Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who could be MD first African American Governor?
Stephanie Rawlings Blake 4 25.00%
Rushern L. Baker III 1 6.25%
Micheal Steele 2 12.50%
Kweisi Mfume 1 6.25%
Kurt Schmoke 1 6.25%
None of these damn fools!!! 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times

Advertisements

I think as long as you put it like "who's gonna be the first ___put race here___ governor, mayor, senator, president" then you're completely missing the point.

Your question should be, "who's gonna be the first governor, mayor, senator, president that will make our lives better".

Just because you get your first black, mexican, asian elects doesn't mean they're going to make YOUR life or YOUR race's life any better than any other elects in any race.

You know it's true. There are really great politicians that's fair and clear on what they're focused on, which is the greater good, and there are people who become a politician because they like to take free helicopter rides and argue and blame a lot.

Just my observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,442,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Untrue. Look at the returns county by county in the link I previously posted from the state election board. Steele whipped Cardin decsively in GOP heavy counties, which are also the whitest counties in the state. He lost the election because he was unable to pry away members of his own race, who voted based on party lines/ideology rather than race.

Being unable to pry away voters of his own race, the election results were what you expect in Maryland, a comfortable win for whomever the Democrats nominate.....unless the Dem candidate thinks Hispanish is a language.

This is true.

Most conservative voters would be absolutely thrilled to vote for a black conservative.

Look at the response Herman Cain is getting. He's the Tea Party favorite. He's really the only candidate the Reps have put up so far that I can really get excited about.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
"That would be awesome if Governor O'Malley becomes President."

I hope that's a joke. You mean the Martin O'Malley who wasn't in office 2 weeks yet when he raised the sales tax? The Martin O'Malley who would let ILLEGAL immigrants qualify for IN-STATE tuition?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Just not enough to keep it even relatively close in either of the majority black juristictions in the state. He didn't need to win the majority of black votes to be Senator, just avoid the blowout. He didn't, he lost, that's Maryland politics in a nutshell.
but if memory serves me correctly, when ehrlich won the first time, he had a sizeable black vote. why would they vote for ehrlich and not ehrlich-light?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Maryland State Board of Elections

I don't have the stats to break down the vote by race, but I can say that Ehrlich still lost the "big 3" to KKT, doing only slightly better when compared to what Steele did in his race. The key counties in 2002 were Baltimore County, where Ehrlich won by 70,000 votes, Steele lost it close. And Anne Arundel which Ehrlich won by about 50,000 votes. Steele won Anne Arundel by less than 20,000.

Honestly, the 2002 governors race was more about the negatives of KKT more than than the positives of Ehrlich. The GOP should erect a bronze "statute" in her honor for handing them the election.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 PM

143 posts, read 365,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
"That would be awesome if Governor O'Malley becomes President."

I hope that's a joke. You mean the Martin O'Malley who wasn't in office 2 weeks yet when he raised the sales tax? The Martin O'Malley who would let ILLEGAL immigrants qualify for IN-STATE tuition?
I don't like having a higher sales tax, but we need a balanced budget and I'd prefer that to a higher income tax. Our sales tax is still lower than many neighboring states. Immigrants are people too. I'm not sure why so many people come here illegally, but I know coyotes are well paid so money for paperwork probably isn't the reason. If we made it easier for people to come to this country legally (they're coming here legally or illegally even if you don't like it) then these people would be legal residents and we would better know who they are. This would also help us find people with foriegn criminal records easier (or domestic records (reentry).) Laws are important but there has to be some room for common sense, when you hear about people who came here when they were 2 getting thrown out when they're 23 and they have no connections outside the country it's pretty ridiculous.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 AM

316 posts, read 560,039 times
None of these damn fools!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 AM

501 posts, read 1,161,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilinglamp View Post
I don't like having a higher sales tax, but we need a balanced budget and I'd prefer that to a higher income tax. Our sales tax is still lower than many neighboring states. Immigrants are people too. I'm not sure why so many people come here illegally, but I know coyotes are well paid so money for paperwork probably isn't the reason. If we made it easier for people to come to this country legally (they're coming here legally or illegally even if you don't like it) then these people would be legal residents and we would better know who they are. This would also help us find people with foriegn criminal records easier (or domestic records (reentry).) Laws are important but there has to be some room for common sense, when you hear about people who came here when they were 2 getting thrown out when they're 23 and they have no connections outside the country it's pretty ridiculous.
This post is an incredible red herring. The post you quoted was expressing opposition to illegal immigrants getting IN-STATE TUITION. That proposal is more blatantly idiotic than I ever thought Marty and his team could be. It amazes me that the people of MD take the kind of bizarre rationalizing that you put forth here as a valid defense of that insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland