Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times

Advertisements

There were a number of HS aged dancers that my gf teaches that lost their MD scholarships because of a lack of funds and then this came out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
I often hear the argument that these individuals can't control what their parents have done and they should not be punished for their parents decision. WELL GUESS WHAT? We are all affected by the decisions our parents made. Whether you were born in poverty or in wealth, whether you were born in a family or with a single mother, whether you were born in a hospital or in the backseat of a car, our parents will always have an affect on where we are. If this is supposedly the logic behind this, then why not give money to individuals who parents are strung out on drugs, or beat on each other, WHEN DOES IT STOP? We have to stop making stupid excuses for these people! Too many times in this country, people want to make laws to be enforced based on their emotion and not based on how it is written. It doesn't matter how they got over here, what circumstance they are in, all that matter is, ARE THEY ILLEGAL? If so, then they need to be sent packing. Don't give them any money, don't give them any services, and I guarantee they will deport themselves. Maryland Residents are fed up, with sorry services, a lying governor, and people who aren't even legal in this country getting handouts. Kids are losing scholarships because of these people. We are talking about hard-working LEGAL adults, who have paid taxes for years upon years, have highly performing students and they can't get scholarship help because the money is going to people who are even legally in this country? Please.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I'm happy it will be voted on so we can vote that sucka down! Seriously, I thought the legislature was going to pass this and we would get no vote. It's good to have a chance to have a say in this legislation. Of course, I'm voting against it. I hope you are too.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
It's not a free education; it is in-state tuition for STUDENTS who live in this state.

"To qualify for the tuition break, an illegal immigrant would have to attend high school in Maryland for three years and show that his or her family had filed state tax returns. The student could then attend a community college at the in-state rate. After completing 60 credits, he or she could transfer to a four-year college, again at the residential discount."

Seems to be a fair option. Why not allow these students who already live in Maryland and whose families are filing state tax returns an opportunity for an education and to contribute to the economy? What is the alternative? Make it too expensive so that they cannot obtain an education and get a job?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM

297 posts, read 1,273,153 times
sobo16 asked: What is the alternative? Make it too expensive so that they cannot obtain an education and get a job?

Here's the alternative - have them deported! They are here ILLEGALLY!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 AM

501 posts, read 1,160,834 times
Thank GOD we are voting on it! I filled out my petition with my family and sent it into the office of Pat McDonough- so you can thank me for helping make this come to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
I am appalled that this is even an issue. They are here ILLEGALLY! As someone who went through the LONG process of legally becoming a naturalized citizen, I am offended that those who are here against the law are getting a financial benefit out of it!
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandre View Post
I think that everyone gotta have a chance gna mean? You gotta give some people a chance to make it or there isnt even a reason for no hope. People gotta learn to share the wealth there some that dont got nothing gna mean and they aint even got no way to even make it.
What the hell does this even mean? I can see that the wealth that was "shared" and given to you wasn't quite wealthy enough to teach to basic English, was it?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandre View Post
I think that everyone gotta have a chance gna mean? You gotta give some people a chance to make it or there isnt even a reason for no hope. People gotta learn to share the wealth there some that dont got nothing gna mean and they aint even got no way to even make it.
why should the children of illegal immigrants be given a better chance than legal, American kids born in pennsylvania?

makes no sense.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM

501 posts, read 1,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post

What the hell does this even mean? I can see that the wealth that was "shared" and given to you wasn't quite wealthy enough to teach to basic English, was it?
I meant "teach you" - seeing such a moronic, senseless, entitled, unapologetic post stunned me a bit to be honest...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Do what's right Maryland. Show your far left whimp of a governor that the people of that beautiful state don't want foreign nationals benefiting from tax dollars!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 AM

316 posts, read 559,748 times
Hopefully the voters make the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland