Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 03:41 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

I always hear Baltimore and PG compared as being similar.

If we are to take those two areas...what are similarities/differences...in reference to people, attitudes, blacks as well as whites, and whatever else you want to add...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 AM

38 posts, read 96,311 times
Natives in PG aren't that much different from DC natives, heck a good % of PG county's population are ex-DC residents. That being said there are a lot more differences between PG and Baltimore than common ground and its too many to name.

Similarities?

Both have very dangerous areas, both have corrupt politicians, schools are terrible in both.
Black people in both places seem to have a rough edge about them.

People think PG is all rich but its really not, not one bit.
Take away the portion outside the beltway and PG wouldn't be the richest black county.

Now when it comes to native whites most of them are down to earth and friendly.
However there is racial tension in Laurel, Beltsville, Greenbelt and any other area that was once majority white.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:18 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
The prison system has to segregate Baltimore and PG/DC inmates from each other. Constant fights and turmoil otherwise. This extends to juvenile facilities. On state college campuses the same things happen.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 AM

Yeah its pretty bad.
There are constant fights at Morgan State, Coppin, Bowie, UMES......

Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Both got the two most ghetto malls in America as well, Mondawmin mall in Baltimore and Iverson mall in PG.
So thats another similarity.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
How about some of the differences? People-wise, that is. They do tend to be grouped together often as similar.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCpictures View Post
Both got the two most ghetto malls in America as well, Mondawmin mall in Baltimore and Iverson mall in PG.
So thats another similarity.
lol! Truer words have not been spoken on this forum. That mall is the definition of ghetto!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How about some of the differences? People-wise, that is. They do tend to be grouped together often as similar.
I don't know about nowadays, but the way people dress are different.

PG people tend to dress more DCish, with a lot of black, North Face coats, Nike boots and black fitted hats.

Baltimore was known for guys wearing the extra long shirts and some other stuff.... that I just can't think of. To be honest, I'm not even sure if you can say Baltimore has a style of dressing because a lot of them just dress weird. I remember seeing one guy one time in Baltimore had on brown sweat pants and some jean shorts over top of them. That's the kind of stuff that just makes me scratch my head. Perhaps someone from B-more can give a better insight on what they wear up there than me.

They also have different accents up there in B-more compared to PG. In PG, we have tendency not to pronounce certain letters in a word for example, everybody is pronounced errybody. We don't say Maryland, we say Merrlyn. In B-more, they don't say Baltimore, they say Boddimore (or something like that). They have a very distinct way of saying things up there, while PG accents is more laid back and emphasizes certain letters like 'r'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland