U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 AM

70 posts, read 119,972 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I grew up on the Eastern Shore and would love to move back to the area to be closer to family. However, it's been a very long time since I lived there and it seems to have grown up quite a bit.

My husband typically works from home, but has periods when he must be in downtown DC. We currently live in a far-flung suburb of Virginia near Dulles Airport and he takes the bus to get downtown. His commute time can be anywhere from 1.5 hours to over two hours each way.

So, I'm thinking if he's willing to put in that commute time when necessary, then perhaps we could consider relocating to the Eastern Shore? Home prices on Kent Island appear to be cheaper and lot sizes seem larger.

But he has serious reservations about the Bay Bridge and beach traffic in the summer on the Island. Plus, he feels taxes and energy costs will be significantly higher in Maryland.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have experience using the commuter bus from Kent Island? And what about the public schools? Are they any good? We have three young kids and need to take that into consideration.

Thanks for any feedback/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 09:51 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,839,981 times
I don't know what to tell you other then I'm thinking the same thing. I do live on the Eastern Shore and have previously worked in DC. It does take about 2 hours each way and the summer traffic is a killer. I'm thinking of working there again and seeing if I could have "off" hours so that I can maybe beat the traffic. It is alot cheaper on the Shores as far as cost of living. I brought a 2500 sq ft house close to the water that I couldn't even touch on the Western Shore.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback. That's so disappointing that the travel time is that long. That doesn't work in my favor to convince him to move...

Do you ever use the commuter bus from Kent Island? I'm wondering what that's like. My husband actually doesn't mind riding the DC commuter bus from our community here in NoVa; he uses the time to get more work done.

It's funny... One of the communities on KI was advertising that they're 40 minutes from DC. I was like, 'yeah, maybe if you're on a rocket'. Good grief...

Last edited by KatSRVA; 04-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: wanted to add something.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM

318 posts, read 642,236 times
I frequent the Bay Bridge a lot.....

At what times in the day will your husband be commuting on the Bridge?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:10 PM

Between 6 and 6:30 is when he typically leaves for work.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,435,553 times
yeah its called 950/922 MTA commuter THEY HAVE HOV TRAFFIC IMMUNITY

Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM

318 posts, read 642,236 times
6:00AM-6:30AM traffic is not bad at all no matter what time of the year, especially if you are traveling on the western bridge because it is 3 lanes. Getting home, is another story

Old 04-03-2011, 07:24 PM

I'll have to look into the commuter bus. I could drive to KI and then take the commuter bus. It's still going to be a long drive for me though since I'm in Dorchester County. I've thought about Philly since it's 90 miles away but doesn't seem like the pay is as good as DC.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,435,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I'll have to look into the commuter bus. I could drive to KI and then take the commuter bus. It's still going to be a long drive for me though since I'm in Dorchester County. I've thought about Philly since it's 90 miles away but doesn't seem like the pay is as good as DC.
if you were doing philly you would need to drive to delaware to dover use dart 301 to wilmington then SEPTA to philly OR there is a demand response bus that can do door to door service they are called Delmarva Community Services, Inc. Opening doors to independent living! (http://www.dcsdct.org/bus%20schedules.htm - broken link) they have ltd service but you may be able to manipulate the rtes to ur advantage good luck transit as you know SUCKS IN MARYLAND

Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
if you were doing philly you would need to drive to delaware to dover use dart 301 to wilmington then SEPTA to philly OR there is a demand response bus that can do door to door service they are called Delmarva Community Services, Inc. Opening doors to independent living! (http://www.dcsdct.org/bus%20schedules.htm - broken link) they have ltd service but you may be able to manipulate the rtes to ur advantage good luck transit as you know SUCKS IN MARYLAND
Well, with all that transferring it looks like it would be the same amount of time as going to DC.

I've looked at DE jobs and I don't think they're any high paying jobs there either. I work as a medical biller/collector and as soon as a medical facility opens up on the Shores, abiller's position is already taken. I'm beginning to think it's the people that were born and raised on the Shores that are getting the little bit of jobs that come here. Oh, well, I'll keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or