Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 06:25 AM

11 posts, read 58,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1970 View Post
..and like I said before, unless you work for the fedgov, county gov, or state gov, you cannot afford to live in this "glorified overpriced" state...they don't pay the average worker anything...like i also said before...if i would stay in Maryland I am heading to Garrett County up with the rest of the rednecks...!!!!

I hear ya girl! Iv'e lived in St. Mary's county all my life, they brought in all the IT and navair jobs and filled them with outside workers who then drove the housing prices up to a median price of 500,000... to purchase a home in st. mary's county you would need to have an income of over $80,000

But can't include working for the state to provide you with the income to live here ... cuz I work for the state and I don't make enough money to purchase a home... I'm running @ $50,000 short per year!

my parents bought a modest amish built house and had it placed on a lot, the house cost 68,000 to build and it is now assesed at 600,000. They are going to be forced to move because the yearly property taxes are well over 4,000 per year.. and on a retirement income they just cant afford it..

I love where I live but if I ever want to own my own home I will have to relocate...

Carebear I can fully agree with your manure comment... down here we have the "week enders" who dont want to look out the windows of their McMansions and see fishing nets in the river...

sorry watermen... trying to feed your families and make days work fishing... those nets are spoiling the lovely waterview for the rich....

all the locals to St. mary's are being pushed out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 12,545 times
Default Maryland ghetto....

First of all, I must say I am 34 yrs. old and have lived here in Maryland all of my life. I have lived in a few different counties now, but call Harford County home! As far as for the work with the pay difference, I agree!! Unless you have a degree and can get lucky enough to find a job out on the Proving Grounds your outta luck. There, is where the money is. Now we are moving in the BRAC, why not offer them jobs to the people around here instead of moving in all these people to just over crowd our city, schools etc. As if the driving here isn't bad enough!! NO IT'S NOT BALTIMORE, NEW YORK, PHILI. (all the big cities), but the point of the matter is why are WE so ghetto etc. Not the bigger citites. Personally, I can tell you that you don't have to worry though...give it about 5 more years or a few more, you won't be able to tell where Harford County ends and Baltimore County begins! The fact of the matter is we are WAY WAY WAY over crowded here and that's the number one reason why we are becomming ghetto! Our police like to run their mouths but do nothing when need be. They say they are cracking down on the gangs and drugs etc. THAT'S A JOKE!! We are trying this and that but nobody will ever gain control unless we swallow our pride and say enough is enough with all of this! Not just on gangs but everything!!! The kids can stand to your face and call you names etc right infront of the police mind you and the police just shake their heads, but do NOTHING. I live in the "projects" I know first hand how we are less cared about then anybody! If I owned my $200,000 home in certain areas and I called the police about something, I promise you that something would be done. But because my husband suffered from a major stroke & heart attack at the age of 39yrs old, (we lost everything even becomming homeless at one point), we now have live off of his SSDI and can't afford anywhere else to live except the "projects", but if I call the police they take their sweet time showing up and could care less about the problem. They just show up to show up more a less. This way it can't be reported that they didn't come! So you tell me, how is the crime to get any better? Our criminals are taking control, not us! To many people have to sit and worry about retalliation etc. Why is this? Because we are all talk, we do nothing to protect our citizens, we just like to run our mouths about the fact that this happend here or that happend here. I know for a fact that certain things that do happen never make it into the news for the public to hear around here. Hmmm wonder why this is? The crime rate is swallowing us whole, the cost of living is WAY above the cost of the pay!! And I don't want to hear this crap about "Well if you don't like it get off your butt and support your family to move out of there etc" because you want to know what I have to say to that? When you walk a mile in my shoes then you can tell me just how easy it is to live here. We are about MONEY MONEY MONEY here and it's just getting worse everyday! All I know is greed will kill ya, and the money well you can't take it with you when you die. And for the criminals, stop slapping them on the wrist!!!!! One last thing...there is a Sherrif in TX that I'd love to have here in our state anyday! He even makes the criminals wear pink boxers. I'd vote him for sherrif anyday, he don't have a mushy streak in his body, he's firm and stands for his beliefs....THAT'S WHAT MARYLAND NEEDS somebody who's not affraid to stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF THE CRIME, TAXES, AND HIGHWAY ROBBERIES THAT TAKE PLACE EVERYDAY TO OUR CITIZENS WHO MAKE US WHAT WE ARE AND PUT US WHERE WE ARE!! THINK ABOUT IT! If I had the money and place to go I'd get out of MD, ASAP but I'm stuck.....unless I hit the lottery MARYLAND IS NOT WHAT MARYLAND USED TO BE...SORRY!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:37 PM

276 posts, read 792,624 times
To all of those commenting on Maryland:
I was born and raised in MG and it was a wonderful place;however, the county has gone downhill. In fact, the state of my birth and youth has steadily declined in the quality of life. I'm sorry, but Maryland has gone down the tubes (and I am also a UMD graduate).

BUT- I moved to San Diego and it became LA. I moved to Colorado Springs and it became Denver. I moved to Florida in order to care for a loved one (mom had a stroke) and it is definitely the pits (I didn't move here on my own volition). Now, I am looking at KY, ME as well as other areas. For all of those who love the major metro areas I would just say that I respect your opinion and I hope that your life is fulfilling. Personally, I would just like a little space. I am sick of living around irresponsible people who have no respect for the right of another person to live in some sense of peace and harmony.

No, MD is not what it used to be, but that statement is also applicable to the aforementioned places as well as countless others. As I survey some of the state sites on this City Data Forum, I notice many people desiring to exit the crime/gang ridden congested cities looking for a better life (especially if they have children). They want essentially the same type of life that I had in Montgomery Co (that is no longer exists there). Many are fleeing CA,FL,MD, et al. I just thank God that I am not a kid now. Yes, MD stinks now, but I have seen this pattern all over the US. It really makes me sick at heart. Perhaps one could say that the entire nation is declining. Those desiring some peace are slowly being pushed into corners. In the 1960's people fled the large cities for the suburbs. Afterward, they fled to the country even farther away. Now, they flee entire states!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey, we are almost out of space!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:12 PM

58 posts, read 290,772 times
Default The World Changes

I presently live 3 miles from a gorgeous sub-tropical island beach on Florida’s Treasure Coast. I own a couple of modest residential properties nearby.

And, other than the costs and headaches of a minimal hurricane or three over the past few years, this particular Florida city, Stuart (a city that’s part of the best public school district in a state of poor public schools), is still a lovely, progressive, tightly regulated, low density zoning, 4-story building height-limit, slow growth/no growth development, old-Florida, small beach town, paradise community. Sorry for the labored construction but I am, after all, a graduate of Bladensburg Vocational High in the notorious Prince George’s County school district. (I’m kidding you Grasonville. You are all right with me )

The city of Stuart, FL. is – undoubtedly – STILL a great, safe place to raise a family (if you’re looking for such a place). (IMO)

Anyway, I have two sons. Both of these young men – a 25 year old (now of 20910 Silver Spring/ Bowie High) and a 23 year old (still of Mitchellville/Tall Oaks Vocational High) seem to prefer a life of what they now know and have grown up with and, apparently, in that very place that they will always consider to be their home – Metro DC.

It is true that good paying jobs ARE scarce on the Treasure Coast unless you are a professional. And, cost of living in Florida is fast increasing.

Now, don’t conclude that my boys don’t love it here in northern South Florida. They vacation here as often as possible. Although, when here, they do notice, uncomfortably, the stares they say that they often receive from local youth at their ‘PG authentic' style of dress. Kids here in Stuart dress like California beach surfers seems to me.

But, regardless of how others may view them, I know that I am a very fortunate man; my sons have grown into respectful, gentle, thoughtful young men.

So, while I may have a small means to get my kids started here should they ever choose, they both continue to prefer the current MD Metro DC area over a life of endless summer here in paradise.

Therefore, I believe that there are still native young people that do not find things so unlivable in PG County or inside the MD Beltway and continue to be satisfied to live in an ‘expensive ghetto’ as this thread labels the state of Maryland.

Yes, things are different. They always become so.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Floridahater did you stop to think that maybe the reason San Diego "became" LA, or Colorado Springs "became" Denver was because people like you moved there? You seem to have a "last person in and close the door" mentality on your relocations. If the place was good enough for you to move there, how can you complain when other people just like you do the same thing?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:26 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartSlate View Post
Sorry for the labored construction but I am, after all, a graduate of Bladensburg Vocational High in the notorious Prince George’s County school district. (I’m kidding you Grasonville. You are all right with me )

...........Anyway, I have two sons. Both of these young men – a 25 year old (now of 20910 Silver Spring/ Bowie High) and a 23 year old (still of Mitchellville/Tall Oaks Vocational High) seem to prefer a life of what they now know and have grown up with and, apparently, in that very place that they will always consider to be their home – Metro DC.
I have two sons as well - and I can't imagine them to be capable of buying a home in Montgomery County (where they currently rent apartments at over $1000.00 a month)

Yet they like living where they grew up - access to Metro and downtown DC attractions is a big plus for 20 somethings.

I personally can't imagine moving back across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - the Eastern Shore is definately a nicer slice of Maryland.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
No place is what it used to be. Almost everywhere is more crowded, more congested, and traffic is much worse. That is what comes from an increased population. It has happened to every city across the country. There's a few farm towns in the midwest that are losing population, but that's it. Everywhere else is bigger and worse.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 38,797 times
Default Safe To Travel

I've been reading some of these posts about PG county and Maryland and I'm a little worried. I thought PG County was upscale. Also, I've been invited to visit friends who live on Ludham in Silver Spring and I'm wondering if I should stay in the city and just visit them during the day. I think that's an area for older adults. Any advice.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyg View Post
I've been reading some of these posts about PG county and Maryland and I'm a little worried. I thought PG County was upscale. Also, I've been invited to visit friends who live on Ludham in Silver Spring and I'm wondering if I should stay in the city and just visit them during the day. I think that's an area for older adults. Any advice.
Nope - PG is definately NOT upscale in the areas close to Silver Spring - you say Silver Spring - older adults - do you mean Leisure World?

Edited to say I looked it up and it IS Leisure World - which is a very nice community - just stay out of the Giant Grocery store - those motorized wheelchairs can mow you down in an instant!!

(Just joshing - my Mom lives in Leisure World )

Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 AM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
I personally do not see much of Maryland being ghetto, no more ghetto then other states. It is exspensive here but there is soo much to do! And can you say JOBS JOBS JOBS??? Crime is everywhere haven't you read the memo? Mainly the ghettos are located around the the outskirts of DC and Baltimore other then that where else is their ghettos? If you do not like it here, then why arent you moving somewhere else, it is obviously cheaper to live a lot of other places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland