Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2006, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 8,875 times

Advertisements

I am 23 yrs old and will soon be re locating to the Maryland area. My boyfriend will be taking a job which requires him to travel to DC. I have taken employment near Baltimore.

I was wondering what is a great place to live in between those two areas that is good for young people?? close to bars, entertainment, and close to major highways, but still able in a laid back area.

Also what are the travel opportunites or best ways to travel for commuting to Baltimore via metro/MARC???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 02:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I've been doing a lot of research into Annapolis lately while planning a vacation, and the city seems to be very well-cultured, very clean, and very convenient to both Baltimore and DC (About 30-45 minutes from each it appears, depending on traffic). I'm noticing a lot of mostly "upscale" advertisers in the tourism publications I've been scouring, so I'd have to infer that the cost-of-living here is very expensive. To me, this sounds like a utopia to visit with its historic downtown and, of course, the US Naval Academy, but I don't know if you'll be able to afford it (Or even if I can find an affordable hotel within walking distance to the city!)

Judging from my atlas, I'd also bring up towns such as Laurel and Columbia, but others from Maryland would have to consult you on those areas, closer to I-95 (I'm just a da*n Yankee! LOL!) Good luck! ;o)

Old 09-02-2006, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 27,872 times
Libby

I am a 34 year old "Annapolitan" and have lived in this area all my life. The downtown area of Annapolis is a hot spot for young people - if you want to visit the bars/restaurants/shops all you need to do is park downtown and everything is within walking distance. You are also close to the DC/Baltimore area. The Annapolis area is pretty pricey when it comes to housing - my husband and I are just about to list our 2/3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath townhouse for $325k - which is actually considered pretty reasonable in this area. We live right outside of Arnold, but its still considered Annapolis. I actually love Annapolis and its pretty easy for a young couple to meet a lot of nice young professionals here. Plus living close to the water (mostly everywhere in Annapolis is either on or close to the water) makes hanging out in Annapolis during the spring and summer great fun.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will be happy to help!

Old 09-02-2006, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 27,872 times
Posted to quick, didn't see the questions about commuting. Annapolis is close to all the major beltways. DC is about 40 - 45 minutes from here (considering traffic) and Baltimore is about 20 -25. Not too familiar with the MARC, but I occasionally worked in Alexandria, VA and took the Metro there from a station about 20 minutes from here. You can take the MARC from the BWI station, which is again about 20 minutes from here.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 AM

262 posts, read 2,021,749 times
Annapolis!!!!!

Mrs. Bridge described pretty well. Lots of great restaurants and bars, cool touristy stuff, and you're right on the water. It's a blast.

Second choice would be Columbia, third would be Laurel (really! I enjoy going out in Laurel, but it's a little more lowbrow, honestly...)

Let me know if oyu have any questions!

Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Either way be prepared for some awful commutes, especially the one into D.C. -- into Baltimore won't be as bad.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:02 AM

19 posts, read 81,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Either way be prepared for some awful commutes, especially the one into D.C. -- into Baltimore won't be as bad.
I'll second that, Annapolis is a very cool city but the commute into DC (I'm assuming downtown/NW) is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland