Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,345 times

Advertisements

What is the typical area like crime wise for Lanham MD? Anything good in the surrounding areas? Moving from Jersey and I need to know where to look for Apartments in a low crime ridden area. Please let me know!! Thanks everyone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Any of the counties adjoining DC or Baltimore are somewhat crime ridden compared to the outying counties, but the county that Lanham is in is probably the worst.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Any of the counties adjoining DC or Baltimore are somewhat crime ridden compared to the outying counties, but the county that Lanham is in is probably the worst.
That's such a blanket statement, that's like saying the US has crime. Just a really unnecessary uneducated comment that doesn't settle anything for this person.

If you are looking for specific detail about crime, I would recommend you check out the apartmentratings.com website. It gives you a pretty good insight on things. As far as my personal experience with Lanham, I've never known Lanham to have particularly safe apartments. I admit it will be hard to find safe apartments, but there are a few gated communities that are much safer around certain parts of PG. I also know of some safer apartments in Bowie, which is next to Lanham, and is considered a much nicer area than Lanham. It just depends on what your budget is, what areas you consider (besides Lanham), and how close you want to be to certain things (like the Metro, bus route, shopping, major roads, schools).

Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,345 times
My fiance is going to be working in Lanham and we are looking at Bowie...is that a better place to live in? Should we look for a gated community?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
That's such a blanket statement, that's like saying the US has crime. Just a really unnecessary uneducated comment that doesn't settle anything for this person.
Pray tell, which MD county would you say has a worse crime rate than PG?

Old 07-17-2011, 01:06 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell707 View Post
My fiance is going to be working in Lanham and we are looking at Bowie...is that a better place to live in? Should we look for a gated community?
Bowie is definitely better than Lanham, and it's nearby. Go for it! I don't know about whether it is necessary to be a gated community or not.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Pray tell, which MD county would you say has a worse crime rate than PG?
I didn't disagree with you, I just don't see how that statement is helping her out. I'm assuming she doesn't know much about the area. If you were in her shoes and you didn't know much about the area and someone told you that the whole DC area is dangerous, what would that mean to you? Of course PG has a worse crime rate than every other place, but a) majority of the crime is inside the beltway, b) there are nicer areas, and c) other counties have bad areas too. And to that last point, if she moved to another county, let's say, Montgomery County and let's say she moved to Wheaton, then what would you say? That PG has a higher crime rate. She would still be in a bad area. People come onto this site looking for information and all you have to offer is a generic statement about a place that you probably don't know two cents about, really? If you want to be help, why don't you tell her specific places to avoid, oh that's right, you only know PG County is dangerous and that's as far as your research has gone.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I didn't disagree with you, I just don't see how that statement is helping her out. I'm assuming she doesn't know much about the area. If you were in her shoes and you didn't know much about the area and someone told you that the whole DC area is dangerous, what would that mean to you? Of course PG has a worse crime rate than every other place, but a) majority of the crime is inside the beltway, b) there are nicer areas, and c) other counties have bad areas too. And to that last point, if she moved to another county, let's say, Montgomery County and let's say she moved to Wheaton, then what would you say? That PG has a higher crime rate. She would still be in a bad area. People come onto this site looking for information and all you have to offer is a generic statement about a place that you probably don't know two cents about, really? If you want to be help, why don't you tell her specific places to avoid, oh that's right, you only know PG County is dangerous and that's as far as your research has gone.

Let me rephrase it then. If you choose to live in PG county your home value will be impacted by the fact that it is in PG county and most people won't look for homes in that county. Right now, if you look in the DC forums, you will see posts about how gentrification in DC neighborhoods is pushing crime outside the District and beltway in, wait...

... PG county!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 AM

219 posts, read 594,821 times
Please do not listen to Cuzincat, there are areas in PG county that are dangerous, but there are also many areas that are nice and have million dollar homes and country clubs (Woodmore, Ft. Washington, Lake Arbor, Mitchelleville, Bowie). I would try to avoid areas inside the Beltway such as Suitland, Capitol Heights, District Heights, parts of Landover and Lanham as well.

Look at some places in Largo, Bowie, College Park, Greenbelt, or Fort Washington these tend to be areas in PG where most affluent African-Americans live. Fort Washington may be a further commute for you but the rest provide easy access to Lanham as well as the metro and shopping. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell707 View Post
You can try Heather Ridge apts. in Bowie. Looks like there have been some recent crime issues. You may want to check crime reports for the area. Even so, you would be better off there than the complexes I have seen in the Lanham area.

Heather Ridge is near the Bowie Town Center shopping mall and the new city hall.

Heather Ridge Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Bowie apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

There are also apt. complexes in Greenbelt, which is close to Lanham.

Last edited by bowian; 07-21-2011 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: added information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland