Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who could be MD first African American Governor?
Stephanie Rawlings Blake 4 25.00%
Rushern L. Baker III 1 6.25%
Micheal Steele 2 12.50%
Kweisi Mfume 1 6.25%
Kurt Schmoke 1 6.25%
None of these damn fools!!! 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Parris Glendening wasn't a born Marylander either.
Who said I supported Glendening as governor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Oh, and I did vote for Steele (he won all the GOP counties handily) when he ran against the wet blanket Cardin. Steele is a little goofy and speaks off the cuff too much, but I still like him. I don't think he would win the governorship though. The votes in his Senate race came down predictably on party rather than racial lines, I suspect the Governors race would be similar.
Steele seems incredibly unpopular in Baltimore City, perhaps even less popular than Ehrlich.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Steele seems incredibly unpopular in Baltimore City, perhaps even less popular than Ehrlich.
Steele lost the "Big 3" by huge margins in his Senate race, and narrowly lost Charles, Howard, and Baltimore County.

Maryland State Board of Elections

I suspect the returns would be the same if he ran for Governor against any Democrat with a pulse.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:
Steele lost the "Big 3" by huge margins in his Senate race, and narrowly lost Charles, Howard, and Baltimore County.

Maryland State Board of Elections

I suspect the returns would be the same if he ran for Governor against any Democrat with a pulse.
steele would win if he lost the token black republic mantra. not that he'd have to embrace every democratic value or belief but make an attempt at being moderate in a democratic state. he didn't play to win.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
steele would win if he lost the token black republic mantra. not that he'd have to embrace every democratic value or belief but make an attempt at being moderate in a democratic state. he didn't play to win.
Political positions of Michael Steele - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He seems pretty moderate for a Republican to me. If leaned any further towards the middle than he does all ready, he would lose his base. It is tough sledding for any GOP candidate in a statewide Maryland race. It takes a very "unique" Democrat to lose in Maryland.....*cough* KKT.

Here are some of the most memorable gaffes.

Asked to recount her favorite play after the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl last year, she said, "I loved it when we made that football. The Giants had just made a football, and we came right back."

Two years ago, at an address to Hispanic activists, she spoke of the need to hire people who "speak Hispanish" because "Hispanic is an important language to learn." While addressing gay-rights supporters, she referred to a nearby statue of Thurgood Marshall as a "statute." Twice. One reporter wrote of having to explain to her what the word "fatalist" meant.

The Next Kennedy (Kathleen Kennedy Townsend)

Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Asked to recount her favorite play after the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl last year, she said, "I loved it when we made that football. The Giants had just made a football, and we came right back."

Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 AM
(-)

Quote:
Political positions of Michael Steele - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He seems pretty moderate for a Republican to me. If leaned any further towards the middle than he does all ready, he would lose his base. It is tough sledding for any GOP candidate in a statewide Maryland race. It takes a very "unique" Democrat to lose in Maryland.....*cough* KKT.

Here are some of the most memorable gaffes.

Two years ago, at an address to Hispanic activists, she spoke of the need to hire people who "speak Hispanish" because "Hispanic is an important language to learn." While addressing gay-rights supporters, she referred to a nearby statue of Thurgood Marshall as a "statute." Twice. One reporter wrote of having to explain to her what the word "fatalist" meant.

The Next Kennedy (Kathleen Kennedy Townsend)
i think the problem is that he doesn't have a true base. he could be the most stringent republican in the state of maryland and folks west of frederick and north of bel air and south annapolis still wouldn't vote for him because of his color. so half of what would be traditional republican base in maryland is cut off already. he has to make that up somewhere.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
i think the problem is that he doesn't have a true base. he could be the most stringent republican in the state of maryland and folks west of frederick and north of bel air and south annapolis still wouldn't vote for him because of his color. so half of what would be traditional republican base in maryland is cut off already. he has to make that up somewhere.
Untrue. Look at the returns county by county in the link I previously posted from the state election board. Steele whipped Cardin decsively in GOP heavy counties, which are also the whitest counties in the state. He lost the election because he was unable to pry away members of his own race, who voted based on party lines/ideology rather than race.

Being unable to pry away voters of his own race, the election results were what you expect in Maryland, a comfortable win for whomever the Democrats nominate.....unless the Dem candidate thinks Hispanish is a language.

Last edited by westsideboy; 06-02-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM
(-)

Quote:
Untrue. Look at the returns county by county in the link I previously posted from the state election board. Steele whipped Cardin decsively in GOP heavy counties, which are also the whitest counties in the state. He lost the election because he was unable to pry away members of his own race, who voted based on party lines/ideology rather than race.

Being unable to pry away voters of his own race, the election results were what you expect in Maryland, a comfortable win for whomever the Democrats nominate.....unless the Dem candidate thinks Hispanish is a language.
there were plenty of black folks who voted for him, i was one of them

Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
there were plenty of black folks who voted for him, i was one of them
Just not enough to keep it even relatively close in either of the majority black juristictions in the state. He didn't need to win the majority of black votes to be Senator, just avoid the blowout. He didn't, he lost, that's Maryland politics in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland