Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:57 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

I created a Map with all the proposed and planned Transitways and Railways...it might not work due to issues with google lately...

Western Maryland Long Term Rail / Transit Plans / Proposals - 2040 plan - Google Maps

Planned Railways / Transitways

MTA Baltimore Red line
MTA Purple light Rail line
Corridor Cities Transitway

MARC LA Plata line
MARC Penn line extension to Newark,DE

Proposed Railways / Transitways

MTA Baltimore Subway Extension to White Marsh
MTA Baltimore Light Rail Townson line
MTA Baltimore Red line extension to Edgemere
MTA Tram-Train Annapolis line

MARC Harrisburg line
MARC Hagerstown / Westminster line

Annapolis BRT
White Plains BRT

Fantasy Railways / Transitways

Fredrick Trams / Streetcars
Annapolis Trams / Streetcars

Western Maryland

Current system size : 187 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 117
added miles of Electrified Rail : 103

MARC Train
Daily Ridership : 33,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 250,000)
System size : 187 mi
Stations : 43
Future Upgrades / Expansions : LA plata line and Extension of the Brunswick line to Hagerstown , and Penn line Service to Wilmington , Warminster branch and Harrisburg lines

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-11-2011 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
I'd replace the Hagerstown-Baltimore connection with a Frederick-Baltimore connection instead. I'd also extend the MARC Camden Line to Bayview. I'd also have a light rail running from Columbia towards Baltimore. And the MARC Penn line, I'd extend that towards Wilmington.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
If the trains doesn't cross west of Sideling Hill it is isn't a "Western Maryland" anything. Just more suburban/exurban lines. When the supertrain makes it out to Cumberland, feel free to call it the "Western Maryland extension."

Old 05-04-2011, 12:18 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
That would be the old list.....i found the correct list on another blog. Does Hagerstown count as Western Maryland , and Eastern Maryland is the East shore of MD.

Western Maryland Long Term Rail / Transit Plans / Proposals - 2040 plan - Google Maps

Eastern Shore of Maryland and Delaware 2050 Rail / Transit Plans - Google Maps

Maryland / Delaware

MARC / Deldot

Projects to be completed by 2030

Upgrading of the Brunswick & Camden lines
Overhaul of the Penn line
Refurbished Penn Station
Added Capacity to Union Station
Downstate line
Hagerstown extension of the Brunswick line
MTA Red line
MTA Purple line
MTA Corridor Cities Transitway
Replacement of MTA buses and LRT cars
Replacement of HHP-8
Upgrading of Camden line
MARC Westminster Branch
Downstate corridor
Northwest Intercity line
Downstate Salisbury branch
LA Plata line
Overhauled Brunswick line
Upgraded Penn line

Large Scale Rail Projects

Project : Downstate lines
Number of lines : 2
Stations : 16
Type : Trunk line
Projected Ridership : 50,000

Project : Cambridge branch
Number of lines : 1
Stations : 4
Type : Light Passenger Rail / Freight corridor
Projected Ridership : 3,000

Project : Eastern shore branch
Stations : 8
Type : Light Passenger Rail / Freight Corridor
Projected Ridership : 5,000

Project : Centerville Branch
Stations : 3
Type : Light Passenger rail / Freight corridor
Projected Ridership : 1,000

Project : Chestertown branch
Stations : 3
Type : light passenger / freight corridor
Projected Ridership : 2,000

Project : Northwest line
Stations : 15
Projected Ridership : 45,000

Project : Westminster branch
Projected Ridership : 5,000

Project : Extension of the Penn line to Newark,DE
Projected Ridership : 20,000

Project : Severn line
Stations : 11
Projected Ridership : 27,000

Project : Bowie line
Stations : 7
Projected Ridership : 14,000

Project : Extension of the Brunswick line to Hagerstown
Stations : 5
Projected Ridership : 11,000

Project : Baltimore Red line
Stations : 20
Projected Ridership : 60,000

Project : MTA Purple line
Stations : 21
Projected Ridership : 65,000

Project : MTA Corridor cities Transitway
Number of lines : 1-2
Stations : ?
Projected Ridership : ?

Project : MTA Yellow line
Stations : 46
Projected Ridership : 80,000

Project : MTA Green line
Stations : 7
Projected Ridership : 50,000

Current Regional Rail / Light Rail System

Line : Penn line
Length : 87 mi
Stations : 13
Ridership : 20,000 > Projected 2020 Ridership : 40,000

Line : Camden line
Length : 35 mi
Stations : 12
Ridership : 5,400 > Projected 2020 Ridership : 8,000

Line : Brunswick line
Length : 82 mi
Stations : 19
Ridership : 7,800 > Projected 2020 Ridership : 15,000

Line : MTA Baltimore Light Rail
Length : 30 mi
Stations : 33
Ridership : 35,000 > Projected 2020 Ridership : 60,000

Line : Baltimore Subway
Length : 15 mi
Stations : 14
Ridership : 57,000 > Projected 2020 Ridership : 63,000

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-11-2011 at 09:39 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Nope, Hagerstown is not Western Maryland. It is closer in milage to Rockville than Cumberland, is a viable commuter hub because of this proximity and is surrounded by miles and miles of fertile farm land. Cumberland is another 65 miles west, completely surrounded by forested mountains and is for better or worse, on an island economically because it is out of range of all but the most "extreme commuters"

Those Google maps show what I am saying perfectly. Check out the similarity in land use in Washington, Frederick, Carroll, Harford, and Northern Baltimore County. All have lots of useable farm land, with development scattered throughout. Also, this part of Maryland has very characteristic small towns that are short perpendicular rows of houses located at important crossroads. Libertytown, Emmittsburg, Keymar, Taneytown, Boonesboro, Sharpsburg, Smithsburg, Mt. Pleasant, Union Bridge, and so on. The mountains in this region flank the large populated valleys.

The map shows something very different west of Sideling Hill in Allegany County and Garrett County, we are in the heart of the mountains, with steep ridges and narrow valleys, the dominant color is dark green because about 70% of the land is forest. Farms are restricted to the narrow valleys and towns contain scattered structures on slopes and hill sides because of the lack of flat land. Check out google maps for places like Oldtown and Flintstone for rural communites, and places like Lonaconing and Barton for mining towns.

Everyone out my way knows the difference. The moniker "Western Maryland" is often confused by outsiders as most people in our state have never ventured much past Frederick or Hagerstown. We are our our own region, not to be confused with these places.

Last edited by westsideboy; 05-04-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Nope, Hagerstown is not Western Maryland. It is closer in milage to Rockville than Cumberland, is a viable commuter hub because of this proximity and is surrounded by miles and miles of fertile farm land. Cumberland is another 65 miles west, completely surrounded by forested mountains and is for better or worse, on an island economically because it is out of range of all but the most "extreme commuters"

Those Google maps show what I am saying perfectly. Check out the similarity in land use in Washington, Frederick, Carroll, Harford, and Northern Baltimore County. All have lots of useable farm land, with development scattered throughout. Also, this part of Maryland has very characteristic small towns that are short perpendicular rows of houses located at important crossroads. Libertytown, Emmittsburg, Keymar, Taneytown, Boonesboro, Sharpsburg, Smithsburg, Mt. Pleasant, Union Bridge, and so on. The mountains in this region flank the large populated valleys.

The map shows something very different west of Sideling Hill in Allegany County and Garrett County, we are in the heart of the mountains, with steep ridges and narrow valleys, the dominant color is dark green because about 70% of the land is forest. Farms are restricted to the narrow valleys and towns contain scattered structures on slopes and hill sides because of the lack of flat land. Check out google maps for places like Oldtown and Flintstone for rural communites, and places like Lonaconing and Barton for mining towns.

Everyone out my way knows the difference. The moniker "Western Maryland" is often confused by outsiders as most people in our state have never ventured much past Frederick or Hagerstown. We are our our own region, not to be confused with these places.
true none of these proposals are near western maryland but western maryland would do better with trains going to cumberland than hagerstown. Hagerstown already has 991 knowing MTA they will probably have limited rush hr only service thats useless to visitors that would be a waste. The way I see it go full-time or dont bother!!!!! thats how I view maryland rail proposals If the service isnt going to be frequent dont bother offering it!!!! as it would be cheaper to enhance commuter buses then see if demand is there for trains like 991 for example shows that there is a need for train service to baltimore from hagerstown due to I70 traffic and 991 is from DC however untill crippling traffic hits carroll I dont see rail service happening

Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Amtrack comes through Cumberland and makes a stop, and of course we are a major CSX hub. It would be a long way for a commuter train unless they are Euro or Japanese style super trains.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
mixed trains

Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If the trains doesn't cross west of Sideling Hill it is isn't a "Western Maryland" anything. Just more suburban/exurban lines. When the supertrain makes it out to Cumberland, feel free to call it the "Western Maryland extension."
This past weekend I went to Baltimore for the Young Democrats Mid-Atlantic Region convention. Talking with the President of YD Maryland, she told me that the western Maryland chapters weren't there because they had a western Maryland summit or something like that over the weekend. I asked her which chapters she was referring to and she told me Allegany, Washington, Frederick, etc. I stopped her there and said, "Frederick is not Western Maryland." She replied, "I think the question is whether or not Carroll County is Western Maryland." I immediately thought, "Wow, are you serious? When was the last time you looked at a map?"

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
She replied, "I think the question is whether or not Carroll County is Western Maryland." I immediately thought, "Wow, are you serious? When was the last time you looked at a map?"
Thank the founders of McDaniel (nee Western Maryland) College for that bit of confusion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland