Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,165,014 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this but decided on the Maryland forum since that's where I live. Has anyone else had a problem with a huge increase in the volume of door-to-door salespeople ringing their doorbells? It has gotten past the point of just a minor annoyance. Every week I have a minimum of 5 or 6 interruptions from salespeople trying to sell me something I neither want nor need. And this doesn't even include the people "selling" their respective religions. It's home improvements, alarm systems, electricity, cable, newspapers, household products, etc., etc.

I mean, a decision on a major expenditure like replacing my windows or my roof wouldn't just occur to me on whim because someone came to my door and suggested it. I wonder how productive these type of cold calls really are for the vendor. I do feel bad for the salespeople themselves as I know jobs are hard to come by, but this particular job just seems like a terrible way to try to make a living.

I finally put up a "No Soliciting" sign which has cut down on the number of calls although they haven't stopped altogether.

I live in a townhouse development and that may be part of the reason. A salesperson can hit a lot of houses in a short period of time. And I'm semi-retired, and when I do work I usually work from home, so that may be why it's so noticeable to me.

Anyone else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
It is probably a "Gypsy" scam. Make sure the back door and basement door are locked while the guy at the front door distracts you.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:30 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,943,169 times
Yes, and my community has a no soliciting sign, too. I simply don't answer the door. I don't even bother to keep quiet inside, either. Eventually they leave.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM

32 posts, read 99,177 times
I have a "no soliciting, no religious inquires" sign posted clearly on my front door. If they still knock, they're introduced to my German Shepherd

Old 08-21-2011, 06:21 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,165,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherdMom View Post
I have a "no soliciting, no religious inquires" sign posted clearly on my front door. If they still knock, they're introduced to my German Shepherd
I hear you! I have a 97 pound Rottweiller/Lab mix who is really a sweetheart, but luckily strangers don't know that. I'm working on the training, but she is a rescue, and since I didn't adopt her until she was a couple of years old, she still has problems with the "stay" command. Whenever anyone rings the bell she goes barreling toward the front door growling and barking like Stephen King's Cujo, and that does make them back down the walk. But unfortunately, it doesn't keep them from ringing the bell in the first place.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
I've had it for a while, but finally put the "Come Back With A Warrant" mat at the front door. I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 PM

251 posts, read 722,064 times
These types of cold calls are actually pretty effective. I know someone who was going door to door selling window replacements and would get 10 "sales" a week. I put sales in quotes because someone esle in the company negotiated how much work would be done (if any) and at what cost. Anyway, any initial positive response to the solicitation was enough to get a commision and the work is a pretty good day job for a "starving artist" type who needs steady-ish income between gigs.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,636 times
Most door-to-door sales people tend to go to communities with high numbers of seniors. you don't really see too many of them in younger neighborhoods.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
Most door-to-door sales people tend to go to communities with high numbers of seniors. you don't really see too many of them in younger neighborhoods.
Which my area is indeed.... Olde Brooklyn Park.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I hear you! I have a 97 pound Rottweiller/Lab mix who is really a sweetheart, but luckily strangers don't know that. I'm working on the training, but she is a rescue, and since I didn't adopt her until she was a couple of years old, she still has problems with the "stay" command. Whenever anyone rings the bell she goes barreling toward the front door growling and barking like Stephen King's Cujo, and that does make them back down the walk. But unfortunately, it doesn't keep them from ringing the bell in the first place.
Yeah same thing here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland