Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 AM

10,161 posts, read 15,860,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
what needs to be done to make transit usable for you where should new routes be placed???
1. Better punctuality. When I drive I know exactly when I'll get somewhere, harder when I took the DC metro and bus system some time ago especially with transfers.

2. Less crime - hard in Baltimore due to the geography of the city. ANY route going from the suburbs into the downtown goes through ghetto areas, which means ghetto stops, since downtown Baltimore is completely surrounded by urban blight. In DC one can go from Rockville to Northwest Washington without passing through any ghetto stops (though the eastern half like the Green Line is very ghetto and feels unsafe to me).

Ovearll though I just like the freedom of my car. Plus I rather live someplace far from the city where there's no public transport and lower density. But if gas goes above $6.00 a gallon I'll probaly look into mass transit options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,945,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
1. Better punctuality. When I drive I know exactly when I'll get somewhere, harder when I took the DC metro and bus system some time ago especially with transfers.

2. Less crime - hard in Baltimore due to the geography of the city. ANY route going from the suburbs into the downtown goes through ghetto areas, which means ghetto stops, since downtown Baltimore is completely surrounded by urban blight. In DC one can go from Rockville to Northwest Washington without passing through any ghetto stops (though the eastern half like the Green Line is very ghetto and feels unsafe to me).

Ovearll though I just like the freedom of my car. Plus I rather live someplace far from the city where there's no public transport and lower density. But if gas goes above $6.00 a gallon I'll probaly look into mass transit options.
I heard the DC bus system is better than baltimore. Also by suburban bus to baltimore do you mean the commuter buses??? the triple digit ones??? cause those 310/320 and the 400 and 900 series rtes have NO ghetto stops they only serve downtown baltimore. If u are referring to anne arundel then get to light rail. And downtown DC for 900 series

Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 PM

10,161 posts, read 15,860,831 times
Quote:
I heard the DC bus system is better than baltimore. Also by suburban bus to baltimore do you mean the commuter buses??? the triple digit ones??? cause those 310/320 and the 400 and 900 series rtes have NO ghetto stops they only serve downtown baltimore. If u are referring to anne arundel then get to light rail. And downtown DC for 900 series
I wasn't thinking of the commuter buses. More of the Light Rail, the Baltimore Metro subway, and the MTA local buses, like the ones that link Port Covington, Edmonton Village, Mondawmin, etc. For example, to get from Hunt Valley or Linthicum to downtown Baltimore on the Light Rail, you mass through dicey areas in the northwest and south sides of the city like Westport or Baltimore Highlands which are dangerous. If they were build a new light rail line to Catonsville (I don't they don't actually) that would go through the blighted Route 40 corridor in West Baltimore. To get from Owings Mills to downtown you have to go through all those stops in northwest Baltimore.

I have a friend whose family lived along Liberty Heights back when it was a Jewish neighborhood and much nicer. They tell me its all messed up now with gangsters everywhere and the Jews forced to move out to the suburbs because of crime and gangs. Like so many Americans from everywhere the good ol days were better.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I wasn't thinking of the commuter buses. More of the Light Rail, the Baltimore Metro subway, and the MTA local buses, like the ones that link Port Covington, Edmonton Village, Mondawmin, etc. For example, to get from Hunt Valley or Linthicum to downtown Baltimore on the Light Rail, you mass through dicey areas in the northwest and south sides of the city like Westport or Baltimore Highlands which are dangerous. If they were build a new light rail line to Catonsville (I don't they don't actually) that would go through the blighted Route 40 corridor in West Baltimore. To get from Owings Mills to downtown you have to go through all those stops in northwest Baltimore.

I have a friend whose family lived along Liberty Heights back when it was a Jewish neighborhood and much nicer. They tell me its all messed up now with gangsters everywhere and the Jews forced to move out to the suburbs because of crime and gangs. Like so many Americans from everywhere the good ol days were better.
good news the new 99 express rte will go from old court to BWI with stops at security mall and university of baltimore sadly its only rush hour here is the detailed link June 2011 proposed schedule changes (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/bus/schedule/June_2011_schedule_change.cfm - broken link)
99 uses 695. Most of my bus improvements involved the 3 digit bus lines like 150 and 901 ect

if the new rte enters service you will be able to bypass those bad parts by using 99 or 77 to security mall then get QB40 heck why not use 77

Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,485,319 times
Quote:
good news the new 99 express rte will go from old court to BWI with stops at security mall and university of baltimore sadly its only rush hour here is the detailed link June 2011 proposed schedule changes (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/bus/schedule/June_2011_schedule_change.cfm - broken link)
99 uses 695. Most of my bus improvements involved the 3 digit bus lines like 150 and 901 ect

if the new rte enters service you will be able to bypass those bad parts by using 99 or 77 to security mall then get QB40 heck why not use 77
A bus that runs on the beltway. I'll be damned, I never thought I'd see it.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
A bus that runs on the beltway. I'll be damned, I never thought I'd see it.
and thats only the beginning!!! However I dont know if they will try to unify their statewide network to be more like NJ where local rtes run in baltimore and carrol and anne arundel and regional rtes run everywhere else. Then another suburban network for the beach areas near ocean city,MD similar to NJT's layout. I made a proposal that would unify all MD transit systems except montgomery's ride-on well most of it. A few rtes they should extend and prince georges the bus gets slight expansion while commuter buses become zone based regional rtes with local and express segments and some hubs to facilitate transfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland