Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 02:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times

Advertisements

I always thought a toboggan was a sled...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,186 times
Downy Ocean - making a trip to Ocean City "I'm going downy ocean with my kids."
Sittin' on the stoop - sitting on the front porch of a rowhouse; stoop is pronounced with the thick Murrlyn accent too

Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 PM

389 posts, read 796,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
We have Hon out in Western Maryland too, although you are just as likely to hear the full version "Honey"
instead. "Hey honey, how was your day?"

I am not sure there is much state-wide slang since the state is part of least 4 different dialectal regions. Here are some from my area, most of it is Western PA "slang."

Tobaggon = knit hat
skiff = small dusting of snow
Up the Crick, Down the Crick = refers to what town residents of the Georges Creek Valley hail from
Dumb as a coal shovel = self-explanatory
Rumbumb = not one I use, but a "Crickism" meaning stupid.
Buggy = shopping cart
Stove = to push in "I went up for the rebound and stoved my finger real bad"
Homecoming = Fort Hill vs. Allegany in varsity football
The Avenue = Virginia Ave
The Stadium = Greenway Ave. stadium
Downstate = everything east of Sideling Hill
Sweeper = vaccuum cleaner
Pocket Book = Purse
Hmmm... The others I've used or heard before, but I've never heard the expression "dumb as a coal shovel" or the word "rumbumb" before. Maybe it's just me. You can't forget my personal favorite, "ignurnt," meaning rude. In reference to "hoodie," my sisters, my friends, and I all use that word and I can't really think of any other word that would describe one. It probably came around with pop culture, when stores starting using it, etc. Then again, I'm also 18 years old and who knows how old you are so that might be where the disparity lies.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:29 PM

201 posts, read 573,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
You can't forget my personal favorite, "ignurnt," meaning rude.
Haha do you know how many times a day I say "ignurnt"?
A lot!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM

7,001 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Hmmm... The others I've used or heard before, but I've never heard the expression "dumb as a coal shovel" or the word "rumbumb" before. Maybe it's just me. You can't forget my personal favorite, "ignurnt," meaning rude. In reference to "hoodie," my sisters, my friends, and I all use that word and I can't really think of any other word that would describe one. It probably came around with pop culture, when stores starting using it, etc. Then again, I'm also 18 years old and who knows how old you are so that might be where the disparity lies.
Dumb as a coal shovel comes right from my grandma who lived her whole life in Eckhart. She said it with as much frustration as venom. "Rumdumb" I heard from a 50 something women from Coney. I had never heard it before either. Apparantly she had a whole bag of "Crickisms" that would slip out from time to time, but "rumdumb" is the only one I remember. Ask some of your older relatives and see if they know the term.

I first heard "hoodie" in about 1998. I have no doubt it has permeated mass culture since then. Before they were just hooded sweatshirts.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 28,750 times
What about "hon," though to think that cafe owner trademarked and owns that word in the context of Baltimore. Ridiculous!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Hon is just the Midland dialect's version of the Southern dialect's "Sug." Both are shortened form of pet names, honey and sugar. I am not sure why Baltimore gets the "credit" for the term since I think it is common in most Midland dialects.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I always thought a toboggan was a sled...
same here. and knit hats were ski caps.

i liked 'chicken necker,' hadn't heard that one before.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM

What is a Toboggan? Hat or Sled?

Tuque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems to be a North/South dialectal divide....which makes perfect sense in a border state like Maryland.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,627 times
Default (I'm from Kent Island)

Where I'm from, about around southern Maryland, we call things about the same but we do say some pronunciation alittle odd
1) egg- "eayhg"
2) leg- "laayhg"
3) skirt- "skurt"
4) door- "dour"
5) out- "owut"
6) waffle- "wuaffle"
7) America- "amuirca"
8) drink- "drin' " (silent k)
9) soda- "pop"
Those are just a some of the words that my cousins make sure to ride my bumper about. There are some phrases too..
"On the same boat": means that they are in the same situation
"Forgot to forget": you remember it, but you just don't want to do it
"Dumb as a door nob": obviously means your stupid, no common sense
"Frick-frack": means to have sex or do something sexual
"Over yonder": over there
"A cent 89": it means it's expensive, but it's important
"Took a pounding": they've been through a lot
We also call the Chesapeake bay bridge just "The Bridge"
There are a lot more but I can't remember all of them right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland