Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2011, 04:06 PM
 
Location: The Bay and Maryland
1,361 posts, read 3,721,204 times
Reputation: 2167

Advertisements

It seems like there has been a string of senseless violent incidents at public events in DC and Baltimore recently. It makes me wary of going to festivals that I usually attend every year. For example, the Carribean Day Festival in DC looked like total chaos two weeks ago. I'm glad I didn't go. There was a massive fight between teenagers and early 20's hoodrats and an innocent bystander got shot and killed near Howard University. It looked scary :



I love that Howard University area and U Street. It is usually very quiet, mature and laid-back if you stay on the beaten path.

Also, in Baltimore over Fourth of July weekend, someone from out of town was stabbed to death in the Inner Harbor over a petty argument by random idiots with a broken glass bottle. A four year old boy was also shot in the leg downtown.

Man stabbed to death in downtown Baltimore - baltimoresun.com

We all know that Baltimore and DC aren't soft cities but it is getting ridiculous out here. You don't even have to look for trouble to find it anymore. My buddy tells me about a festival in Baltimore tonight. I might not go. I went to a concert in the hood in Baltimore off of Edmonson two weeks ago and a bunch of hood teenagers walking by commented that me and my friend "looked like we were from DC or something" and "f*cking out of towners". That could have turned into an ugly situation. It feels like its becoming the 80's and early 90's again.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-09-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the Eastern Seaboard.......
316 posts, read 561,941 times
Reputation: 192
Smh, that's terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 14,018,780 times
Reputation: 3222
This is the kind of video that makes you ashamed of being black.

To your point about the howard area, the area has not really been safe. Maybe it's getting better and perhaps it doesn't usually get that bad, but when I went to howard there always stuff happening. It's ashamed that these young people have no morals or principles. I think dc police should be ashamed as well because there should have been a bigger police presence given the number of people out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM
 
Location: The Bay and Maryland
1,361 posts, read 3,721,204 times
Reputation: 2167
I think the recession is turning the young generation into the "I don't give a #$@!" generation. Youngins are the hardest hit by the tough economy. A lot of them can't even get summer jobs because illegal immigrants who don't speak English and older college grads who can't find real jobs have taken their jobs and money. So now you have kids that would be doing the right thing acting a fool because they are so fed up and want to take that rage out on anyone for no reason. They plain just don't give a %$&!. That's my take on the situation across the country in 2011 and beyond if things don't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM
 
Location: The Bay and Maryland
1,361 posts, read 3,721,204 times
Reputation: 2167
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
This is the kind of video that makes you ashamed of being black.

To your point about the howard area, the area has not really been safe. Maybe it's getting better and perhaps it doesn't usually get that bad, but when I went to howard there always stuff happening. It's ashamed that these young people have no morals or principles. I think dc police should be ashamed as well because there should have been a bigger police presence given the number of people out there.
But you can easily find videos of White people acting like this at Hockey games. In France, they riot all the time. They are constantly burning things down and looting. We are complacent and well-behaved compared to them. This type of behavior is spreading like wildfire throughout the world. Look at what happened in the Middle East earlier this year.

The Youth Unemployment Bomb - BusinessWeek

I think the difference between the disenfranchised youth in America and overseas is that the most disadvantaged young people here are brainwashed, extremely dumbed down and not directing their anger towards all out revolution like what is happening all over the globe. If Public Enemy was on the radio today, there would be massive riots, not over the newest retro Jordans and Nike Foamposites or "set tripping", but over real persisting issues that need to be fixed in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 14,018,780 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
But you can easily find videos of White people acting like this at Hockey games. In France, they riot all the time. They are constantly burning things down and looting. We are complacent and well-behaved compared to them. This type of behavior is spreading like wildfire throughout the world. Look at what happened in the Middle East earlier this year.

The Youth Unemployment Bomb - BusinessWeek

I think the difference between the disenfranchised youth in America and overseas is that the most disadvantaged young people here are brainwashed, extremely dumbed down and not directing their anger towards all out revolution like what is happening all over the globe. If Public Enemy was on the radio today, there would be massive riots, not over the newest retro Jordans and Nike Foamposites or "set tripping", but over real persisting issues that need to be fixed in this country.
I'm well aware of other races who do these things but it doesn't make me proud. It's no different than having your children doing something stupid, most people won't say oh well other kids do the same thing. More than likely you will be embarassed that it was your kids. That's how I feel about this video. It's just completely unneccesary. I do agree with you about the jobs though. That probably makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,394 posts, read 15,718,985 times
Reputation: 6264
They're very soft cities, soft on violent crime, particularly if committed by a minor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Back and Forth FRANCE
2,713 posts, read 3,030,508 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
This is the kind of video that makes you ashamed of being black.

To your point about the howard area, the area has not really been safe. Maybe it's getting better and perhaps it doesn't usually get that bad, but when I went to howard there always stuff happening. It's ashamed that these young people have no morals or principles. I think dc police should be ashamed as well because there should have been a bigger police presence given the number of people out there.
Sometimes it's like these people are in a third world country. It's pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Back and Forth FRANCE
2,713 posts, read 3,030,508 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
We all know that Baltimore and DC aren't soft cities but it is getting ridiculous out here. You don't even have to look for trouble to find it anymore. My buddy tells me about a festival in Baltimore tonight. I might not go. I went to a concert in the hood in Baltimore off of Edmonson two weeks ago and a bunch of hood teenagers walking by commented that me and my friend "looked like we were from DC or something" and "f*cking out of towners". That could have turned into an ugly situation. It feels like its becoming the 80's and early 90's again.
It's Sad. Some Residents are using the "taxes" excuse for why people leave cities like Baltimore. 30k people don't leave a city because of taxes. They leave because of crime, and incidents like the you had.

People can not walk down some streets anymore without someone else verbally harassing or trying to start a fight with them.

It's disgusting.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 07-09-2011 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 01:16 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in the Eastern Seaboard.......
316 posts, read 561,941 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
This is the kind of video that makes you ashamed of being black.
I agree.

Race certainly isn't something to be proud of because their will be some ignorant folks in every race portraying the negative stereotypes and making a fool of themselves regardless. But at the same time if you don't act like those folks in that video, it isn't anything to feel ashamed of either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top