U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:07 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,267,474 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in DC. we'll be hopefully moving next month. He wants to find a house for $150 -200k in a safe neighborhood. I KEEP telling him that it's not possible. This is one of the most expensive areas of the country and you either can pay $150 and live in a very very bad part of town or pay more and live in a decent area. We're having tons of arguments over this b/c he refuses to understand that the prices are NOT like they are here in El Paso Texas on the border.

We want to move to Columbia MD and he can commute from there. He wants to find a detached house w/ 3 or more bedrooms, 1 1/2 or more bathrooms, dining room, finished basement, backyard for under $250k!!!

seriously.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 PM

551 posts, read 1,788,451 times
One thing you could do is go to REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and search in Columbia, Maryland for single family homes with 3+ bedroom for 150-250 thousand dollars. I just did this and there is nothing. Maybe, though, for the sake of your relationship you don't want to prolong this argument and make a big thing out of it. It is a pretty long commute from Columbia to DC also, which will prove expensive. Maybe your husband could get more involved in the process himself so this won't be a source of contention between the two of you. Perhaps he could ask his new employer to recommend a relocation realtor to help you find a place.
Another thing to consider is that the DC are is very diverse with a lot of suburbs in both Maryland and Virginia. An important thing to consider is exactly where his job is and what the commute would be like. I would strongly recommend, if it is at all possible, that you rent first for 6 months or a year to get familiar with the area and then you both will have a better idea of where you would like to live and whether it is affordable for you.
Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2007, 03:28 PM

102 posts, read 449,762 times
Yes I'd recommend to rent also to find out where you want to live...We rent a 2bed/2bath in Rockville easy access to Metro for $1500 a month. Newer nicer 2/2 go for @2k a month. 3-4bed 1-2bath homes around here Twinbrook neighborhood @ 350k for a REALLY BIG fixer-upper to @ 450-500k for something livable.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:32 PM

102 posts, read 449,762 times
You probably if you can live near a metro trust me you do not want to drive in commuting times unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority metro

Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,962,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly View Post
My husband has accepted a job in DC. we'll be hopefully moving next month. He wants to find a house for $150 -200k in a safe neighborhood. I KEEP telling him that it's not possible. This is one of the most expensive areas of the country and you either can pay $150 and live in a very very bad part of town or pay more and live in a decent area. We're having tons of arguments over this b/c he refuses to understand that the prices are NOT like they are here in El Paso Texas on the border.

We want to move to Columbia MD and he can commute from there. He wants to find a detached house w/ 3 or more bedrooms, 1 1/2 or more bathrooms, dining room, finished basement, backyard for under $250k!!!

seriously.

1. He needs to go online and do the research and cost of living adjustment
2. When he starts pounding the pavement reality will start to creep in. I wouldn't argue over it....

Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,267,474 times
Thank you for the answers. I guess, reading your answers, that it's not helping that I'm arguing back.

I REALLY had my heart set on Columbia b/c of the diversity, school district and simply falling in love w/ all the pictures I've seen of it. I REALLY don't want to raise the kids in a place that's too big (over 150k people) but not too small either (less than 35k). He doesn't mind the commute as long as he gets there by 8. He'll be working in L'Enfant plaza. I ABSOLUTELY refuse to live in DC. no way. No offense to those who do. I've been there tons of times and it's just not me.

Viginia is nice, but I like Maryland better. At least all the times I've been to MD I do.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:54 PM

62 posts, read 244,988 times
Quote:
Thank you for the answers. I guess, reading your answers, that it's not helping that I'm arguing back.

I REALLY had my heart set on Columbia b/c of the diversity, school district and simply falling in love w/ all the pictures I've seen of it. I REALLY don't want to raise the kids in a place that's too big (over 150k people) but not too small either (less than 35k). He doesn't mind the commute as long as he gets there by 8. He'll be working in L'Enfant plaza. I ABSOLUTELY refuse to live in DC. no way. No offense to those who do. I've been there tons of times and it's just not me.

Viginia is nice, but I like Maryland better. At least all the times I've been to MD I do.
Calmly tell him, just once, that it may be possible to find a semi-decent house/neighborhood for the prices he's suggesting, but it won't stay even tolerable for very long and you'll probably have to end up moving every few to several years.

Last edited by NoHometoCallMyOwn; 07-22-2007 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 05:10 PM

121 posts, read 498,897 times
150-200k in a safe neighborhood? It can be done, however, you will probably live in a sketchy neighborhood along with that nice home(albeit you'll have to fix up to look nice). What I mean is all the homes won't look great in your area. Your neighbors home may look like fixer uppers!! It's funny you mentioned housing in Maryland because I was just looking for somewhere for my mom in Prince Georges County. She also, works in DC and she seems to be insistent on moving in the Upper Marlboro,Mitchelville, Largo, Bowie area. You and your husband might want to check that area as well as Ft. Washington. Expensive? Yes, but, your commute will be alot shorter. On the other hand, Sundaze gave you the best advice because buying a house that you don't like is an expensive endevour. Trust me I know from personal experience. To repeat Sundaze, rent closer to DC and sightsee maryland areas then make that hefty purchase once you find an ideal area.

Good Luck

Last edited by GypsySunworshiper; 07-22-2007 at 05:20 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,962,018 times
Quote:

Columbia is great and I wouldn't give up yet..You can find a nice townhome or Condo, just depends on what your willing to settle for...

Old 07-22-2007, 08:34 PM

551 posts, read 1,788,451 times
Columbia is nice, but it would be a very long and difficult commute to L'Enfant Plaza. That would be another reason to try renting a bit before committing to a place. The traffic around here can be very bad. L'Enfant Plaza has its own metro stop so if you could be near a metro station it would make life much easier. Just a thought. I have lived in Montgomery County, Md my entire adult life and the traffic keeps getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland