Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 22,934 times

Advertisements

Ok we're relocating back to MD and both of us will be working in the AJ/Ft. Meade area. However in 3-4 years I will be in DC. We are used to new construction and of course want the schools and the community feel/amenities on top of affordability. I like Crofton, Severna Park, and Ellicott City but I can't seem to find new/newer/updated for the price and if one pops up, it goes quick and being out of town makes it hard to jump on listings that just hit the market. I would be spending $$ but still have to spend more $$ to update the house. We really liked the community feel/amenities at the Villages of Urbana/Highlands of Urbana and can buy a resale/build new for around the same price or maybe even less. Anyone on the forum live in those Urbana Communities - comments? Anyone who commutes from Urbana to AJ/Ft. Meade or DC have any perspective on the drive? Is it worth living in that community or would I wish I was living closer in an unhappy ugly old home with likely maintenance? I heard part of the InterCounty Connector is open...will that help my commuted? For those that make the trek down 270 into DC - I've read it's a parking lot? Is that south in the morning and north in the afternoon - better times to commuted to avoid that? For those in Villages of Urbana/Highlands of Urbana - any comments on the concerns about spillage from Ft. Detrick into the sewer/water? Thanks much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy5 View Post
Ok we're relocating back to MD and both of us will be working in the AJ/Ft. Meade area. However in 3-4 years I will be in DC. We are used to new construction and of course want the schools and the community feel/amenities on top of affordability. I like Crofton, Severna Park, and Ellicott City but I can't seem to find new/newer/updated for the price and if one pops up, it goes quick and being out of town makes it hard to jump on listings that just hit the market. I would be spending $$ but still have to spend more $$ to update the house. We really liked the community feel/amenities at the Villages of Urbana/Highlands of Urbana and can buy a resale/build new for around the same price or maybe even less. Anyone on the forum live in those Urbana Communities - comments? Anyone who commutes from Urbana to AJ/Ft. Meade or DC have any perspective on the drive? Is it worth living in that community or would I wish I was living closer in an unhappy ugly old home with likely maintenance? I heard part of the InterCounty Connector is open...will that help my commuted? For those that make the trek down 270 into DC - I've read it's a parking lot? Is that south in the morning and north in the afternoon - better times to commuted to avoid that? For those in Villages of Urbana/Highlands of Urbana - any comments on the concerns about spillage from Ft. Detrick into the sewer/water? Thanks much!!!
YOU ARE LUCKY!!!! Do tha dance they just released a new bus route that does just that!!!! take MTA 991 to shady grove then transfer to MTA 202 then fort meade!!!! 2 buses that's it !!! cheaper too. At rush hour u have to use these buses. O and they are express!!! too. 202 is new enjoy. 991 you get from monocracy MARC. You would be better off living in federick or hagerstown where you can just bus it there then ya done!!!! If ya plan on partying then drive!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 PM

6 posts, read 22,934 times
Default MTA Bus

I'm not a big mass/public transportation person. Do these busses get full/standing room only? I see I can pick 991 from the Urbana Park and Ride and then get off at Shady Grove and take the 202. I'll have to check actual commute times and compare. Thanks for the info/tip!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:25 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
The faster way to Ft. Meade would be I-70 to Rt. 32. It would be about 45 minutes without traffic from Frederick (add up to 20 minutes depending on where you live in town), about an hour from Urbana. I don't think you would hit much gridlock on I-70 because you would be exiting before you got too close to Baltimore. Rt. 32 is only 2 lanes for about 1/2 your trip, so traffic may be an issue there.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy5 View Post
I'm not a big mass/public transportation person. Do these busses get full/standing room only? I see I can pick 991 from the Urbana Park and Ride and then get off at Shady Grove and take the 202. I'll have to check actual commute times and compare. Thanks for the info/tip!
I dont know if 991 stops in urbana but if ya found out it does then kudos to you. If 202 and 991 schedules work for you then it beats driving hands down due to lower cost and no tolls. And the buses are very fast too so they may arrive early as well. With the HOV lane the buses can even be immune to traffic. I dont know if ICC has HOV so check that. If the schedules dont work for you then just drive or try carpool but transit should be your first option before moving on to other modes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland