Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,445 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I found this through google and am hoping I can get some great information from you guys. I grew up around Sacramento, CA and live in Chico, CA now. My gf's family is 99% moving to Havre De Grace Maryland for their job this year and we are most likely moving with them, however I have no idea about the area at all and wasn't sure where to look. We are in our mid 20's, I am still working on my engineering degree in college, and work at an online company called build.com. I was hoping some of you could guide me to some sites with good information, or give me a run down of what the neighboring cities are like and what I should look at? Her family would probably end up living in Havre De Grace but me and my girlfriend might not depending on whats around as far as opportunity, etc. I noticed the closest college is about 30 minutes away? Any particular place that is good for jobs in general? Any certain areas that are safer than others? I'm used to a generally safe area here in Chico, however even the safest towns have their areas.

Sorry for the long post and thanks a ton for any information any of you can give me!

-Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p413943 View Post
Hey everyone, I found this through google and am hoping I can get some great information from you guys. I grew up around Sacramento, CA and live in Chico, CA now. My gf's family is 99% moving to Havre De Grace Maryland for their job this year and we are most likely moving with them, however I have no idea about the area at all and wasn't sure where to look. We are in our mid 20's, I am still working on my engineering degree in college, and work at an online company called build.com. I was hoping some of you could guide me to some sites with good information, or give me a run down of what the neighboring cities are like and what I should look at? Her family would probably end up living in Havre De Grace but me and my girlfriend might not depending on whats around as far as opportunity, etc. I noticed the closest college is about 30 minutes away? Any particular place that is good for jobs in general? Any certain areas that are safer than others? I'm used to a generally safe area here in Chico, however even the safest towns have their areas.

Sorry for the long post and thanks a ton for any information any of you can give me!

-Ben
aberdeen baltimore and try wilmington,DE or Washington,DC to get there you can use limited MARC service to aberdeen or baltimore or even DC. Wilmington,DE drive. everything else requires ya to drive. transit in maryland SUCKS BALLS

Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
aberdeen baltimore and try wilmington,DE or Washington,DC to get there you can use limited MARC service to aberdeen or baltimore or even DC. Wilmington,DE drive. everything else requires ya to drive. transit in maryland SUCKS BALLS

I haven't checked it out but I assume DC is expensive? and I read that Baltimore had a reallly high crime rate, is that true? Or does it just have a crappy area that kills those statistics? Also, what is MARC? Transit system or something? Sorry, I know nothing of the area haha, and that is funny, I assumed since havre de grace was right off a few local freeways that transit was good, but like I said, i know nothing of the area. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I haven't checked it out but I assume DC is expensive? and I read that Baltimore had a reallly high crime rate, is that true? Or does it just have a crappy area that kills those statistics? Also, what is MARC? Transit system or something? Sorry, I know nothing of the area haha, and that is funny, I assumed since havre de grace was right off a few local freeways that transit was good, but like I said, i know nothing of the area. Thanks for the reply!
MARC is the train network in maryland there is no weekend service. And it's monthly lets you use baltimore buses at no extra charge maybe even DC too but check to make sure. Local transit is average but won't leave the county!!! ya need MARC for that. Baltimore is a crappy city with many crappy areas and a few good ones. I am however amazed that a city with less than 1 million ppl can even have rtes that run 24/7!!!! while a county with more ppl has an inferior system slightly. I saw ppl buying drugs on the street at a baltimore light rail station cherry hill to be exact. Baltimore's other nickname is drug addict city!!!! Even a guy like me who loves transit can't recommend using baltimore buses due to a high chance of meeting a guy or girl that can smell up the whole bus. They smoke more than NY!!!!!! Not bum bad but MOST PPL THERE SMOKE SO MUCH U CAN SMELL EM FROM 60 FEET AWAY!!!!!!! I even see pregnants who smoke unforgivable!!!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
MARC is the train network in maryland there is no weekend service. And it's monthly lets you use baltimore buses at no extra charge maybe even DC too but check to make sure. Local transit is average but won't leave the county!!! ya need MARC for that. Baltimore is a crappy city with many crappy areas and a few good ones. I am however amazed that a city with less than 1 million ppl can even have rtes that run 24/7!!!! while a county with more ppl has an inferior system slightly. I saw ppl buying drugs on the street at a baltimore light rail station cherry hill to be exact. Baltimore's other nickname is drug addict city!!!! Even a guy like me who loves transit can't recommend using baltimore buses due to a high chance of meeting a guy or girl that can smell up the whole bus. They smoke more than NY!!!!!! Not bum bad but MOST PPL THERE SMOKE SO MUCH U CAN SMELL EM FROM 60 FEET AWAY!!!!!!! I even see pregnants who smoke unforgivable!!!!!
Yeah my friends mom that is moving talked about how when they visited baltimore was so beautiful and yada yada, and how she hears the school system is second to none and all this, but I kinda figured half of that was just her trying to convince herself that its going to be great, no doubt baltimore does look like a great city, but a crime rate triple that of LA, and like, 6 times that of New York? That has me leary, cuz LA isnt a fun place to be when youre in certain neighborhoods, granted most of its fine, the parts that arent fine definitely cancel those parts out, and to imagine that, but triple? Scary

Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah my friends mom that is moving talked about how when they visited baltimore was so beautiful and yada yada, and how she hears the school system is second to none and all this, but I kinda figured half of that was just her trying to convince herself that its going to be great, no doubt baltimore does look like a great city, but a crime rate triple that of LA, and like, 6 times that of New York? That has me leary, cuz LA isnt a fun place to be when youre in certain neighborhoods, granted most of its fine, the parts that arent fine definitely cancel those parts out, and to imagine that, but triple? Scary
there are ways to manipulate baltimore to enjoy all baltimore has to offer while avoiding crime and the bad parts but that takes skill. I cant help with that though

Old 04-06-2011, 03:52 PM

16 posts, read 52,145 times
Havre de Grace is in Harford County, about an hour away from Baltimore. If you can picture it looks like an old fishing town...There are alot of historic houses/buildings, has a "main street" with some nice bars and pubs and really nice seafood restaurants, has a beautiful park right on the water with a mini boardwalk. The nicer part of the town are people who have bought their houses and lived their for a long time. But the town also has its bad parts, there are alot of low-income areas, so much so that the schools are a title 1 school (60% of the students qualify for free or reduced lunches). There is crime but not as much as other areas of Harford County. Its no where near Baltimore's crime rate, and you aren't close enough to Baltimore to have to worry about it. I've lived in Harford County my whole life so I'm pretty familiar with the area. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland