And what the HELL is Delaware??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland