Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,259 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love the Chesapeake Bay as well as the DE/MD ocean front and plan on moving south, would anyone recommend relocating to Calvert or St. Mary's County? I'm looking at Leonardtown, Lexington Park, and Solomons in specific. I've visited many places along the East and West Coast of DE, MD and VA. So far I would have to say that the greater Hampton Roads region (Mathews and York County as well as the independent cities of Hampton and Newport News), Sussex County of DE, and Worchester County of MD are my favorite places. As far as job prospects go, the western shore seems to be the safer bet (with the exception of development along the Atlantic). I am an Urban and Regional Planning major by the way. In general, I am looking for more wooded rural areas (areas with little suburban sprawl in particular). Thank you! Sorry for the never-ending post, I am just looking for a little insight.

Last edited by zcg4755; 06-15-2011 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,024,590 times
You can get plenty of information on these sites:

Southern Maryland Onlineâ„¢ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.â„¢ On the column on the left side, click on "Employment".

Life in Southern Maryland - Southern Maryland Community Forums

Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 PM

201 posts, read 571,173 times
I'm actually very interested in this same topic. Hope this thread gets some more replies!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM

44,942 posts, read 59,942,524 times
Calvert has almost tripled in population since 1985- 35K to around 90K today. It is mostly rural, still, but there are major Town Centers and two incorporated municipalities in the north end by the Bay (North and Chesapeake Beach). You can be driving along a rural road and, shazam, come onto a McMansion development.

St. Mary's is really rural with the most urbanized area being around NAS PAX in Lexington Park. Leonardtown is the only incorporated municipality in the County. There has been some growth in the north end of it, also but below LP it becomes really rural with miles and miles of miles and miles. Mostly farms. Oldest daughter just bought an old farm house north of LP and Leonardtown and is still pretty isolated. She's about a mile from the Potomac River there. Population of St. Mary's is around 100K.

Calvert is more commutable to DC. Both Counties have Planning Departments but I don't know their hiring statuses right now.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
I live in Lusby, five miles north of Solomons. There are some beautiful rural areas in southern Calvert County. I would suggest you search St. Leonard, Broomes Island, Port Republic, Lusby and Solomons. It is not a bad commute to Washington or Annapolis (depends on traffic, but generally an hour to 1 1/2 hours). There is a commuter bus system that runs through Calvert County into Washington, DC.

If you have children, the school system in Calvert County is very good.

You might want to check out the Calvert County Government website (co.cal.md.us)for job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland