Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,087,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The dialect region expands as you head west, but not all of the states in contention on the east coast for the "Mid-Atlantic" label would fit.
I wouldn't include Kentucky or West Virginia simply because they're not on the Atlantic. Kentucky isn't even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 AM

797 posts, read 1,425,769 times
Never really understood why people sometime includes WV as the mid atlantic because its not on the coast nor does any body of water in WV lead into a bay within the state, although technically Penn is not on the coast either but the Del river runs through it and into the coast.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 PM

389 posts, read 795,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Never really understood why people sometime includes WV as the mid atlantic because its not on the coast nor does any body of water in WV lead into a bay within the state, although technically Penn is not on the coast either but the Del river runs through it and into the coast.
That's not true. Almost all of Eastern WV is in the Chesapeake Bay watershed.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 PM

797 posts, read 1,425,769 times
You are absolutly correct i just seen where there are drainage basins that go into the bay from W.V, my apologies.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,715,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Umm...

Just how South North Carolina remains is very much in contention. They have a thread just like this one in the North Carolina forums...

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ern-state.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Well that's interesting. To me it seems pretty clear which regions those states belong to, especially NC. The border states, aren't as clear cut. I would say Pennsylvania is Midwestern long before I would call it Southern. Of course it isn't geographically speaking, but the Western PA "Rust Belt" (another "unofficial region) stretches into the state from the MidWest.

As for the "Mid-Atlantic," these states are almost always included: DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ. Maryland/Delaware seems to be the quintessential Mid-Atlantic.

-Virginia (specifically Northern Virginia) is frequently included when the DC Area is involved.

-West Virginia might be thrown in since its unique "Appalachian" culture doesn't fit in with the North or South, and the Mid-Atlantic isn't precise anyway.

-New York is included because it's definitely not New England (perhaps the only undisputed region of the country), and downstate and Long Island is similar to Northern New Jersey (and vise versa).

Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM

581 posts, read 966,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
As for the "Mid-Atlantic," these states are almost always included: DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ. Maryland/Delaware seems to be the quintessential Mid-Atlantic.
Everyone I know will invariably say that Mid-Atlantic means MD, DE, VA. The Chesapeake and Delmarva is the essential Mid-Atlantic. When I mentioned PA or NJ in the Mid-Atlantic people looked at me like I was absolutely insane.
Much of the reason why is that driving from PA to MD, the difference is incredible. Rural MD, rural VA border, no difference. DC-area MD, DC-area Va border, no difference. Nobody I know in MD considers PA Mid-Atlantic and nobody I know in PA does either.

Im in MD now and I figured I would ask some folks. Everyone, when asked what region MD was in, said Mid-Atlantic without a pause. When asked what Mid-Atlantic meant, they said Delaware, Virginia, Maryland, without pausing.

From asking, this is what seems to pop into people's heads.

The South and Midwest seemed pretty solid. (Though Ohio seems to be a point of confusion for some).
The Mid-Atlantic was solidly agreed on.
New England, agreed on.
West Virginia was nearly invariably named Appalachian, and PA called a cross between "North" and Appalachian.
There was also recognition of a region that was northern but not New England, as shown in green.

Concerning MD being Southern, though:
I crossed the Mason-Dixon line yesterday. The very first thing I saw:

Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
What does Waffle House have to do with being Southern? Do you know that Waffle Houses are in 25 states now including Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan. Are they all Southern too? Waffle House is a national chain and growing bigger every year.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM

581 posts, read 966,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
What does Waffle House have to do with being Southern? Do you know that Waffle Houses are in 25 states now including Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan. Are they all Southern too? Waffle House is a national chain and growing bigger every year.
They're stereotypically southern. And you have to admit, they're most common in the south. In fact, earlier in one of these "Maryland Southern?" threads people were using the lack of Waffle Houses in Maryland to prove that it's not southern. Maryland is actually lacking in Waffle Houses. I think Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Missouri all have more. But due to their being stereotypically southern one being right on the southern side Mason-Dixon line was a bit funny. The northern side of the line is marked with Sheetz.

I'm not using the Waffle House as serious evidence.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 05-12-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
The northern side of the line is marked with Sheetz.
We have 5 Sheetzes here.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM

10,092 posts, read 9,917,697 times
Quote:
Everyone I know will invariably say that Mid-Atlantic means MD, DE, VA. The Chesapeake and Delmarva is the essential Mid-Atlantic. When I mentioned PA or NJ in the Mid-Atlantic people looked at me like I was absolutely insane.
Much of the reason why is that driving from PA to MD, the difference is incredible. Rural MD, rural VA border, no difference. DC-area MD, DC-area Va border, no difference. Nobody I know in MD considers PA Mid-Atlantic and nobody I know in PA does either.

Im in MD now and I figured I would ask some folks. Everyone, when asked what region MD was in, said Mid-Atlantic without a pause. When asked what Mid-Atlantic meant, they said Delaware, Virginia, Maryland, without pausing.

From asking, this is what seems to pop into people's heads.

The South and Midwest seemed pretty solid. (Though Ohio seems to be a point of confusion for some).
The Mid-Atlantic was solidly agreed on.
New England, agreed on.
West Virginia was nearly invariably named Appalachian, and PA called a cross between "North" and Appalachian.
There was also recognition of a region that was northern but not New England, as shown in green.

The last Waffle House I've been to was in Lancaster, PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland