Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:55 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I am aware of the history - The National Park Act was created in 1916. That doesn't negate the fact that the east coast lacks much untouched land for public use regardless. Sorry.

Also, to the other poster who said that if a piece of land is run by the national park service it is like a NP. This is very far from reality. You should visit some truly designated NP's. The NP service manages MANY different types of land designations......National Monuments, National Historic sites (of which the east coast has MANY beautiful ones), etc.....

Source: The NPS oversee 394 units, of which 58 are designated national parks : National Park Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, and btw. The east coast has 8 NP out of 58 in the entire USA. 3 of which are in FL.

So basically you're complaining just to hear yourself complain. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:27 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
IAlso, to the other poster who said that if a piece of land is run by the national park service it is like a NP. This is very far from reality. You should visit some truly designated NP's. The NP service manages MANY different types of land designations......National Monuments, National Historic sites (of which the east coast has MANY beautiful ones), etc.....
We're not talking about national monuments or historic sites in this thread.

A "National Seashore" is preserved, undeveloped land. It's equivalent to a "National Park", only on the ocean. It's semantics.

And just because a place is called something other than a "National Park" does not make it somehow inferior. On the east coast, a few of the most undeveloped spaces are designated as "Wildlife Refuges". That doesn't make them inferior to a "truly designated" National Park. You have to look beyond the name.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:38 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
We're not talking about national monuments or historic sites in this thread.

A "National Seashore" is preserved, undeveloped land. It's equivalent to a "National Park", only on the ocean. It's semantics.

And just because a place is called something other than a "National Park" does not make it somehow inferior. On the east coast, a few of the most undeveloped spaces are designated as "Wildlife Refuges". That doesn't make them inferior to a "truly designated" National Park. You have to look beyond the name.

This is just not the case. I hope you are able to visit some of our wonderful National Parks, National Refuges, National Monuments, National Seashores, National Historic Sites, etc. and see the difference.

Good luck to all.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:02 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:

This is just not the case. I hope you are able to visit some of our wonderful National Parks, National Refuges, National Monuments, National Seashores, National Historic Sites, etc. and see the difference.

Good luck to all.
I've been to national parks all over the country. Bryce Canyon was my favorite in the west and Acadia is my favorite in the east. Do I expect to see find either of these in Maryland? No.

What differences are you talking about? Can you enlighten us, oh wise one?

This is the stupidest bone to pick anyone has ever had on city data.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
I have been to places in every single one of those categories, and also a couple of National Forests. The refuges, parks, forests and seashores all featured beautiful natural areas, and if you dropped me in the middle of one of them, and asked me to guess which category it was in, I would probably get it wrong.

(...unless I saw the ocean, then I'd guess "seashore" and have a pretty good chance of getting it right. LOL)

The differences are largely administrative. There are generally more restrictive rules about what you can do in a refuge, for instance. But I don't see how calling something a "park" elevates it over a "refuge" or a "seashore". You're applying a hierarchy to the national park system that doesn't exist in reality.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I actually have a question about the area too. I've been to Ocean City before (I live in Baltimore) but this year my family wants to visit Assateague Island. Anyone know if the best part of the national park is closer to Ocean City or to Chincoteague, Virginia? We're trying to decide where to find a motel.

But to the OP, Assateague Island is a nice national park/seashore right next to Ocean City. I think the beach is better than anywhere in New Jersey (they don't call it dirty Jersey or America's armpit for nothin and the water is probably as dirty as Mexico). I seen Venice Beach but it was a rainy and chilly day despite being in August so can't really judge that fairly. I personally prefer beaches in the Carolinas like the Outer Banks or Myrtle Beach over Ocean City.
Are you still sucking off New Jersey? Wow.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM

77 posts, read 158,812 times
I love Ocean City. There are plenty of people in your age range! There are families too but also a LOT of nightlife. Plenty of bars, clubs, beaches, etc. There is always something to do. Even walking the boards and riding rides is fun with friends your age

The water should be clearer this year as they have stopped off shore dredging. Also, stay away from OC in the beginning of June. There are tons of HS kids. Yet again, if you plan on going to bars it shouldn't bother you. Not many of them have fake ID's that will actually PASS. Good luck it's a nice place!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland