Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
He would be nuts to run for president. If there was another candidate that ran that wasn't ehrlich I don't think he would be governor. He has not done much for this state and at this point, when you compare the state of md to a state like va, there's no comparison. We have a very similar if not better economic climate and he has done very little to bring more jobs or to raise the quality of life here. If he continues to push this legislation, I'm very certain this will make it on the ballot and this would further prove that he does not represent the views of most md residents.
Disagree that anyone would have beat him. The state is hopeless, the electorate's majority (Baltimore City, Montgomery County, PG County) is a bunch of mindless sheep, and the state is going to be ruled by extremist liberal nanny-staters for the foreseeable future.

Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I am not a big fan of referendum's either, but I would say there is a need for them if the elected officials are passing laws contrary to the will of the people. It is a strange situation where there may be slim majority of support in a majority of legistative districts, thus encouraging those reps to vote "Yea" in order to represent their constituants, and save their jobs.

In the other districts, the opposition may be nearly universal. So we have a strange situation where a majority of the legislators feel compeled to vote "Yea," even if the majority of the state's citizens as a whole say "Nay." I think of it like winning the popular vote in a Presidential election, but losing the electoral college.

In these situations, I think a referendum can be an appropriate tool.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
"The views of most Maryland voters" supports same-sex marriage or civil unions. You dear sir are in the minority.

Poll: Majority in state back gay marriage • Top Stories (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital) (http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/TOP/2011/01/25-50/Poll-Majority-in-state-back-gay-marriage.html - broken link)

Actually what's so interesting about this report is that they stated that Obama's support was at 54% approval, but on the gallup poll they stated during that time that his approval ratings was 50%. So what's my point? People will use statistics in anyway that they want to make a point. A newspaper stating that most Maryland voters support this doesn't have any merit. These are statistical projections made by scientific formulas. These statistics do not represent the true view of Marylanders. We will know the truth when it is on the ballot.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Disagree that anyone would have beat him. The state is hopeless, the electorate's majority (Baltimore City, Montgomery County, PG County) is a bunch of mindless sheep, and the state is going to be ruled by extremist liberal nanny-staters for the foreseeable future.

Just sayin.

I can't really argue with that.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Ehrlich was running neck and neck with O'Malley up until the last few weeks before the election, when his support nose-dived. His chances really rested on being able to slice away enough wealthy MoCo and other suburban Dems on O'Malley's tax record. I think his drop in poll numbers started when he publically advocated slaughtering the sacred cow of Thorton Education funding for the rich counties, and when O'Malley began to successfully paint Ehrlich as an incumbant himself with a record of raising fees.

In reality Ehrlich only won in 2002 because his opponent thought that you built bronze STATUTES in honor of famous people, that HISPANISH was an important language for young people to learn, and whose favorite part of the Raven's Super Bowl win was when the Ravens came right back and made that football right after the Giants had made a football. Ahhh....how I long for the days of KKT, she gave Republicans in Maryland a glimmer of hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland